Floorboards from Darius (dodk64) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Floorboards from Darius (dodk64)

Two weeks ago, I installed the floorboards produced by Darius and all I can say is WOW! The floorboards have made the LT so much more comfortable for long trips. Even my wife likes them(an even bigger compliment) If anyone is thinking about getting floorboards......get in touch with Darius! These floorboards are amazingly well made and easy to install.

Thanks Darius!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Morry aka "MO"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Des Moines, IA
2008 Biarritz Blue LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Re: Floorboards from Darius (dodk64)

Agreed!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #3 of 40 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Thumbs up Re: Floorboards from Darius (dodk64)

+2..Got my set(driver only) 6000 miles ago and love 'em!!

post #4 of 40 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:19 pm

I just bought a 2005 K 1200 LT with the Floorboards. I love he extra leg room (36" inseam) they give me but in corners I seem to drag the floorboards a good bit. Any one else experienced this?
post #5 of 40 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:02 am

...got them some 1.5 year ago, already put some 15K miles, no way I'll go back to the stock pegs, quality is okay, service is big 10 out of 10, curves,corners,twisties, are only a matter of adjustments.
post #6 of 40 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshadow
I just bought a 2005 K 1200 LT with the Floorboards. I love he extra leg room (36" inseam) they give me but in corners I seem to drag the floorboards a good bit. Any one else experienced this?
Yeah, I've dragged them a couple of times but only because I had too much lean in a slow speed 90 deg turn and another time when I got a little bit too aggressive in some twisties but it was my toes that were dragging..sort of suprised me because I usually don't get much of a lean angle in turns..
Other than that the comfort on long rides outweighs the lean suprises for me..
post #7 of 40 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 2:11 pm

I also have a set I drag them all the time but still love them. Dropped the LT in the Driveway cleaning it and one of the floorboards cracked. Darius is replacing it for me great service and price.

VanO
post #8 of 40 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm

I loved mine, but the dragging changed my riding style. I finally took them off. The left one was about worn thru..
I sure loved the extra leg room though. I hardly used my J-Pegs with them on, now I am on the J-Pegs alot..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #9 of 40 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:10 pm

I want to keep thanking all you guys out there that gave me a chance to provide you with a more comfortable ride. I am glad most of you are enjoying them and are happy with your floorboards. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and only scraped them twice. I thought i was an aggressive driver too. I would hate to ride with the guys that were scaping them all the time. I would scared to. I like my knees. Maybe you guys need rt's to take out your fun on.thanks

post #10 of 40 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 6:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodk64
I want to keep thanking all you guys out there that gave me a chance to provide you with a more comfortable ride. I am glad most of you are enjoying them and are happy with your floorboards. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and only scraped them twice. I thought i was an aggressive driver too. I would hate to ride with the guys that were scaping them all the time. I would scared to. I like my knees. Maybe you guys need rt's to take out your fun on.thanks
I drag my stock foot pegs fairly often so I expect that floor boards would only exacerbate the situation.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 40 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:36 am

I have the drop-down-moved-forward boards from Darius. At 6'4 could not enjoy the LT without them.

But I too was dragging every now and then. The off the shelf floorboards are too long on the front end and you can scrape. Dragging, or more appropriately, fear of a surprise drag and possible upset got old to me. So I chopped 2'' off the front of the boards and have never-ever dragged again. Still comfortable too. Oh, lift your toes on the tight turns though. Don't ask how I know why you should.
post #12 of 40 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 12:13 pm

I recently got a set of the lowered pegs. Quality seems reasonable and they are very comfortable while on interstate. If you do any riding in the mountains or twisties, these are definitely not for you. They scrape VERY EASY. They also do no lift or fold. IMO not very safe. I am not an aggressive rider and have never scraped anything on my LT even 2 up. I will stick to my Jpegs and OEM pegs for now.
post #13 of 40 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 2:42 pm

If you are not going to lean the LT the way it was meant to be ridden,
why not just buy a Harley?

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #14 of 40 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoticalone
They also do not lift or fold. IMO not very safe.

That's my biggest issue with them. I plan on putting a raduis on mine so they will fold up when dragging the asphalt. I personally would rather they fold up than pivot the front wheel off of the ground. You tend to lose control at that point.
post #15 of 40 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 3:52 pm

Garage

I scrape mine a lot which concerns me. I never thought of taking a bit off the front might be worth a try, but I must mention the last time I emailed darius he metioned that his boards now fold up, the aussie dollar is now so low I wont be getting much from the states any more which is a shame. we have no aftermarket gear for the LT over here.
Cheers to all

