Old Dog - New Tricks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Talking Old Dog - New Tricks

Well, the old dog can learn a new trick. I just finished my 36,000 0n the 05 LT. No leaks and only 1 tupperware screw left over. Just wanted to say thanks to all who contribute to this site. It gave me the confidence and the info to pull it off. I do have a couple of questions.

1. All valves were within spec, but on the tight side. Is this normal for 36,000 miles?

2. I replaced the rear brake pads with BMW's, but have since discovered EBC pads. Can I use the EBC's on the front with the BMW pads on the rear?

THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Re: Old Dog - New Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcockrum
questions.

1. All valves were within spec, but on the tight side. Is this normal for 36,000 miles?

2. I replaced the rear brake pads with BMW's, but have since discovered EBC pads. Can I use the EBC's on the front with the BMW pads on the rear?

THANKS!!!!
1. Yes it is possible
2. Absolutely. Although many have found that having EBC pads/ rear can decrease or eliminate the cow-bell effect.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcockrum
Well, the old dog can learn a new trick. I just finished my 36,000 0n the 05 LT. No leaks and only 1 tupperware screw left over. Just wanted to say thanks to all who contribute to this site. It gave me the confidence and the info to pull it off. I do have a couple of questions.

THANKS!!!!
Dang, went to your profile in hopes of finding a name - no joy. So - anyway; valve checks on the tight side may just stay that way for many miles. If there were no previous checks to establish a base line, then now you have one. Ole '99 Toad has had several valves at near tight, for sumpthin' like 90K miles, and several checks over the years. I'm thinkin' one of these days, I should swap out some buckets and get back on the loose end of the specs.

Regarding the brake pads. It's been said that the OEM front pads provided by BMW are just fine. It's the rear set that benefits from a change to either EBC, or Carbone Lorraine, or even STS. Someone mentioned that the C.L.s throw a lot of brake dust - I agree. A lot more. Butt, they stop ya.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:01 pm

I have the stock pads on the front.

My rear brake started to sound like metal on metal. I order the EBC pads, yanked the rear pads, and discovered they were no where near bare metal!

I installed the EBCs, not a squeak since then.

00LT
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Old Dog - New Tricks

Thanks for the replies. Now that I've mastered the maintenance thing on the LT , I feel like I can join the big boys. I plan to update my profile and become a paying member soon.

I watched a 12,000 at CCR last year. Read everything I could find on this web site and bought the Paul Sayegh DVD's. Can't believe how intimidated I was by all that tupperware.

Thanks again!!!!
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:51 pm

I have an '05 LT I bought used 2 months ago. The bike has 5,400 mile on it and I put the last 1,500 on last month. It stops OK but the rear brake sqeals like a milk truck. Any thoughts?
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

From what I have come to understand from personal experience and info learned from this site, it's the nature of the beast.
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 7:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshadow
I have an '05 LT I bought used 2 months ago. The bike has 5,400 mile on it and I put the last 1,500 on last month. It stops OK but the rear brake sqeals like a milk truck. Any thoughts?
Is the rotor held on with 10 bolts or 5? If 10, ask your dealer for the 5 bolt version that is mentioned in a TSB that is listed somewhere on the forum (a search will probably find it). I had my 2007 rotor swapped out at the 6K service (at not cost to me!) and the squeal is gone and this is still with the OEM rear pads.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in