Last to learn - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Last to learn

One of my peeves about the LT was filling the tank - never could do it (I mean FULL) without spilling gas... I know that the rubber cuffs on gas nozzles aren't found everywhere, but they are around here.

Anyway my friendly mech introduced me to the McCuff(r) - http://www.mccuff.com/ - use it & when the handle clicks off, it's full!!! This is one of those slap on the forehead things - who woulda thunk...

Anyway, it works (no, I'm not a shareholder, just a happier LT rider...). One of the best $20 farkles I've found.

AND, it was cheaper at my BMW dealer than at the Asian SuperStore down the street by almost 20% -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Re: Last to learn

Yes, this product works well.

BUT, beware of the faulty gast pump shut off, as you will pressurize your overfilled tank and the gas will spray EVERYWHERE. I ended up catching a good shot of it with in my eyes. Rather debilitating experience.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:19 am

Had the same thing happen twice now. Called McCuff and they said to try a different station as the nozzle may have been too big and did not let it vent. haven't done that yet.It worked perfect on my wife's harley.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Had mine spray me as well. Probably just me, but I gave up on it. One experience of blindly making your way to the restroom drenched with gas and having it shot directly into your eyes was enough for me. Its been several months and I can still smell the gas on my clothes and helmet.

I'll just take a few extra moments to top off the tank.

When you use it for the first time my advice would be to pump slow and don't use the handle catch until you're sure it is working for you. You'll be able to react quicker and get the gas shut off if things go wrong. Wouldn't hurt to have your visor down either.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I find that I fill it until it shuts off or I watch the gallons. Then I put some in and then gently slap the side of the tank a few times and the air bubbles come out and I can fill again. Do this 2 to 3 times and I always get a full tank.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 5:48 pm

You might want to take care not to fill your tank too full.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...light=overfill

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:44 am Thread Starter

I believe that's why we do a canisterectomy -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in