%%$(#* Gas Pumps! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:23 am Thread Starter

%%$(#* Gas Pumps!

I had the joy this morning of my first spill while gassing the bike. It seems that the back pressure did not shut off the pump and I had a guyser of gas for a second until I shut it off manually.

Now I begin to wonder about the canisterectomy as I read somewhere this the overfill is what brings on the collapsing gas tank. So, is it time to do the procedure?

I did notice that a lot of gas ran out of the rear hose - maybe it was already done? Or is that normal behavior for a stock bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: %%$(#* Gas Pumps!

The canister is connected to the tank, whereas the overspill cuff, around the fill hole, has a tube running down to about where the center stand is. That's probably where the leakage you noticed had come from.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:44 am

I too wonder if mine is there or not. Does anyone have a photo of where this can is, or was?

Frank

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I too wonder if mine is there or not. Does anyone have a photo of where this can is, or was?

Frank
It's fastened under the pillion and looks like a smaller version of a pop can that has 2 hoses attached to it. There's a picture of it in the BMW LT manual.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:57 pm

its under the rear trunk,,2 hoses running in 1 out
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
its under the rear trunk,,2 hoses running in 1 out
Yep, that is correct. You can detect if the canister is there or if the tubes have been rerouted to bypass the canister by just removing the pillion seat.
I did the reroute procedure with just the seat removed. When I decide on what to do with the resultant space, I will remove the canister. It's far easier to remove the seat than the trunk, IMHO.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #7 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 3:05 pm

Five minutes to pop the rear seat, and no need to even cut the hoses. I was way too over zealous in my desire to disconnect the cannister tubing.....it would have been a much cleaner job, and is easy to reverse if for some reason you would want to, leaving what is there.

There are existing splices in the hoses. Plug the left side looking rear to front, and put the other hose as far down along side the rear of the battery, without having it hit the tire.

I did rip off the hot wire for the heated rear seat, not knowing that was routed in back, so may want to be aware of that.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 3:57 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
I had the joy this morning of my first spill while gassing the bike. It seems that the back pressure did not shut off the pump and I had a guyser of gas for a second until I shut it off manually.

Now I begin to wonder about the canisterectomy as I read somewhere this the overfill is what brings on the collapsing gas tank. So, is it time to do the procedure?

I did notice that a lot of gas ran out of the rear hose - maybe it was already done? Or is that normal behavior for a stock bike?
Happened to me a few months ago boy what a mess. I had no problem with the canister. I was worried that it would start a fire as it ran down the side of my bike. I am even more careful now when I fillerup

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc

Wow, that's too bad.......
In my 30+ years of riding I have NEVER allowed a gas pump to run any way other than manually with my eyes looking down into the fill neck while gassing up a motorcycle. Just my method of filling up.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 7:47 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
In my 30+ years of riding I have NEVER allowed a gas pump to run any way other than manually with my eyes looking down into the fill neck while gassing up a motorcycle. Just my method of filling up.
I second that method of filling...I also don't fill while sitting on the bike...I have heard that gas will not ignite from the hot exhaust & I don't plan on experimenting to find out..I'll leave that to Myth Busters...Even when filling my car, I have it on the slowest setting, just in case...At work we have 3 pumps & all of them have that metal tab removed.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
At work we have 3 pumps & all of them have that metal tab removed.
I just hate that, taking a perfectly good nozzle and removing the metal tabs. I guess that is why they make the gas caps a certain size so that you can jam it in the handle! The only thing with that is that you can only get the pump to run half the speed, unless you are really good at jamming the cap in the handle (LOL).

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #12 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:13 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt

Too clarify I also always fill my vehicles manually. The time the spill happened the pump handle would not shut off, it stuck with out the auto shut off. I went inside to let them know and was told "oh ya we know about it" that was the last time I used that particular station.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:50 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I just hate that, taking a perfectly good nozzle and removing the metal tabs. I guess that is why they make the gas caps a certain size so that you can jam it in the handle! The only thing with that is that you can only get the pump to run half the speed, unless you are really good at jamming the cap in the handle (LOL).
I work at a school bus company with 90+ drivers & some of them not the brightest when it comes to mechanical things...with the tab thingy removed they hold the handle on at full blast & let go when diesel fuel puchs back at them making a mess on the bus & ground...since everyone is assigned a bus, you can tell who does it...I have mentioned to them it seems to be counter productive with the thingy tab removed, but they say with their method someone is standing by the pump in case of an emergency...Management knows best.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:12 pm

Quote:
I work at a school bus company with 90+ drivers & some of them not the brightest when it comes to mechanical things...with the tab thingy removed they hold the handle on at full blast & let go when diesel fuel puchs back at them making a mess on the bus & ground...since everyone is assigned a bus, you can tell who does it...I have mentioned to them it seems to be counter productive with the thingy tab removed, but they say with their method someone is standing by the pump in case of an emergency...Management knows best.
Makes you wonder how much the school district will have to pay for reclamation should they ever sell the property. And I'm not sure if the drivers actions of letting the fuel puke would be not be considered a "knowing violation." Hmmm.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
Makes you wonder how much the school district will have to pay for reclamation should they ever sell the property. And I'm not sure if the drivers actions of letting the fuel puke would be not be considered a "knowing violation." Hmmm.
They are aware of it...just have to look at the ground by the pumps...One of the pumps has a concrete slab & it might be OK...But the other 2 are asphalt & the diesel soaks thru...

Reminds me of a recent problem a gas station owner had...20 years or so ago he closed his station...had the tanks removed...EPA gave him an all clear...then he rented the property out to other businesses...then wanted to sell...had a buyer ready to sign, but first the buyer wanted a ground sample test done...sure enough gas was found in the sample...he took his all clear papers to the EPA & they basically said they don't stand behind their test results & he would have to do it all over again...so there goes his retirement money.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
They need to get their auto shutoff fixed so that the drivers couldn't do this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in