Roll over Valve Hose Hazard!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 1:01 am Thread Starter

Roll over Valve Hose Hazard!!!

I have had several incidents of over pressure venting when removing the gas cap. On occasions even felt the tank shape change when the cap was removed. This weekend while performing the 12K shuffle I discovered the hose pinched shut. I would assume that it was assembled at the factory this way. The hose was pinched between the back edge of the fuel tank and the top left corner of the crankshaft cover. If you notice your tank venting air when the cap is removed I would have this item checked ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:40 am

Re: Roll over Valve Hose Hazard!!!

often that hiss when opening the gas cap means the cannister has collapsed from overfilling.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWelty
I have had several incidents of over pressure venting when removing the gas cap. On occasions even felt the tank shape change when the cap was removed. This weekend while performing the 12K shuffle I discovered the hose pinched shut. I would assume that it was assembled at the factory this way. The hose was pinched between the back edge of the fuel tank and the top left corner of the crankshaft cover. If you notice your tank venting air when the cap is removed I would have this item checked ASAP.
Another thing to check is your cannister under the rear seat. It's probably clogged. Most of us here have just disconnected it. In CA, I wouldn't tell my neighbor though. LOL
There should be no "swoosh" when removing the gas cap as BAD things will begin to happen inside the tank. Fix the problem ASAP!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

You can't plug a removed canister... I removed the canister when this problem first reared it's ugly head. Unfortunately this cannisterectomy failed to solve the problem. The dealer failed to find the problem as well. The hose was pinched so hard and 12K worth of crankcase cover contact reshaped the line so badly I had to replace the entire hose. This is a significant problem if you take the bike up any altitudes above 4000 feet this could cause a catastrophic failure do to atmospheric pressure change.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:17 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ok what about the mud dauber wasp that builds one in the end of the hose. What then? I know this was man made (or induced) but I don't see a catastrophic failure happening at 4000 ft. It is just a vent line and will collapse the tank and possibly damage the fuel sender. Yeah if you don't notice it you could suffer from fuel starvation just like if you ran out of fuel.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Ok what about the mud dauber wasp that builds one in the end of the hose. What then? I know this was man made (or induced) but I don't see a catastrophic failure happening at 4000 ft. It is just a vent line and will collapse the tank and possibly damage the fuel sender. Yeah if you don't notice it you could suffer from fuel starvation just like if you ran out of fuel.
I was puking a quart or more of tranny fluid all OVER the place every time I cold started started my 88 Chevy truck - but - the tranny worked just fine! All I could think was man, this is going to be expensive... I kept dumping fluid in until I had the time to look at it.

I never could figure it out and finally took it to a pro for diagnosis. He pulled the pan, changed the filter, test drove and told me there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the tranny (to the tune of $170.00).

While he was lowering it off the lift he poked his head up in the tunnel and noticed that the tip of the vent hose was packed with mud:

Courtesy of an insect just trying to build a nice home for his family.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I was puking a quart or more of tranny fluid all OVER the place every time I cold started started my 88 Chevy truck - but - the tranny worked just fine! All I could think was man, this is going to be expensive... I kept dumping fluid in until I had the time to look at it.

I never could figure it out and finally took it to a pro for diagnosis. He pulled the pan, changed the filter, test drove and told me there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with the tranny (to the tune of $170.00).

While he was lowering it off the lift he poked his head up in the tunnel and noticed that the tip of the vent hose was packed with mud:

Courtesy of an insect just trying to build a nice home for his family.
I can't even begin to count how many "Check Engine" lights are set by spider webs in the hoses of car evaporative emissions systems....

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
I can't even begin to count how many "Check Engine" lights are set by spider webs in the hoses of car evaporative emissions systems....
HAHA - those little buggers set off my smoke alarms in my house every once and a while too - only at 3:00 am of course!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Unhappy Re: Roll over Valve Hose Hazard!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWelty
You can't plug a removed canister... I removed the canister when this problem first reared it's ugly head. Unfortunately this cannisterectomy failed to solve the problem. The dealer failed to find the problem as well. The hose was pinched so hard and 12K worth of crankcase cover contact reshaped the line so badly I had to replace the entire hose. This is a significant problem if you take the bike up any altitudes above 4000 feet this could cause a catastrophic failure do to atmospheric pressure change.
Who mentioned PLUG a REMOVED cannister?

I said to REMOVE the plugged cannister.

Somehow, your fuel tank isn't allowing air in as fuel is going out. I just mentioned ONE of many possibilities as a couple others have done. When you posted your question, I didn't see any mention of your already removing the cannister.
Sorry I tried to help.

Have a nice day, and good luck.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Of course you can Plug a Removed cannister. How else to prevent Ron's bugs from making it into a nice insect motel while sitting on the back shelf?

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in