Still Lovin' It ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 1:25 am Thread Starter

Still Lovin' It !

Bought my LT in Thailand in December 03, unfortunately work has taken me to China where riding is not an option, so shipped my bike back to South Africa a year ago. Just back from holiday there and 3 weeks of fantastic riding!! Read many threads about leaking seals when an LT stays in storage for long periods without being ridden so was a bit apprehensive. To cut a long story short, I changed the brake fluid, stuck in a new battery ( it was due for a change anyway), pressed the button and she fired up first time. Did 5000 km up and down the coast riding 2 up - a lot of the time at 140kph, and no sign of any oil leaks. However, and I hate to say this because she performed beautifully otherwise, I did have one problem. Towards the end of the trip I started to smell gas so pulled in at a gas station and noticed some fuel leaking down on the bottom right hand side of the bike, not much, so carried on and made it back home without any problem. Stripped the panel off and found that the non-return valve on the inlet fuel line had cracked. Went down to the dealer to get a new one and was surprised to find that the replacement part was no longer "plastic", but metal, indicating to me that this may not have been the first time that this sort of failure has occurred. Having never seen any mention of this type of issue in any of the threads on this site, I thought I would share. Anyhow, if you do have the panels off at any time it may be worth checking which type of valve you have fitted - if plastic it may be worth spending $30 - $40 (price in SA, probably less in most other places),and changing it, as there is some tension on the valve due to the pipe doubling back on itself during installation.(more so on the inlet than the outlet pipe).
Nevertheless, a small price to pay after 34,500 km of otherwise faultless performance from a great machine. Am I still happy with this bike after owning it for nearly 5 years - you bet!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in