ABS Failure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Angry ABS Failure

Anyone besides me encountering failure of the BMW ABS control on a 1999 - 2001 LT?

Beemerdude 2001

American Legion Riders NE IA
Patriot Guard Riders
AMA Charter Life Member
AMA Ambassador
BMWMOA # 10524
Member: Jackpine Gypsies, Sturgis

09 GL1800A
76 Triumph T160E
77 R 100 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Re: ABS Failure

before you give up completely on the abs, do a complete flush of the system and have the dealer reset the codes, and then see if the problem is still there... Many dealers are very quick to say your abs unit is toast and for a $$$$$$ we will gladly replace the unit. Check your battery as well, if it is more than 2 yrs old, it probably needs to be replaced, a lot of things start to go weird if the battery does not have a full charge

Last edited by sheldan2; Aug 20th, 2008 at 7:11 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 6:08 pm

There is a way to get the codes and clear the computer after you've fixed the issue.

I'd sure start with a good flushing and set the sensor gaps.. That'd be a good start...

Just search for ABS reset...

Or maybe look at the bottom of the page here at the similar threads.

OK, I did the hard part and looked it up for you.. Click

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 6:30 pm

My 2000 did the exact same thing right after I bought it. It only had 8500 miles on it, but my guess is the brakes had never been flushed (happened in 2006 about 6 months after I bought it) I took it to the dealer, and he reset it, and within about 1000 miles, the abs failure light would come on. Did it a second time, with the same results. After that, the dealer told me the system was shot, and it would be 1500 or just for he parts. I decided I would just ride it, cause I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a 2000 that wasn't worth a whole lot of money anyway. As I started reading on here that often times a brake flush, and sometimes a new battery would cure the problem. SO, I bought a new battery, and had the brakes flushed, and then took it to the dealer to reset the codes. Again, he told me the system needed replacing. That was 25000 miles ago, and the ABS work just fine. I do need to flush the brakes again, and will do it sometime soon. So before you do any drastic, get a new battery and flush the brakes.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:32 pm

The ABS on my 2000 LT failed. Went through all the above mentioned and it really was dead. The bike was out of warranty. The dealer went to bat for me and got BMW to supply a new ABS unit if I would pay the labor. I would take that deal any day and got a new unit installed. Needless to say when it was time to trade the LT, South Sound BMW got my business and still does.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
The ABS on my 2000 LT failed. Went through all the above mentioned and it really was dead. The bike was out of warranty. The dealer went to bat for me and got BMW to supply a new ABS unit if I would pay the labor. I would take that deal any day and got a new unit installed. Needless to say when it was time to trade the LT, South Sound BMW got my business and still does.
That's where I bought my 2001 LT. Can't tell you how happy I am to hear that! They are good folks.

Dave
2001 K1200LTC, "Mollie"
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:16 am

I have had similar problems with my ABS. Two years ago I experienced a fault I took it to my local dealer and they replaced the battery as it was bad and then opened and cleaned a relay under the gas tank. No problems until this last March. ABS unit stuck on. I tapped the ABS unit and unstuck. Took it to the dealer and they reset the unit. Then about a month ago unit stuck on again. After reviewing the manual, I felt that that I needed to replace the relay located in front of the ABS unit. The unit is about $100.00. I also felt that the BMW (exide) battery was going bad even though 90% of the non riding time I kept a 750 ma battery tender on it for a charge. After replacing the relay I made arrangements to take the bike in to the dealer for a rest. I also took in my work order from two years ago to alert the service manager that the order indicated that they removed and cleaned the relay. However, when I removed the relay I found the original factory relay with the paint markings over the nuts. I explained this to the manager and he reset the ABS unit for free. The manager did indicate that there is another ABS relay under the gas tank toward the front of the bike. I have not checked the manual but I did not remember seeing anything about an ABS relay in that area. During the re-assembly I did flush out the front brake system. My assessment for my bike; the main cause of the ABS pump sticking is a weak battery. I replaced the BMW battery, now $170.00 with an Odessy 680 MJ at $170.00. Now the shop manager told me that the LT does not like the Odessy batteries and does some wierd things. I told him that I did not like Exide batteries. He told me that the BMW Exide battery has a built in fuse. Maybe it does, I don't know. I hope this helps with your diagnosis. I would try everything first before replacing the ABS unit. And if you have to replace the unit, you might look for one at a recycler.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in