Test ride 02 LTE - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Test ride 02 LTE

Any suggestions on what to look for on an 02LTE (blk), The bike was a foreclousure from BMW financing and a BMW used car dealership bought it. I would like to know if there are any visual points and/or riding clues that may indicate that this is one of the few problem bikes. She has about 9500 miles and they are asking $13450.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:56 pm
Super Moderator

Check for any noise frlom the rear drive and/or side-to-side play in the rear wheel. Either of these could be indicators of a failing rear end. If there's a bike dealer nearby find out of they seller wil let you take it there to get a once over from the dealership. Short of that, take it for a test ride and see how it feels.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:17 pm

For that kind of money, I would look for an '03 with low mileage.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
For that kind of money, I would look for an '03 with low mileage.
For $13450, I'd be looking for an '04 with similar mileage! Of course...they'll probably come down. Hopefully, a LOT!
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 1:05 am
Cat Herder

Garage
I am riding an '02 LTE it is a great bike because it comes with all of the extras... and you will love them all!!!
1st get the dealer to drop the price at least $1000 - $1500. I bought mine in '04 with 4500 miles on it and it was still in warranty plus extras for $13,000.
If they are going to be the usual assholes that car dealers are make sure you get a 3 year extended warranty with the bike. Thats worth $12-$1500

I have seen many '02 LTE's for sale for $12k and under with no extended coverage...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 7:57 pm

This sounds okay but the 2005 you were looking at at the dealers sounded pretty good with all the equipment you were getting. You could probably move them down a little then you would have a like new motorcycle with a warranty.

Just a thought so you don't forget the one at the dealers..........Regards Pete
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 9:34 pm

02 Lte

I have about 37K miles on my 02 LTE and with the exception of the replacement of electrical items in the comms nothing happened. I bought an extended warranty and within a few months the ABS pump was replaced and the Pinnacle warranty paid for itself. I have enjoyed riding the bike and feel comfortable recommending one as I am keeping mine due to reliability and comfort.
Jim
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Last week I was at my dealer, and he has a 03 that had less than 5000 miles on it that was immaculate. He sold it that morning for 8900.00. Had my appointment been in the morning instead of the afternoon, I would have bought it myself. I think 8900 for an 03 is outrageously low, but I also think 13500 for an 02 is way to much.
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 9:01 am

I agree with jrlakin. $13K for an 02 is too much. Heck I'd sell my 03 with 12K miles for $12K. The dealer is looking for someone who is into the "status" of BMW, I guess.

Either they come off the price or keep looking. But if you are set on it, look for the already mentioned points, as well as any evidence of it being dropped or crashed. i.e., scrapes on lower side of tipover wings and sidecase trim. Look for other scratches on bodywork or eveidence that it has been repainted. Is one side shinier than the other? Lever ends, peg ends, underside of footpegs. The footpegs could be scraped from aggressive riding. Mine are. Same things you would check on any bike.

Randy
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 10:20 am

If you pay that kind of money for an '02, you are getting raped dealer or not.. I would pass on it. If you can spend that kind of money on the bike, take your time and don't rush into it !!!! Find a good deal on an '04 or '05 or spend significantly less on an '03 ....

Don't fall for it !!!!! If it is a foreclosure, BMW is dying to get out of it... They are just trying to line their pockets now. Don't do it.......
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 11:01 am
Senior Member (ret.)

There's an 03 that just got listed for $9,950!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 2:23 pm

when test riding, check if the throttle feels stiff. in 02... there was a warranty fix that took a very stiff and uncomfortable throttle cable off and replaced it with a much free-er and smooth-er one. mine was a different bike after that mod. The LTE is very nice because all intercomm, CB, radio, CD, AM/FM, cassette... is integrated. If the bile comes with wired in helmets maybe that is why over $13K. $11-$12K is a fair price for a perfect 02 LTE.

Maybe the throttle, the tires, and some tip-over scratches could help U haggle. good luck... let us know how it goes.

Final haggle-thing I'd possibly ask is for them to spring for the 12K service little early... worth a grand right there.
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 7:29 pm

My first LT

I just picked up my first LT this weekend. A 2003 K1200LT with only 4800 miles $10995.00 from a BMW dealership
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 8:02 pm

That sure seems like a lot of money for a 5-6 year old bike.

I bought my '02 last month in Atlanta from a Steelership for 9500. OTD.
There was nothing wrong with it. 38K miles with new tires and they serviced the bike before I left.

Please look harder for a bike.
Don't settle until you have seen a lot of them.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2007, 8:49 pm

no problems

My 02 has about 31,000 original miles with zip problems. There were a few rear end problems and other assorted little things,but only a small % were effected. 10K to 11K with accessories would be a fair price.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in