Any rumors or info on future K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 6:41 am Thread Starter

Any rumors or info on future K1200LT

Its been a while since ive been on the board, but are there any rumors or facts about a newly revised k1200lt in the next year or so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Re: Any rumors or info on future K1200LT

Do a thread search - there are as many rumors/facts as posts here...
post #3 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Lots of rumors, NO facts. BMW always keeps things VERY quiet until they are ready.

If one believes that the most repeated rumor from different sources has a chance of becoming fact, it is fairly likely it will be a 6 cylinder of some type. Not even that is a sure thing though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Just like the major car manufacturers they are downsizing their flag ship model in order to get better fuel economy.

I'm good friends with the Germans and took a new one for a test drive yesterday while they were here at the desert proving grounds - and here's some world exclusive spy photos:

The good news: It now gets 110mpg!

The bad news: If you want to take mom along you'll need to pull her behind on a skateboard with a rope.

The REALLY good news: It now has a CHAIN drive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW R-11 003.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	19076   Click image for larger version

Name:	R11-1 Vergasser #1.JPG.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	19077   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW R-11 019.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	19078   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW R-11 017.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	19079  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 19th, 2008 at 7:11 pm.
post #5 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Garage

No!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Just like the major car manufacturers they are downsizing their flag ship model in order to get better fuel economy.

I'm good friends with the Germans and took a new one for a test drive yesterday while they were here at the desert proving grounds - and here's some world exclusive spy photos:

The good news: It now gets 110mpg!

The bad news: If you want to take mom along you'll need to pull her behind on a skateboard with a rope.

The REALLY good news: It now has a CHAIN drive!
And worst of all, it has a Honda engine!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Hey!

A one lunger like Royal Enfield!

I see the new one no longer has an adjustable windshield?

Did they put the 6 CD changer in the riser box under the seat?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:06 pm

My niece and her family are hosting a foreign exchange student for the coming academic year. He's from Germany and arrived last week in order to become acclimatized to his new family before school begins.

He saw my BMW and happily told me that he father is an engineer for BMW, working on motorcycle design and testing. I asked him what his father said about upcoming model changes for the LT. He stammered a bit and cleared his throat. I reminded him that he wasn't in the fatherland, so no harm could come to his father if he told me some of the secret information about the next LT.

What he told me is that the next LT will be a 2010 model and is currently undergoing testing (with revised body cladding) in the Alps.

The new model will be called the K1200LT Slash 10, denoting its 2010 introduction. It will weigh 100 kilos less than the current model, thanks to the same rigorous weight reduction program that the RT and GS underwent.

The engine displacement remains at 1.2L, but will appear in a new configuration. There were lengthy discussions within the marketing department regarding preserving the history and iconic nature of BMW Motorrad while at the same time moving into the future with the highest technology feasible. As a result, the LT/10 engine will be a boxer design, preserving the past, but will also be a four cylinder design, representing the technology of the future. The engine has been under development by Rotax, as part of a joint venture with BMW and Subaru.

It reportedly produces 158 hp and 128 lbs/ft of torque. It will have the option of either a conventional 6 speed transmission, or a finger-shifted DSG transmission.

An interesting sidenote is that the engine has been designed to work in a boxer or a V-4 configuration just by changing a few angles on the block. BMW believes that this will lead to economies of scale when the V-4 configuration is mated to BMW's upcoming (2012 model year) mega-scooter, the S1200TR.

The electric system will be entirely new, and is called CAN-BUS II. Wireless technology is used and will completely eliminate all wiring on the bike. Every device will have its own electronic "fingerprint", so confusion about connectivity will be avoided. The ECU will include an encryption program so that no two vehicles will have the same electronic signals thereby avoiding confusion if several LT/10s are near each other.

BMW has, at long last, addressed the final drive problem by developing a "hybrid" final drive system. From the outside, the FD will appear identical to the FD units used on teh K1200GT (including the hole where the axel used to be). The internal workings, however are subtsantially re-worked. Inside the FD case will be a belt drive running from the rear of the transmission to a toothed ring inside the rear of the FD unit. There will be no maintainence required except for a new belt every 3,600 miles.

He didn't have any information about accessories, and we were called to dinner, so that's all the information I could get.

Sounds really, really good to me!

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #9 of 27 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds pretty good except a new belt every 3600 miles?? Geez.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
My niece and her family are hosting a foreign exchange student for the coming academic year. He's from Germany and arrived last week in order to become acclimatized to his new family before school begins.