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #16 of 40 Old Oct 21st, 2008, 9:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Agreed. They are fun to lean into the twisties. Really surprises some riders how well they handle, especially Harley riders
post #17 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
I could not agree more. You clowns have gone out and bought the most comfortable LUXURY TOURING motorcycle available, then, for your own selfish gains, purchased a quality floorboard (I say quality, because I bought a set for my wife - nice) for additional comfort, and sacrificed that additional 2-3 MPH you could have taken that last corner. What's up with that? Are you THAT stupid? Oh sure, you could argue that you're loaded with a passenger and enough gear to last a week, maybe even towing a trailer, but COME ON PEOPLE!!!!
BMW built this 850 pound supersport to be DRIVEN - DRIVE IT!!!
And what's with these guys riding Ninjas? Ever seen one go around a corner without dragging his knee? WTF's up with that? They put tread clear around the tire to the rim, USE IT. If you're not gonna drag a knee - get a Harley!
And while I'm at it, ever see these dual sports on the asphalt? Get the hell in the dirt, or get a Harley.
I could go on, but my favorite bar is about to open (10:00 AM), so I'm getting into my costume (chaps, heated thong, doo rag, skull cap, fingerless gloves, vest and flipflops) and taking my Harley straight (no leaning) to the bar and find myself a 400+ pound tattooed sweathog.
BYE BYE
post #18 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I could not agree more. You clowns have gone out and bought the most comfortable LUXURY TOURING motorcycle available, then, for your own selfish gains, purchased a quality floorboard (I say quality, because I bought a set for my wife - nice) for additional comfort, and sacrificed that additional 2-3 MPH you could have taken that last corner. What's up with that? Are you THAT stupid? Oh sure, you could argue that you're loaded with a passenger and enough gear to last a week, maybe even towing a trailer, but COME ON PEOPLE!!!!
And what's with these guys riding Ninjas? Ever seen one go around a corner without dragging his knee? WTF's up with that? They put tread clear around the tire to the rim, USE IT. If you're not gonna drag a knee - get a Harley!
And while I'm at it, ever see these dual sports on the asphalt? Get the hell in the dirt, or get a Harley.
I could go on, but my favorite bar is about to open (10:00 AM), so I'm getting into my costume (chaps, heated thong, doo rag, skull cap, fingerless gloves, vest and flipflops) and taking my Harley straight (no leaning) to the bar and find myself a 400+ pound tattooed sweathog.
BYE BYE
WOW, What a RANT.

No DeCaf in Oregon?

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #19 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 12:10 pm

Quote:
BYE BYE

I have to agree with your sarcasm!!!

post #20 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 1:33 pm

Quote:
find myself a 400+ pound tattooed sweathog.
I always wondered why Harley riders put the fat pigs on the back of their hogs?

Maybe they want to practice wheelies.
I really like the tiny pilon seat with the 400 pounder sitting on it.

Off topic.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #21 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 1:48 pm

Put a pair of his floorboards on before honey and me took a 2,000 mi. trip.
Do I scrape 'em? YEP.
Will I take 'em off?
Nope.

Quality gear, worth the price.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #22 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 2:07 pm

Quote:
for additional comfort, and sacrificed that additional 2-3 MPH you could have taken that last corner. What's up with that? Are you THAT stupid?
I wish it were only 2-3 MPH. I could definitely live with that. Closer to 10MPH or more. Or if they at least folded. In the last 10k miles I have never scraped anything. Just not enough clearance with the boards for the mountain roads I consistently ride. The bike is comfortable as is and I still get to have some fun on the curves. I will stick with the pegs. Listed my boards on Ebay. I am sure someone will find more use for them than I will.
post #23 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 3:11 pm

I know for a fact that I can drag the passenger pegs on my LT...

How else did they get all rashed up.
I could not imagine slowing down any slower to get around a turn?

Maybe when I get old, I will want floor boards.
But I am pretty sure that the trike come with them.

Visit
post #24 of 40 Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 3:47 pm

Hey Darius........jump in here pardner!!!!

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #25 of 40 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 6:05 pm

I guess it is time to jump in here.sorry it took so long. I have been using my floorboards for almost 2 years now and have only scraped them 3 times, twice with wife on it. You guys that are scraping them a lot, maybe you do need a sport bike to take out your aggressiveness out on. Wasn't it made for touring? I think I am somewhat of an aggressive driver. and can't seem to scrape them more than once riding single.
I have come up with a way to make them fold up. the problem is , it is about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour project and i don't want to be stuck in my cellar modifying sets of floorboards that everyone is going to want to send back. i wouldn't mind doing 1 set a week but don't want to be doing it from time i get home until i go to sleep i am real busy at my real job and don't have much time now .
i hope people realize that i do have regular height floorboards to which are twice as comfortable as regular stock pegs. Anything is better than those small stock pegs. I rode with regular height ones for over a month and loved them.
All you 1200rt riders, I now will have passenger floorboards . One of our fellow bmw forum guys was nice enough to bring me his 2008 bmw 1200rt so i can try to make rider floorboards for him. need to order thicker stock aluminum for his driver boards but was able to come up with a set of passenger floorboards.

