Went to the dealer today ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Went to the dealer today ...

I stopped by my dealer today to have my LT reviewed as a consignment sale. It will go up to the dealer for the final time on Friday when I bring them the motorcycle again and all my accessorties for it. Then I'll sign the paperwork and wait for it to be sold to a new owner.

It was my daughter's last ride on it. She's really bummed. And of course I can't say I am too happy about it either, but I do need to sell it. The good news still is I will be able to buy another one. Probbaly late '09 or early '10. By then maybe the news about the newer LT model will prove accurate and I can decide new LT or old one.

Same goes for bluetooth intercoms & helmets. I'm going to be selling my existing helmets & intercoms with the motorcycle, so maybe by the time I buy a new one I'll be able to cut the cord.

I will admit that I thought quite seriously about selling my '96 RT and buying a used LT in the 6~7K range, but I'm just not comfortable lane splitting the LT in heavy traffic as I am my RT. I've done it, but it is much more stressful. And when the traffic narrows up, just not doable until/unless the traffic widens the gap to let you through (some people will do it, others will not).

So, it looks like I will be waiting to buy another LT some time next year. Although, I also have to admit I may just wind up with a R1200RT. This weekend when I took my wife out for a ride, she had some hip pain getting on and getting off the motorcycle. Some during the ride too. Seems the rear seat may be too wide for her. I think that problem may be overcome with a custom seat and feel the LT will be a much better long distance tourer than the RT, but when it comes time to buy again we plan to do a day trip on each and theen decide which one to purchase.

Even with all the complaints I've seen about BMW NA & various BMW dealers, I've had nothing but outstanding customer satisfaction from San Diego BMW and plan to buy form them once again when it is time.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:25 am

Re: Went to the dealer today ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I stopped by my dealer today to have my LT reviewed as a consignment sale. It will go up to the dealer for the final time on Friday when I bring them the motorcycle again and all my accessorties for it. Then I'll sign the paperwork and wait for it to be sold to a new owner.

It was my daughter's last ride on it. She's really bummed. And of course I can't say I am too happy about it either, but I do need to sell it. The good news still is I will be able to buy another one. Probbaly late '09 or early '10. By then maybe the news about the newer LT model will prove accurate and I can decide new LT or old one.

Same goes for bluetooth intercoms & helmets. I'm going to be selling my existing helmets & intercoms with the motorcycle, so maybe by the time I buy a new one I'll be able to cut the cord.

I will admit that I thought quite seriously about selling my '96 RT and buying a used LT in the 6~7K range, but I'm just not comfortable lane splitting the LT in heavy traffic as I am my RT. I've done it, but it is much more stressful. And when the traffic narrows up, just not doable until/unless the traffic widens the gap to let you through (some people will do it, others will not).

So, it looks like I will be waiting to buy another LT some time next year. Although, I also have to admit I may just wind up with a R1200RT. This weekend when I took my wife out for a ride, she had some hip pain getting on and getting off the motorcycle. Some during the ride too. Seems the rear seat may be too wide for her. I think that problem may be overcome with a custom seat and feel the LT will be a much better long distance tourer than the RT, but when it comes time to buy again we plan to do a day trip on each and theen decide which one to purchase.

Even with all the complaints I've seen about BMW NA & various BMW dealers, I've had nothing but outstanding customer satisfaction from San Diego BMW and plan to buy form them once again when it is time.
It's just a bummer that you have to sell her...I know it is the right discission but none the less, a bummer .

Good luck with your health issue and hopefully everything will get back to normal ASAP.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I've got the LT and all the accessories ready to go tomorrow. I'm going to miss the LT. Since I went that far, I decided to sell my car ('05 Ford Escape Hybrid) as well. I don't use it very much now (only in bad weather - not much out in S. CA) and no longer have a medical need for it. Doing so will accelerate the process of resolving the financial issues and also accelerate the process toward getting another LT or R1200RT w/ESA.

I'm glad I at least have the '96 RT to fall back on for transportation - OK it's really just fun to ride.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 3:01 am Thread Starter

Well it's at the dealer now and on the web ...

http://www.sdbmwmc.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=4768

so I guess it is offical. I'm wihtout an LT in the garage. <sigh> I'm selling the LT with every accessory I have, but if it doesn't sell that way, or the new owner prefers to purchase the motorcycle without all the accessories, then I'll be posting items here first and eBay second.

I had my wife with me today and put her back on the newer model RTs. It did seem comfortable to her and not as wide (seat) as the LT so her hip joint did not bother her. So, I suspect a newer model RT will be in my near future (looking for end of the year or early [spring] next year). I still think the LT is the best long distance tourer out there, so what I think I will do is flip my current methodology. Instead of a new LT and an older model RT I'll buy a newer model RT and an older model LT. Maybe.

It's still going to be a question of whether or not my wife and I will do any significant touriing or not. I personally would like to see a lot of the countryside, but want to do it with the wife and I'm just not sure how that's going to work out. I think we are going to need to start out with closer hops then move upt o longer distance and see how it works out for her.

I wish I could find a way to eliminate the feeling (for her) that being perched up higher than the driver causes her on turns. She describes it as an inner ear issue. Makes her feel like she's likely to fall off the motorcycle. Even though logically she knows that's not going to happen. I suggested she get checked out by a doctor for posisble inner ear problems and go from there. If it is not a physical probnlem though, that leaves psychological. The feeling is much harder to solve (where the shorter tours on the RT may help acclimatize her).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in