He saw my BMW and happily told me that he father is an engineer for BMW, working on motorcycle design and testing. I asked him what his father said about upcoming model changes for the LT. He stammered a bit and cleared his throat. I reminded him that he wasn't in the fatherland, so no harm could come to his father if he told me some of the secret information about the next LT.

What he told me is that the next LT will be a 2010 model and is currently undergoing testing (with revised body cladding) in the Alps.

The new model will be called the K1200LT Slash 10, denoting its 2010 introduction. It will weigh 100 kilos less than the current model, thanks to the same rigorous weight reduction program that the RT and GS underwent.

The engine displacement remains at 1.2L, but will appear in a new configuration. There were lengthy discussions within the marketing department regarding preserving the history and iconic nature of BMW Motorrad while at the same time moving into the future with the highest technology feasible. As a result, the LT/10 engine will be a boxer design, preserving the past, but will also be a four cylinder design, representing the technology of the future. The engine has been under development by Rotax, as part of a joint venture with BMW and Subaru.

It reportedly produces 158 hp and 128 lbs/ft of torque. It will have the option of either a conventional 6 speed transmission, or a finger-shifted DSG transmission.

An interesting sidenote is that the engine has been designed to work in a boxer or a V-4 configuration just by changing a few angles on the block. BMW believes that this will lead to economies of scale when the V-4 configuration is mated to BMW's upcoming (2012 model year) mega-scooter, the S1200TR.

The electric system will be entirely new, and is called CAN-BUS II. Wireless technology is used and will completely eliminate all wiring on the bike. Every device will have its own electronic "fingerprint", so confusion about connectivity will be avoided. The ECU will include an encryption program so that no two vehicles will have the same electronic signals thereby avoiding confusion if several LT/10s are near each other.

BMW has, at long last, addressed the final drive problem by developing a "hybrid" final drive system. From the outside, the FD will appear identical to the FD units used on teh K1200GT (including the hole where the axel used to be). The internal workings, however are subtsantially re-worked. Inside the FD case will be a belt drive running from the rear of the transmission to a toothed ring inside the rear of the FD unit. There will be no maintainence required except for a new belt every 3,600 miles.

He didn't have any information about accessories, and we were called to dinner, so that's all the information I could get.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 1:19 am

Quote:
He saw my BMW and happily told me that he father is an engineer for BMW
This is where you lost me. No kid pays any attention to what his father does or says.
post #12 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:28 am

Some of kids I work with do not even know where their parents work.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #13 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 7:27 am

If any of this materializes I would hope at least the 4 cyl boxer motor comes through. I'm a big fan of boxer motors and I see no reason whats so ever why a manufacture needs to make a motorcycle motor bigger then 1200 cc. A buddy of mine stopped by yesterday on an old 1000cc 4cyl Goldwing. That motor is a real gem. With today's current engineering and technology BMW would really have a winner on it's hands. I can't believe a belt change every 3600 miles maybe it's really 36,000 or maybe then can get a chain to do the same-thing. I guess time will tell and if they do come out with a boxer 4 I'm in!
post #14 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 8:10 am

I stopped by the local BMW dealer yesterday to buy some parts for the 24K. Service. As I was leaving I stopped and chatted with the sales guy. Mainly about the GS sitting on the showroom floor. BTW, I almost traded the LT in for it. Anywho. We started talking about the LTs and why he did not have any on the showroom floor. HE said the 09 were there just not out yet. He did say that the 10s will be redesigned to compete with the Wings. He also told me the 09s were only available in black. Which for some reason I think I heard here 1st. So not much to report but just wanted to add my 2 cents.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #15 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:42 am

I don't believe much of any of these rumors. No one who really knows is saying---the rest is all speculation.
post #16 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 6:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Ha, ha, ha. You have are very good at creative writing. Foreign exchange student from Germany ... that is a good one!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
And worst of all, it has a Honda engine!!
Actually..... A Honda clone made by the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in the WORLD: Lifan. (Chinese - of course!)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #18 of 27 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Quote:

Jeez Mike - you ACTUALLY had me there for about 30 seconds.....

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 1:48 am

Hey Ron

The new LT comes with recaps!

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #20 of 27 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Hey Ron

The new LT comes with recaps!

Bob
Well then those dang Germans pulled a fast one and didn't give me a new LT to ride after all - since this one came with 8" DOT 62 mph speed rated Michelins!