post #26 of 40 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodk64
You guys that are scraping them a lot, maybe you do need a sport bike to take out your aggressiveness out on. Wasn't it made for touring? I think I am somewhat of an aggressive driver. and can't seem to scrape them more than once riding single.
Granted that the scraping for me does not happen often but I believe the issue with scraping the floorboards is not dependent on if you're an agressive rider or not but more to being the roads that you ride on. I live near the mountains and there are quite a few decreasing radius turns and also switchbacks. Here's a senerio. If you're in a left hand turn on some switchbacks and at the same time it heads uphill, you're guaranteed to scrape the piss out of the boards without being an "agressive" rider. Effectively the angle of the grade now took away from your available lean angle. But on the other hand if you only ride the slab, the only scrapes you'll get will get will be your bike after putting your foot down in oil at the truck stop.
post #27 of 40 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Have Ilium rider sport boards. Drag them ALOT.
Thanks to Spirit-Rider I'll be starting my next riding season with a set of stock pegs. (Hope to pick em up tomorrow Steve)
I hope I find them comfortable on the longer runs (6'3 with a 32" inseam). Even if slightly less comfortable, I'm SO looking forward to not dragging my (folsing) boards and feet !!
Keir
post #28 of 40 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 9:16 pm

I am sure the regular height boards would make a difference as the ones I have are lowered. I really don't need the extra length being 6' but they were comfortable. Decreasing radius curves will scrape the boards at about 5 mph over speed limit or less. Big sweeping curves , no problem. I guess it is all in how and where you ride.
post #29 of 40 Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:21 pm

Smile Re: Floorboards from Darius (dodk64)

How about giving people a choice of either stock or fold up, different pricing and different delivery times as you would have to spend the extra time making the fold up ones. You would probably get more people interested in the product if there was a choice. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have come up with a way to make them fold up. the problem is , it is about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour project
post #30 of 40 Old Oct 28th, 2008, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoticalone
Decreasing radius curves will scrape the boards at about 5 mph over speed limit or less. Big sweeping curves , no problem. I guess it is all in how and where you ride.
Doesn't have to work that way. I've got about 15,000 miles on a set of Darius' lowered boards and the only time they've scraped for me has been when I intentionally made them do so to see what effect it had. I routinely ride the NC and VA Blue Ridge mountain backroads, where straight isn't an option, and I don't ride slow. The angle of lean for a given radius and speed of turn is not fixed; you're moving the CG by leaning the bike but you can also move it my shifting your weight. The result of shifting weight inboard is that you can use a greater speed for a given lean angle for an given curve radius.

There's no question that the boards limit the available lean angle, and there is limit as well to how much most people want to hang off the bike on the inside of the turn -it requires more "activity" from the rider, but it really isn't necessary to drag the boards at speeds that don't over-drive the sight lines and brakes.
post #31 of 40 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmyrrh
Doesn't have to work that way. I've got about 15,000 miles on a set of Darius' lowered boards and the only time they've scraped for me has been when I intentionally made them do so to see what effect it had. I routinely ride the NC and VA Blue Ridge mountain backroads, where straight isn't an option, and I don't ride slow. The angle of lean for a given radius and speed of turn is not fixed; you're moving the CG by leaning the bike but you can also move it my shifting your weight. The result of shifting weight inboard is that you can use a greater speed for a given lean angle for an given curve radius.

There's no question that the boards limit the available lean angle, and there is limit as well to how much most people want to hang off the bike on the inside of the turn -it requires more "activity" from the rider, but it really isn't necessary to drag the boards at speeds that don't over-drive the sight lines and brakes.
Seriously????? If I am leaning out that much to avoid scraping the boards, how will I reach my BMW cupholder?
post #32 of 40 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:54 am

No wonder I'm always covered in coffee stains!
post #33 of 40 Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:05 pm
BMW Guru

For those of you looking for floor boards that do fold up there is an alternative...

http://www.iliumworks.com/Store_Deta...98&InfoID=5919

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1516

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #34 of 40 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:12 pm

I will be happy to send anyone a pair of their $450 fold up floorboards to try. I have a set of their floorboards collecting dusk. i will give you a great deal on them even though i know you will not be happy when trying them. i have sent them to about 10 people to try and all sent them back to me.

post #35 of 40 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:18 pm

I was being a smartass when I posted some days ago about the boards: the point being that people ride their bikes differently, and no one here has the right to belittle anyone for their riding style: especially if it just happens to be different than yours. To each his own, and respect it!
Personally, I like to rip, and have taken many steps to increase my lean angle, so boards aren't in my future. I did buy a set of your boards for my wife's comfort, and that was money very well spent. Thank you.
post #36 of 40 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:20 pm

I for one found your post humerous but point well taken. Amazing that we would even be discussing lean angle or tearing through curves in reference to a touring bike. Amazing machines no matter how you choose to enjoy them.
post #37 of 40 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:22 am

Sorry for digging up this old thread (well, no I'm not, I wasn't registered here when it was active, and I feel an urgent need to post here now )

Just ordered Darius' relocated driver and passenger boards for my LT. I think they'll be a huge benefit on our long days as my buddy and I tour to Alaska this summer. He's picking up an '09 LT tomorrow, the lucky bastage. I have to "live with" my '01, which I'm already in love with.

