Camping (mis)Adventure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Red face Camping (mis)Adventure

So, my dad and I planned out a nice little camping trip; him with his wife on his wing and me with my wife on my LT. Things were going well; despite finding some sand in a campground in Ludinginton and finding out that a top-heavy bike plus sand equals a nap.

We continued on north and were almost all the way up the north end of the Leelanau peninsula of Michigan around the Sleeping Bear Dunes (about the ring finger of the "mitten", for those not familiar); some very beautiful parts of the country. On Wednesday, my wife and I set out from the campsite to go to check out the little town nearby. I noticed, however, that my clutch was feeling very iffy; it was as if there was no clutch there for first gear - it got better with the upshifts.

My LT only has about 12.5K on her, so I couldn't imagine that the clutch was going bad (or even the well-known clutch issue that's discussed on here). However, there was no denying that something was wrong. Once we got into town (only a couple miles away) I started calling dealers; the closest being the one in Grand Rapids. After speaking with their techs a couple of times, it was decided that it might not be the clutch, but rather the drive shaft.

For those of you that don't know (I didn't), apparently, the drive shaft is a two-piece shaft that is bonded together. And, where they meet, it is not metal, but rather a composite, hard, rubber-like material. The head of the service department at GR said that he'd seen it twice, on RTs, but never on an LT.

With almost no options available, I called in to the roadside assistance to get it towed to GR. The towing bill would have been $615 ( ~160 miles), had it not been for that. Of course, with only $500, covered, I was responsible for the rest - still a MUCH better deal than 100%.

My dad helped with logistics and transported my wife to the nearest rental car dealership (about 45 minutes away in Traverse City) while I waited for the tow. It was disheartening to see my baby get hauled away like that.

And now for the really bad news. The dealership in GR is backlogged by two weeks!!! That means that they will not even LOOK at it for two weeks, unless someone cancels their service (pssst! Michigan riders, PLEASE cancel your service! ).

So, the bike is still in MI and I am back in IN. Once the bike is done, I'll have to make arrangements again to get back to MI to pick her up. However, it will be nice to finish the ride that I started; even if I'll be cheated out of about 160 miles of the journey.

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Re: Camping (mis)Adventure

I guess I don't understand completely about the BMW dealership *VOR* (Vehicle Off Road) program. I woulda thought this woulda been a classic example where that program of helping a traveling rider would have been extended to AJ? Apparently not, or maybe not every dealership embraces that program. I know mine does, whenever possible.

Good luck with the fix, A.J. Hope you get to finish your planned trip.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:26 pm
Bouncer

My dealership will drop everything for a traveler. The longest you might wait is for them to clear off an available lift. They VOR parts all the time if they don't have them in stock.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:14 pm

12.5k?
Wow.
It's like every mile I ride mine without it stranding me is a gift.
I have to stop reading these breakdown threads. I'm really getting paranoid.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:55 am

I've been planning a trip to Montana. When I mentioned it to my wife yesterday, she said she'd hate to get off that far alone and break down. I would have never considered that on any of my other bikes. Between the failures and the cost to repair, it seems a shame. I guess reading about these failures every day makes you paranoid. It just don't seem right............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 9:23 am

could you have possibly gotten air in the clutch when the bike was sleeping on its side?

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
could you have possibly gotten air in the clutch when the bike was sleeping on its side?
That thought occurred to me briefly. Then a whole bunch of other thoughts started coming in and blocked that one out.

Do you think that it would mimic the same symptoms?

AJ

post #8 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
12.5k?
Wow.
It's like every mile I ride mine without it stranding me is a gift.
I have to stop reading these breakdown threads. I'm really getting paranoid.
It's starts to eat at you. I have a trip to NM planned next month for Balloon Fiesta and keep running these thoughts thru my mind. Most of the thoughts were not there on the other bikes. Plus I have to be back by a certain date for a son's wedding. I keep thinking I should limit my ride to just the northeast for leaf change or use another bike. But, isn't long distance riding the reason for the KLT. It really makes you think about your next bike choice. I know "Just Ride It", and "Other Bikes Break Too", but I didn't have some of these other issues on most of my other bikes. Too bad BMW doesn't acknowledge some of these major issues.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Wink Re: Camping (mis)Adventure

Just recently took a trip from Fayetteville NC to Lake George NY. The round trip rung up right at 1600 miles. While on the trip I remembered all the threads regarding breakdowns. I found myself being sensitive to the vibrations and the sounds of the bike for the first couple of hundred miles. Then I put the thoughts out of my mind and just enjoyed the ride. The bike ran flawlessly and I made it back safely which was the icing on the cake. People, take the trip, be safe, enjoy the ride. When you get back tell us about it so we don't get hung up on the failures which are generally a small percentage. I myself have had the final drive failure but was able to get the repair prior to being stranded. I still believe the LT to be a reliable machine.
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 5:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I agree I lost a rear end at 37K and now have 96K without any other problems. Go ahead and ride and enjoy the best riding bike I have every rode. Jim
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Sorry about your misadventure but I can't imagine after this how your father was trying to sell you on Honda........................

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 9:06 am

I have had 6 BMWs since early 2005 and have not had 1 problem with any of them.
Enjoy the ride.

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 9:16 am

Note to self: Don't break down in Grand Rapids-

I can't believe that they don't put travelers first. All of the dealerships I have worked at went well and beyond for them.
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Re: Camping (mis)Adventure - Update

So, I finally have the LT back. Went up Friday night, stayed in a nice hotel and came back with her on Saturday morning. The issue: the clutch.

Seems the clutch spring was "out of spec"; essentially it lost it's springiness. Thus, the clutch plate would not properly engage. The said that when they took it apart the clutch plate was disintegrated. They ended up replacing the clutch plate, the pressure plate, the spring and the housing. Almost $900 worth of parts that I didn't have to pay for, thanks to the warranty (not to mention the labor).

Glad to have the bike back.

AJ

post #15 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 6:13 pm

well then good news bad news for you....free repair but you got to miss part of your trip....but next time you should be set...enjoy the ride

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #16 of 16 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
Note to self: Don't break down in Grand Rapids-

I can't believe that they don't put travelers first. All of the dealerships I have worked at went well and beyond for them.
I agree, I was well looked after on the road when needed, the boys went out of their way to get me going. (Ventura BMW)

I have to admit, the whole trip I never worried once about something going wrong. that kinda shit spoils a ride. if it happens it happens....

go travel the ride you have planned..... there are alot more LT's out there that have never had a problem than those that have......

and yes...ANY bike can break down....

2007 K1200LT BLACK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in