(The guys at the DMV kept shaking their heads in total disbelief when I told them I wanted a new home made title, registration and tags...)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:14 pm

I spoke to a dealer yesterday and this “All New” LT subject came up. He told me he has heard every rumor out there and he is confident that the LT will be virtually the same for the foreseeable future. He also mentioned that there are prototypes out there in various configurations, but none are slated for production. This may be where the rumors like the 6 cylinder 1600 come from. But my personal opinion is, only time will tell.
post #22 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:48 pm

I had breakfast with my niece's German foreign exchange student today and in the privacy of a small restaurant, he felt more at ease telling me more about the upcoming /10 LT.

We mostly talked about accessories. BMW is coming out with a feature called 'accessory drive' for the new LT. This system includes a much larger alternator with chain drive coming off the crank. Power will be sent to an area under the topcase where it can be distributed to all accessories.

The topcase can be quickly removed by moving two levers (one on either side) which reveals a rack that includes several 12v outlets, one 110v outlet possibly one 220v outlet. BMW intends to sell a wide array of plug-in accessories, including coffee makers, an electric wok, a blender, a campsite referigerator, a toaster, an air pump, power tools, and job site lighting. Naturally, the riders own electric radios, stereo, speakers, weed whacker, grill, and welding equipment will also work with this system.

He also told me that BMW will offer for the first time a trailer designed to match the LT, and large enough to hold many of the BMW power accessories described above. /10 LTs can be ordered with a trailer hitch, stabilizer, and wiring specifically designed for thsi trailer, which also comes equipped with ABS brakes linked to the bike's braking system. Models with the trailer option will be desginated "LT-TR".

He had a lot of additional information, but we ran out of time, so we're going to meet this weekend for a hamburger. I'm especially eager to learn more about BMW's new scooter, the KSC1200TER.

More when I have it.

Mike

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #23 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:00 pm

Quote:
/10 LTs can be ordered with a trailer hitch, stabilizer, and wiring specifically designed for thsi trailer
AH-HA!!! I thought the /10 was completely wireless?!
post #24 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I had breakfast with my niece's German foreign exchange student today and in the privacy of a small restaurant, he felt more at ease telling me more about the upcoming /10 LT.

We mostly talked about accessories. BMW is coming out with a feature called 'accessory drive' for the new LT. This system includes a much larger alternator with chain drive coming off the crank. Power will be sent to an area under the topcase where it can be distributed to all accessories.

The topcase can be quickly removed by moving two levers (one on either side) which reveals a rack that includes several 12v outlets, one 110v outlet possibly one 220v outlet. BMW intends to sell a wide array of plug-in accessories, including coffee makers, an electric wok, a blender, a campsite referigerator, a toaster, an air pump, power tools, and job site lighting. Naturally, the riders own electric radios, stereo, speakers, weed whacker, grill, and welding equipment will also work with this system.

He also told me that BMW will offer for the first time a trailer designed to match the LT, and large enough to hold many of the BMW power accessories described above. /10 LTs can be ordered with a trailer hitch, stabilizer, and wiring specifically designed for thsi trailer, which also comes equipped with ABS brakes linked to the bike's braking system. Models with the trailer option will be desginated "LT-TR".

He had a lot of additional information, but we ran out of time, so we're going to meet this weekend for a hamburger. I'm especially eager to learn more about BMW's new scooter, the KSC1200TER.

More when I have it.

Mike
This sure explains your brown eyes!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 27 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 6:29 pm

Make sure they throw a spare final drive or two in that trailer as well...
post #26 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 10:26 am

I took my niece's German foreign exchange student out for a classic American 'burger, fries and chocolate shake last night. His name is Hienrich, and he's a nice kid. He speaks English very well, and has a keen interest in everything American.

We were talking about Harley's 105th Anniversary Party which begins this week (we live near Milwaukee) and he mentioned that his father told him about BMW's 100th Anniversary edition of the /10 LT.

I was taken aback by this news and asked him a few questions, the first one being 'how can a company that built its first motorcycle in 1923 celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2010?'

BMW's reasoning is that if you convert 75 years (the approximate number of years they've built motorcycles) into metric, it equals about 100 years, hence the 100th anniversary. I did some quick mental math and concluded that their numbers are a bit off, since 62.5 regular years converts to 100 metric years. Anyhow, it's apparently a marketing department matter, and BMW feels the need to compete with HD.