I, for one, didn't buy the LT to see how far I can push it in the twisties. I bought it for comfort on the long haul. I do appreciate the performance of the LT already though and frankly can't wait to scrape my new boards I just don't see the fun in wrestling the LT around all day long though - something more nimble fits the bill much better.

The guys above making the Harley comments listen up... When I want to go do some peg grinding, I get ON my HD (V-Rod). On that, I can keep up with litre sport bikes in the twisties, due to the superior low speed acceleration of the revolution motor. For you guys that like to lean, go ride a V-Rod - I guarantee ear-to-ear grins. And no, I do not have and do not look for tatted-up 400 lb pillions. Nor do I wear all the "Harley" gear, or a do-rag, wallet-with-chain, or chaps with my A$$ hanging out of them. Us V-Rodders are pretty much HD outcasts, which is fine with me.

OK, rant is over. Thanks for listening

VRP

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #38 of 40 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 3:20 pm

I just don't see the fun in wrestling the LT around all day long though - something more nimble fits the bill much better.

I used to think that too. It's why I sold my GW years ago. I've got three bikes: FXSTD, FZ1 and the LT. I catch myself looking at the LT and wondering why I bought such a big bike. Originally it was just for two up touring, and making my wife comfortable. But EVERY TIME I ride it, I'm amazed. It's not the rush the FZ1 give me, but once she's up and moving, what a treat to ride. I've never been on any bike that compares, given all she'll do.

And don't be bashful about the V-rod. Had it not been for the wife wanting to ride with me (prior to the LT, and when I bought the Deuce) I would surely have one!
post #39 of 40 Old Mar 5th, 2009, 6:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
Sorry for digging up this old thread (well, no I'm not, I wasn't registered here when it was active, and I feel an urgent need to post here now )

Just ordered Darius' relocated driver and passenger boards for my LT. I think they'll be a huge benefit on our long days as my buddy and I tour to Alaska this summer. He's picking up an '09 LT tomorrow, the lucky bastage. I have to "live with" my '01, which I'm already in love with.

I, for one, didn't buy the LT to see how far I can push it in the twisties. I bought it for comfort on the long haul. I do appreciate the performance of the LT already though and frankly can't wait to scrape my new boards I just don't see the fun in wrestling the LT around all day long though - something more nimble fits the bill much better.

The guys above making the Harley comments listen up... When I want to go do some peg grinding, I get ON my HD (V-Rod). On that, I can keep up with litre sport bikes in the twisties, due to the superior low speed acceleration of the revolution motor. For you guys that like to lean, go ride a V-Rod - I guarantee ear-to-ear grins. And no, I do not have and do not look for tatted-up 400 lb pillions. Nor do I wear all the "Harley" gear, or a do-rag, wallet-with-chain, or chaps with my A$$ hanging out of them. Us V-Rodders are pretty much HD outcasts, which is fine with me.

OK, rant is over. Thanks for listening

VRP
You need to ride with some folks who know how to ride their litre class sport bikes.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #40 of 40 Old Jun 5th, 2012, 8:46 am

Thumbs up Re: Floorboards from Darius (dodk64)

Hey all, just wanted to give some props for the Darius's (dodk64) floorboards. I ordered a complete set (driver & passenger) and I must say I was thoroughly impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of the product as well as the speed of shipping!

I got the "forward and down" setup for myself, I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I was amazed how natural the position of this setup felt for me. I had the Suburban Machinery footpeg re-locators on before putting these on. I think this setup for the driver actually gives me just a wee bit more leg room than the SM kit did.

So far I have not scraped them but I don't really consider myself an agressive rider. I have touched the toe of my boots on the pavement before in some corners but I think that was more about me having my toes down over the front of the peg. Now with these floorboards I won't have my toes hanging over the front of them so it will be interesting to see if I ever scrape them.

My wife is very happy with her floorboards, much more room for her to move her feet around and change positions on longer rides.

Thanks so much Darius for making such a quality product at a reasonable price, I am definitely a happy customer!

I did buy these in preparation to a trip to Branson next month. I'm even more exciting about the trip now knowing that I have these.

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in