Heel-toe shifter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Heel-toe shifter

Hello, everyone:

I have posed this question before, but not in this way, so here it is again. I know that the shifter on the LT is not designed to handle the hit from a heel, but knowing that neither is the one on the GW, I have seen this part and would love to adapt it for use on the LT. Short of having a machine shop weld a heel extension on my current shifter, does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this? If placed correctly, and with floorboards, one could achieve a gentle touch to click into gears instead of clacking into them. Any thoughts? BTW, looking through the accessories page, I came across a "Shift Linkage" entry, but I'm not sure if I understand what it's intending to promote.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 1:36 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The shift linkage referred to is a heavy-duty set of links and ball joints that replace the weaker stock setup. Several people have had the stock shift linkage break at the ball joints, making it impossible to shift. Others have simply cleaned, torqued, and greased the stock setup, and haven't had any problems.

I don't know of anyone making a heel-toe shifter for the LT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:44 am

Quote:
Others have simply cleaned, torqued, and greased the stock setup, and haven't had any problems.
And "others" simply cleaned, torqued, and greased the stock setup, and STILL have had the crappy stock linkage break on them. I just carry spares now, that's all.

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
... does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this? ...
I have designed one some time ago, but in the middle of the prototype-making process I lost interest. Also, there just didn't seem to be enough interest in the LT community to support the project financially. Perhaps I should revisit this issue.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:36 am Thread Starter

Garage
I recently rode the Suzuki Boulevard C50 belonging to my heavy friend (referred to in a post called "Heavy weight) and her's has the heel portion of the shifter just aft of the floorboard, making the upshifts a delight. One light tap with the heel and you're in business. With our set-up on the LT, a similar action would be possible, if positioned correctly, thereby reducing the risk of damaging the linkage with heavy-heeled upshifts. Might be something to consider for those who have floorboards, or wish they had them.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
I recently rode the Suzuki Boulevard C50 belonging to my heavy friend (referred to in a post called "Heavy weight) and her's has the heel portion of the shifter just aft of the floorboard, making the upshifts a delight. One light tap with the heel and you're in business. With our set-up on the LT, a similar action would be possible, if positioned correctly, thereby reducing the risk of damaging the linkage with heavy-heeled upshifts. Might be something to consider for those who have floorboards, or wish they had them.
I agree it would be great to have a heel shifter (like on my goldwing). My new boots are larger (thicker) then my old boots and getting my toe between the peg and the shifter is difficult.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #7 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:51 am

If you ever get it done . . . let use know. Had it on the uhhhh, HD and really like it!
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And "others" simply cleaned, torqued, and greased the stock setup, and STILL have had the crappy stock linkage break on them. I just carry spares now, that's all.
Yeah, but you're special Joe. You've managed to break an iPod and an ice>Link as well.

When are you gonna donate a bit more so you can get to Gold or Platinum and once again become our Village Idiot?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:24 pm

Iliumworks makes custom parts such as brake pedal and shifter extension for the LT and other beemers.
You may want to call them an see if they have somethin in the works as far as a toe-heel shifter.
Their products seem to be of quality and the finish will match that of your bike.

Gilles
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
When are you gonna donate a bit more so you can get to Gold or Platinum and once again become our Village Idiot?
I donated before knowing what the pricing levels were. Also, I usually don't donate based on what that donation will BUY me. The fact that now the subtitles are self-appointed kinda takes away from the whole thing, IMO.

I just have to believe "Voice of Reason" loosely translates to "Thee Village Idiot" anyway... Surely, we don't need two of them!
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:54 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I donated before knowing what the pricing levels were. Also, I usually don't donate based on what that donation will BUY me. The fact that now the subtitles are self-appointed kinda takes away from the whole thing, IMO.
Agreed. I donated prior to the changeover as well, and will probably do so again in the near future. I don't think I can add up all the labor charges alone that I've saved through this site. Of course, that gets offset by the total farkle bill, but that's just how it works. Both things have added considerably to my overall enjoyment of the LT, so it's all good.

Quote:
I just have to believe "Voice of Reason" loosely translates to "Thee Village Idiot" anyway... Surely, we don't need two of them!
I suppose that all depends on your point of view, doesn't it?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in