Utah Roads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:40 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Utah Roads

Unfortunately, because of time we will have to take Interstates to CCR. Coming home we will have a few extra days. My tentative plan is to pick up US 189S to US 89S to Rt. 24 to Torrey. From Torrey we will take Route 12S, do Bryce Canyon, and then pick 89S to the Grand Canyon. Im hoping this route will enable me to spend a little more in the higher elevations (cooler), and have good riding roads & scenery? I would be interested in the valued opinion of anyone who has taken these routes. Also, Im interested in any must see places and restaurant stops. Let me know if there is a better alternative that enable us to go to Bryce and Grand Canyons.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Re: Utah Roads

The wife and I spent several weeks in Utah in June and July and rode most of the roads you mentioned and they are all good ones. Rt. 12 is pretty spectacular in places and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I don't know how much time you'll have but you will also pass right by Zion National Park and it is one of the really nice ones, the road in is really something. We camped in Kanab for nearly two weeks and explored all the roads around there and went to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on 89A a couple of times, a very nice ride. Going out to Cape Royal was especially nice. Kanab, by the way, is a neat little town where many western movies and tv shows were filmed. They have a lot of things to see and do that revolve around this history.

We also spent a week at Bryce Canyon after attending the Red Rock Rendevous rally in Panguitch. The only truly memorable resturant we visited was in Antimony which is north of Bryce on Rt 22 which is right across from the entrance to the park. It is just a small earthy general store with a resturant in the back but they serve some really good burgers. We also enjoyed our rides up to Cedar Breaks.

There are so many great places to see and roads to ride that it is difficult to recommend a short list. Whatever you do I'm sure you will enjoy this part of Utah.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 1:03 am

You will love the 12 out of Torrey. When you get to Boulder do the Burr Trail it is like a little Grand Canyon that you can ride through. Watch out for the free range cattle from Torrey to just past Boulder. Another great ride is up around Fish Lake, after you pass the 62 when on the 24 take the 25 around the lake to the 72 then back down to the 24 at Lola then another 15 miles and your in Torrey. Here is a pic of the road to Fish Lake. Have fun.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Last edited by dmatson; Aug 21st, 2008 at 1:29 am.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke
... I don't know how much time you'll have but you will also pass right by Zion National Park and it is one of the really nice ones, the road in is really something. ...
I thought Bryce Canyon was nice, but Zion National Park is spectacular. If I could only visit one, it would be Zion. Riding in Utah is great. A sign in Kanab says it all: "The Greatest Earth On Show"

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

Not all those who wander are lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 9:44 am

Capitol Reef is pretty cool also. Went in the end of May and suffered snow,sleet and 25 deg temps. Careful about lodging around the north rim. You have the lodge at the North rim but we stayed at the Kaibab lodge which was pretty cool 20 miles outside of the North Rim.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 5:54 pm

I came down 89 last week and between 12 and 14 they had the road scraped for about 20 miles. I am glad I was in the cage because it was the kind of road that leaves the vertical gouges in the roadway and causes the front wheel to jump from track to track. I'm taking the interstate to CCR to avoid the area.

AKA "Speedbump"

Past:
2000 RT
2003 LT
2007 GSA
2013 GS
Another 2007 GSA
2007 RTP
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 6:04 pm
Super Moderator

I think you've picked a good route. A few of my favorite roads in there.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 9 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:01 am

Can't argue with Route 12. The Hogback coming north out of Escalante is primo!

Yes, range cattle are free roamin'. The adults will generally stand and watch you pass. The youngster are capable of doing anything. Also note that they may be using the same signage for cattle AND cattle guards. Fortunately, the cattle guards are normally placed straight across the road, but you want to make sure you cross one in a perpendicular manner.

Entering Zion is an absolute dream. Lots of great views as you twist and wind your way down into the canyon. Just watch out for the tour buses and land yachts as they try to negotiate the hairpins.

It may be out of the way, but Route 128 north of Moab runs you along the Colorado River. Even if you just do it as an out and back, it's a great ride.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #9 of 9 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorchilla
Unfortunately, because of time we will have to take Interstates to CCR. Coming home we will have a few extra days. My tentative plan is to pick up US 189S to US 89S to Rt. 24 to Torrey. From Torrey we will take Route 12S, do Bryce Canyon, and then pick 89S to the Grand Canyon. Im hoping this route will enable me to spend a little more in the higher elevations (cooler), and have good riding roads & scenery? I would be interested in the valued opinion of anyone who has taken these routes. Also, Im interested in any must see places and restaurant stops. Let me know if there is a better alternative that enable us to go to Bryce and Grand Canyons.

Check out the current issue of Rider for a great looking four corners ride!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in