Coolant overfilling the reservoir tank - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Coolant overfilling the reservoir tank

After today's normal riding, I noticed the coolant had overfilled the reservoir tank and dripped out. What's up with that?

My 2000 K1200LT has 128,000 miles. I haven't done anything to it recently except change the front tire.

The only work I've done on the cooling system was to change the coolant a few months ago. Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVipond
After today's normal riding, I noticed the coolant had overfilled the reservoir tank and dripped out. What's up with that?

My 2000 K1200LT has 128,000 miles. I haven't done anything to it recently except change the front tire.

The only work I've done on the cooling system was to change the coolant a few months ago. Any ideas???
Hi, Tim - not much help here, I'm afraid, butt... I recall this situation a couple times when we were back on the old website. IIRC, one involved a change in altitude during a ride (which you prolly wouldn't have experienced where you are) and the other turned out to be a probable air bubble which created a sort of vapor lock in the system and prevented full circulation by the water pump. I don't know how to test for that, other than a visit to the dealer maybe. Good luck, and here's hoping it's somethang simple.
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

Quote:

Probably blew the engine up running that AMSOIL snake oil you run. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 6:59 pm

Quote:

Do you know if your bike was running hot? Radiator cap defective allowing fluid to return to reservoir. Its possible.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Heywood - my bike runs better, cooler, shifts better, and gets better gas mileage and uses less oil at 128,000 miles with AMSOIL motorcycle oil at 12,000 mile oil change intervals than at 6,000 miles when I bought it used with BMW motorcycle oil, including several 6,000 mile BMW oil changes later. No transmission or final drive problems either. If you can show another oil is superior to AMSOIL, I'll try it. AMSOIL seems to have the best specifications, warranty, longest oil change intervals and test data.

Murray - I'll try replacing the 6 year old radiator cap as that is a possible simple fix and I think I had a similar problem and fix with my 135,000 mile ST1100 4 or 5 years ago.

Dick - no altitude change today. Also the coolant level in the reservoir tank returned to normal when cooled. My extended warranty expired 2 weeks ago. They can sure time those warranties to expire perfectly, can't they?
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:57 am

Smile

Quote:
Heywood - my bike runs better, cooler, shifts better, and gets better gas mileage and uses less oil at 128,000 miles with AMSOIL motorcycle oil at 12,000 mile oil change intervals than at 6,000 miles when I bought it used with BMW motorcycle oil, including several 6,000 mile BMW oil changes later. No transmission or final drive problems either. If you can show another oil is superior to AMSOIL, I'll try it. AMSOIL seems to have the best specifications, warranty, longest oil change intervals and test data.

Murray - I'll try replacing the 6 year old radiator cap as that is a possible simple fix and I think I had a similar problem and fix with my 135,000 mile ST1100 4 or 5 years ago.

Dick - no altitude change today. Also the coolant level in the reservoir tank returned to normal when cooled. My extended warranty expired 2 weeks ago. They can sure time those warranties to expire perfectly, can't they?
Well ? Did the cap change fix the problem?

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Murray,

Problem hasn't reoccured. My local dealer did not have the radiator cap in stock, and he suggested I speak to service rep. He asked if BMW drained and filled the radiator several months ago or if I did. I did and he thought it probably just had a bubble in it that worked its way out. I'll probably order another radiator cap and just keep it in the bike as a spare for my upcoming Mexico trip. I'll let you know if it reoccurs or if I put the new cap on.
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Murray,

Problem hasn't reoccured. My local dealer did not have the radiator cap in stock, and he suggested I speak to service rep. He asked if BMW drained and filled the radiator several months ago or if I did. I did and he thought it probably just had a bubble in it that worked its way out. I'll probably order another radiator cap and just keep it in the bike as a spare for my upcoming Mexico trip. I'll let you know if it reoccurs or if I put the new cap on.
Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your Mexico trip.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Hey Tim,

What's mimum milage suggested on an LT before switching from dino to syn lube? I know one wants to get some 'natural' wear to seat things well. Or is the K motor not liable for this?

And, what grade (part no?) of Amsoil do you run in the various wet places on an LT. Motor, tranny and rear at least (what'd I miss?)

Yea - think of switching over to syn, got a guy here in town that sells Amsoil - looking for particulars.

TIA!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 8:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Hey Tim,

What's mimum milage suggested on an LT before switching from dino to syn lube? I know one wants to get some 'natural' wear to seat things well. Or is the K motor not liable for this?

And, what grade (part no?) of Amsoil do you run in the various wet places on an LT. Motor, tranny and rear at least (what'd I miss?)

Yea - think of switching over to syn, got a guy here in town that sells Amsoil - looking for particulars.

TIA!
Hi Zotter,

AMSOIL says this on their website.

"Q. I heard that new cars require a break in period with petroleum before you switch them to synthetic. How long should this break in period be?

A. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil can be used during break-in trouble free. In fact, vehicles such as Dodge Viper and Chevrolet Corvette come factory filled with synthetic oil.

Since most new vehicles come filled with petroleum oil, it only makes good sense to change to AMSOIL at the first scheduled oil change interval. New engine components generate high levels of wear metals and can contain contaminants from assembly. By allowing the engine to operate with the petroleum oil until the first oil/filter change interval, the wear metals and contaminants are removed prior to installing AMSOIL."

Someone had posted that the BMW motorcycle accessories catalog stated thay BMW synthetic could be used at the 6,000 mile oil change.

AMSOIL recommends MCV motorcycle 20W50 for the engine, SVG Severe Gear 75W90 for the transmission and final drive. When used with their SMF122 motorcycle oil filter, they warranty against oil related lubrication problems when the engine oil and filter is changed up to 12,000 mile or 1 year intervals (whichever comes first). The gear lube is warrantied for double the BMW change interval (24,000 miles). This is what I have done for the past 70,000 miles on my 129,000 mile K1200LT.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TimVipond; Jan 9th, 2006 at 1:23 pm.
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 1:52 pm

It does! thanks!

Thanks for helping the 'lazy' guy out - thought I'd looked for some of that, missed parts. But you filled in the rest. THANKS!! :Up:

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 6:22 pm

Check your radiators

Tim,
I had that problem last summer. When climbing or riding the bike hard in hot weather, it would over-heat. The culprit turned out to be clogged radiators, (bugs & dirt), and some bent fins in the radiators. I replaced the radiators and all was well again.

George
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

George,

Thanks for the input. But my bike never overheats, so probably a different problem and solution. In fact with the AMSOIL synthetic motor oil and coolant it runs about a needles width cooler than with the BMW motor oil and coolant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in