Buy 2009? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Question Buy 2009?

I'm a return member of this board, having had a '02 LT. Thinking about trading in my '06 GT for an LT to get some comfort again for myself and the wife. Question is go for the '09 or wait for the rumored 6 cyl. '10. Weighing immediate gratification and comfort, as well as better trade in value on the GT and having the "newest thing" with more power (yes, the GT's thrust is intoxicating) versus new model bugs to work out, greater cost I'm sure, decreased gas mileage for 6 cyl. (The LT's mileage is sl. better than the GT's!) Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom out there?
Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Re: Buy 2009?

Given the late state of our riding season, I'd wait - either you'll get a killer deal on the '09, or be first on the block with a '10. Might want to put a few bucks towards that end at you dealer...
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Hi Mick,

I too was on the same boat you are now regarding the 09 and the 10. I did purchase the 09 after reading "a lot" about it and to be honest I chose to do it as I didn't want to be the test bed for BMW with their "new" model. I figured I'd wait 2 maybe 3 years for them to work out whatever bugs they may have. I couldn't be happier with my 09 especially after cruising 3K miles on a GW in Europe for almost 3 weeks. I don't know where you live but if you're anywhere in the South I say go for it and save yourself some headaches as I think the later models have most if not all issues worked out.

Good Luck,

Johnny

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Buy 2009?

Thanks, Johnny. Though I have a high regard for BMW engineering (3 motorcycles and 5 autos bought in past 15 years) it would still be a new design and inevitably have bugs. I live about 150 miles from the dealer and getting something fixed is not just a pop across town. The time factor is more problematic than the distance. I appreciate your input and relating your experience. I think I'll keep an open mind to a trade if the price is right and more importantly if the bike FEELS right to me and my honey. Otherwise, I'll continue to enjoy "Gretchen"s incredible power!
Mack
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:34 pm

I would go for 09. It would take 2-3 years to take bugs out from the new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12m5
I'm a return member of this board, having had a '02 LT. Thinking about trading in my '06 GT for an LT to get some comfort again for myself and the wife. Question is go for the '09 or wait for the rumored 6 cyl. '10. Weighing immediate gratification and comfort, as well as better trade in value on the GT and having the "newest thing" with more power (yes, the GT's thrust is intoxicating) versus new model bugs to work out, greater cost I'm sure, decreased gas mileage for 6 cyl. (The LT's mileage is sl. better than the GT's!) Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom out there?
Mack

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 3:06 pm

First I will say I have no association with this dealer other than as a customer. But I will vouch for the bike as i purchased it new. Just not the right bike at the right time for me. I got the RT and am very happy.

I do not really know if this is a good price or if they will negotiate on it, but I will say it is as new. All stock no nav, no comm. Great bike, just thought I would throw this out. Oh never dropped and has lots of Zymol rubbed all over it...LOL

http://www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/...ducts_id=50310

Cheers
Davis
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Recently traded my '06 GT in for the last new '08 LT in Central NM. Loved the GT - most fun and one of the best handling bikes I ever rode - but my wife wouldn't ride it with me - not comfortable - and she is my best friend. Also I got tired of having the most unreliable bike I've ever owned and did not feel confident it wouldn't die on me after warranty. I have had many problems with it and believe the bad airbox originally on it may have permanently stressed the engine. I will never buy another brand new model from BMW again, being their experiment once was enough. The GT sure is a helluva bike, though... this LT is comfortable and with the Remus exhaust the dealer put on it has enough power for me. I don't like the SoftTouch seats, though, they are not as comfy for long distance as my 2000 LT was. Any comments?
I know I will want the 6 cyl but I would want to wait till 2012 given my experience with the GT (one of the first new ones into the US, early 2006).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in