I fixed it! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:07 am Thread Starter

I fixed it!

I think.
I have just over 2600 miles since I tried an old trick for keeping brakes quiet. There is absolutely no squeal from the rear brakes yet. I used the "shims" that we used to use on the european cars back in the 80's when the owners would complain about the brake squeal. I had tried chamfering the OEM pads and seating them in to no avail. The EBC pads were only quiet for about 400 miles. I always cleaned and put a light coat of brake lube on all metal contact points. The S.O. had mentioned that it sounds like an old junker truck when it squeals and she didn't like it. Here are the details of my fix. There used to be many places to buy the brake shims. Since it is old school, I only found them in the "Help" section of a local auto parts store. These are distributed by the Dorman company. The part number is 13099 on the front and dorman 705-700. There are 4 shims in the package for about $4.00. The shims are made out of a very thin layer of metal (steel) with an adhesive backing. I removed the pads from the caliper and cleaned everything with brake cleaner and a rag. I then traced the brake pad outline onto the shim with a pencil and just cut them out with a pair of scissors. Peel the backing off of the shim and stick one to each of the backing plates of the pads. Reinstalled the pads with a very thin coating of brake grease between the caliper and the shim and drove it like normal. I have been on all road conditions including gravel and mud. I have ridden in the rain where I could hardley see. 2600 miles and no squeal. That is more than triple the total miles that this thing has been quiet since it was new. I just hope I didn't jinx myself by putting this in here. I guess I need to go for a ride to make sure.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 2:21 pm

Re: I fixed it!

Hi, Barney - really glad you posted this. Thanks.

I prolly knew about this fix - just forgot it. And I think there are previous threads in the archives about doing something similar - using cardboard shims, such as cut from a cereal box or sumpthin'.

I'm gonna use your fix and give it a try.

Ole Toad's brakes have NEVER squealed a peep since day one. Then, last year in August, we went up on the lift in the garage in preparation of doing all services - front to back. Well, thangs got in the way and it took six or seven months to finally get everythang completed. Last item wuz to warm thangs up and do fluid changes. Well, the final drive drain hole spit out a piece of bearing retainer, so into the shop for repairs.

Got her all back home, tupperware donned, and went for a ride. YEEEOOWWW!!! Ain't NEVER heard squealin' like that!! Folks two blocks away were searchin' for the source!!

And it wouldn't quit. Somebody said to git some Perma-Lube Never Seize and apply to the backs of the brake pads. Bought the stuff, butt haven't applied it yet. Have gotten used to using the rear brake until the last few feet of a stop - still squeaks, butt doesn't last as long!! This really isn't a good thang, cuz a panic or emergency stop should use all three calipers!

So, now with your post and the stuff I've got on the work bench, I'm gonna tackle that annoyance. Think I'll try the 'Never Seize' first and if that works, that'll be it. If not, then I'll do the shim. Bought new pads all around, butt current installed ones still have plenty of pad left - we'll see if we may have to change pads too!!

BTW - Hank down at Rhinewest in San Antonio told me that what prolly happened is - ole Toad sat in a garage that went thru a change of season and the garage may have had high humidity levels at various times, and the brake pistons get a leetle coating of rust on 'em and that makes 'em strike up the band and sing at certain harmonics when they're pressed against the back of the pads during braking. I'm sure he's right, cuz I had some cheap tools that received a light rusting last winter.

Anyway, thanks again for the post. I'm a leetle slow on these thangs, and needed your post to nudge me along.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 9:02 pm

Did you use the shims on both the back and front pads? My 2002 K1200LT's brakes are squealing like everyone else's and it sure would be nice to hear silence. Thanks, Ernie

Ernie Davis
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2002 Silver K1200LTC
BMWMOA #142136

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 9:07 pm

Lightbulb Re: I fixed it!

A quick Google search found this web site. Scroll down to about mid way on the page for the shims,

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...?Category=3106

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:13 pm

Someone here posted a fix using shims they cut from a coke can...necessity is the mother of invention.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesto18z
Did you use the shims on both the back and front pads?
I only needed them on the rear pads. The fronts are quiet. One shim on the inside pad and one on the outside pad

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:09 am

Barney,

Thanks for the information/post. Definitely going to give it a try as my pads are in great shape, but still squealing. Thanks also to George for the quick Google Search/Link to Checker Auto Parts; stopping by there today or tomorrow to get the shims. I'll follow up with a post once I get them installed based upon my results. Thanks, Ernie

Ernie Davis
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2002 Silver K1200LTC
BMWMOA #142136

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in