BMW envies HD's ability to sell high-margin special edition bikes (HD's CVO edition bikes), and intends to bring out their own special edition of the /10 LT.

It will be called the 'Speziell K'. The boxer engine will be uprated by approx 20 horsepower and have a custom-looking chrome four-into-two exhaust system with pipes on both sides of the bike. This custom exhaust sytem will be called the 'Aigle Criant' pipes. I'll have to get my German-English translator out of mothballs and find out what that phrase means.

The Speziell K bike will feature very unsual body panels. All of the body panels will be made from lightly smoked clear Lexan, including the fairing, the top case, the saddle bags, etc. Every piece of body work will be smoked Lexan, creating a see-through effect. The frame parts will be painted blue and white (same colors as are in BMW's logs), and many of the engine/transmission parts will be chromed. There will be LEDs hidden inside the body so the bikes innards can be illuminated at night, at bike shows, at boom box night, etc. This is going to be a very neat feature, I think, adding some long-overdue bling to the K bike.

I think this may explain why BMW has gone to a completely wireless electric system for the /10, as I learned about previously and included in an earlier post. They want the see-through Speziell K to look really clean and high-tech, so they got rid of the wires. Clever!

A big advantage of the Lexan body will be that the rider can see into the topcase and saddlebags without having to open them, making it far easier to determine where thinks were packed when a trip began. Questions like 'honey, do you remember where I packed the torx wrench kit?' will be a thing of the past. Hiding a firearm in your saddlebag, will, of course, become more difficult.

It was a pretty interesting hour I spent with Heinrich. He's starting to loosen up a bit, and is a nice kid. I've promised him a ride on my Harley this afternoon, and maybe I'll be able to get a bit more information about the next LT.

2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #27 of 27 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 2:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I took my niece's German foreign exchange student out for a classic American 'burger, fries and chocolate shake last night. His name is Hienrich, and he's a nice kid. He speaks English very well, and has a keen interest in everything American.

We were talking about Harley's 105th Anniversary Party which begins this week (we live near Milwaukee) and he mentioned that his father told him about BMW's 100th Anniversary edition of the /10 LT.

I was taken aback by this news and asked him a few questions, the first one being 'how can a company that built its first motorcycle in 1923 celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2010?'

BMW's reasoning is that if you convert 75 years (the approximate number of years they've built motorcycles) into metric, it equals about 100 years, hence the 100th anniversary. I did some quick mental math and concluded that their numbers are a bit off, since 62.5 regular years converts to 100 metric years. Anyhow, it's apparently a marketing department matter, and BMW feels the need to compete with HD.

BMW envies HD's ability to sell high-margin special edition bikes (HD's CVO edition bikes), and intends to bring out their own special edition of the /10 LT.

It will be called the 'Speziell K'. The boxer engine will be uprated by approx 20 horsepower and have a custom-looking chrome four-into-two exhaust system with pipes on both sides of the bike. This custom exhaust sytem will be called the 'Aigle Criant' pipes. I'll have to get my German-English translator out of mothballs and find out what that phrase means.

The Speziell K bike will feature very unsual body panels. All of the body panels will be made from lightly smoked clear Lexan, including the fairing, the top case, the saddle bags, etc. Every piece of body work will be smoked Lexan, creating a see-through effect. The frame parts will be painted blue and white (same colors as are in BMW's logs), and many of the engine/transmission parts will be chromed. There will be LEDs hidden inside the body so the bikes innards can be illuminated at night, at bike shows, at boom box night, etc. This is going to be a very neat feature, I think, adding some long-overdue bling to the K bike.

I think this may explain why BMW has gone to a completely wireless electric system for the /10, as I learned about previously and included in an earlier post. They want the see-through Speziell K to look really clean and high-tech, so they got rid of the wires. Clever!

A big advantage of the Lexan body will be that the rider can see into the topcase and saddlebags without having to open them, making it far easier to determine where thinks were packed when a trip began. Questions like 'honey, do you remember where I packed the torx wrench kit?' will be a thing of the past. Hiding a firearm in your saddlebag, will, of course, become more difficult.

It was a pretty interesting hour I spent with Heinrich. He's starting to loosen up a bit, and is a nice kid. I've promised him a ride on my Harley this afternoon, and maybe I'll be able to get a bit more information about the next LT.
Riding that scooter has made you prematurely senile.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in