2008 K1200LT or Concours 14? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

2008 K1200LT or Concours 14?

Hi All...

Looking for some VALUABLE input.

My wife and I are moving into the touring market. Looking at the BMW 2008 K1200LT and the Kawasaki Concours 14.

I am moving up from my current 2001 Suzuki SV650S. Riding two up for too long is just not working for us. We know we love the sport of motorcycle touring cause every time we're on the Suzuki we don't want to get off but, we have to because:

1. Our butts and backs hurt after a couple of hours...
2. We can't carry or buy anything during our short travels...

We love traveling together, even if it is a short ride... so we've come to the smart conclusion that we want to move up to the touring segment...

So I know this is the BMW thread but, would like any members to comment on comparing the BMW 2008 K1200LT to the Kawasaki Concours 14.

Has anyone had the experience on both of these bikes and can give a life experience comparison?

Input greatly appreciated...

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Re: 2008 K1200LT or Concours 14?

Concours compares to GT more than LT.

For two up, LT is the best.

I used to have Concours as well. I have also riden Concours 14.

You may want to check out Honda Goldwing and Victory Vision as well.

Good Luck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbellyfrog
Hi All...

My wife and I are moving into the touring market. Looking at the BMW 2008 K1200LT and the Kawasaki Concours 14.

I am moving up from my current 2001 Suzuki SV650S. Riding two up for too long is just not working for us. We know we love the sport of motorcycle touring cause every time we're on the Suzuki we don't want to get off but, we have to because:

We love traveling together, even if it is a short ride... so we've come to the smart conclusion that we want to move up to the touring segment...

So I know this is the BMW thread but, would like any members to comment on comparing the BMW 2008 K1200LT to the Kawasaki Concours 14.

Has anyone had the experience on both of these bikes and can give a life experience comparison?

John

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 4:16 pm

^^What Matt said. Connie is comparable to the GT, and perhaps a Honda ST1300, or Yamaha FJR.

Me and the SO were looking at the ST1300 - but she wanted to join me on extended rides (CCR, here we come!). We average 12-15K a year two-up, and the above mentioned scooters wouldn't have worked.

The C-14 might work for you if you want to just do day rides.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Make the SO happy and get the LT. Will make you happy too. Radio, adjustable windshield, winglets for air control, two adjustable seat heights, lever adjustments, large trunk and saddle bags. For her you get heated back rest with heated seat. Inter com and the most important is the lighted mirror for the SO to check her out in the trunk.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 5:43 pm

I just bought an 05 LT to add to my sportbike. Same reasons as you expressed, my wife and I switched bikes to ride 2 up. I tried to do 2 up riding on my Ducati 1098 just for short trips with my wife. No way was this pleasant! We looked at the Kawi, I used to own a ZX9R, but she wanted a truly comfortable back seat. Her favorite seat was on the goldwing, but considering I wanted a great handling bike, great mileage, and great looks, the LT was the winner hands down. I almost bought a new Goldwing, but it's looks alone made my decision easier. The Kawasaki looks great, but it doesn't have that heated back seat for my wife, and she did not want a backrest that looked like it was just bolted on.
Fortunately I have the 1098 and the LT. Both are great at what they are designed for. The LT for us has been exactly what we wanted, and I used this forum to help with my decision before I bought it.
Good luck with your purchase, either way riding with the spouse is a cool way to spend time together.
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Owning an LT myself, I am considering the Connie.
The Lt just doesn't handle like I want a bike to.

I have often said that if the LT had just two more inches of ground clearance it would be a really great bike.
IT shouldn't be that hard for BMW to tuck the center stand, side stand and foot pegs up just a little bit so they don't drag.
A more narrow plastic lower would help.

Here comes the flaming from the people who have never ridden their LT to its very limit.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Owning an LT myself, I am considering the Connie.
The Lt just doesn't handle like I want a bike to.

I have often said that if the LT had just two more inches of ground clearance it would be a really great bike.
IT shouldn't be that hard for BMW to tuck the center stand, side stand and foot pegs up just a little bit so they don't drag.
A more narrow plastic lower would help.

Here comes the flaming from the people who have never ridden their LT to its very limit.
Flame? Nah. It is obvious that your preferred riding style simply isn't what the LT was designed for. For canyon carving, no doubt the Concours is the better choice. For long distance traveling comfort, the LT is the better choice, especially if you ride two-up often.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Lots of folks tour on the C14. You can do it, but you need to remember that the C14 is a smaller bike. A friend has a Wing and the C14. He loves them both, but his wife prefers the room and comfort of the Wing. Take the Mrs down to the dealer and test ride or at least test sit both. I'll lay you odds she picks the LT.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #9 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbellyfrog
Hi All...

John
I've had both. The LT is hands down the way to go for long distance two up touring. I love the Concours, but it is "my" bike; the LT was "our" bike.

If you are talking luxury two up touring there are a few contenders - LT, Wing, Vision, Venture, Road King

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

I frequently tour with my son-in-law, who has a Kaw Concourse 14. While he is constantly amazed at the capability of the LT in the twisties, when it really gets down to it, I can't even come close to keeping up with the Kaw. However, when it comes to 2 up comfort, the Kaw can't even come close to the LT. While my daughter enjoys riding 2 up on the Kaw, they both acknowledge the day will come when the advantages in raw performance won't compromise the disadvantages of raw discomfort. Suggest you have the SO spend some demo time on the pillion before you pull the trigger. You may have a smile from the performance, but IMAHANH.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:07 am

Your SO will LOVE the LT. Mine has been on the back of more than a few bikes and has even had her own. She thinks the LT is the best passanger bike she has been on including the HD Ultra. That being said I can't say the same for the rider. The original seat killed me. Rather than repeat it all again here is my original post. Please keep in mind I love this bike and all is well now.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36377

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in