So, my dad and I planned out a nice little camping trip; him with his wife on his wing and me with my wife on my LT. Things were going well; despite finding some sand in a campground in Ludinginton and finding out that a top-heavy bike plus sand equals a nap.
We continued on north and were almost all the way up the north end of the Leelanau peninsula of Michigan around the Sleeping Bear Dunes (about the ring finger of the "mitten", for those not familiar); some very beautiful parts of the country. On Wednesday, my wife and I set out from the campsite to go to check out the little town nearby. I noticed, however, that my clutch was feeling very iffy; it was as if there was no clutch there for first gear - it got better with the upshifts.
My LT only has about 12.5K on her, so I couldn't imagine that the clutch was going bad (or even the well-known clutch issue that's discussed on here). However, there was no denying that something was wrong. Once we got into town (only a couple miles away) I started calling dealers; the closest being the one in Grand Rapids. After speaking with their techs a couple of times, it was decided that it might not be the clutch, but rather the drive shaft.
For those of you that don't know (I didn't), apparently, the drive shaft is a two-piece shaft that is bonded together. And, where they meet, it is not metal, but rather a composite, hard, rubber-like material. The head of the service department at GR said that he'd seen it twice, on RTs, but never on an LT.
With almost no options available, I called in to the roadside assistance to get it towed to GR. The towing bill would have been $615 ( ~160 miles), had it not been for that. Of course, with only $500, covered, I was responsible for the rest - still a MUCH better deal than 100%.
My dad helped with logistics and transported my wife to the nearest rental car dealership (about 45 minutes away in Traverse City) while I waited for the tow. It was disheartening to see my baby get hauled away like that.
And now for the really bad news. The dealership in GR is backlogged by two weeks!!! That means that they will not even LOOK at it for two weeks, unless someone cancels their service (pssst! Michigan riders, PLEASE cancel your service!
So, the bike is still in MI and I am back in IN. Once the bike is done, I'll have to make arrangements again to get back to MI to pick her up. However, it will be nice to finish the ride that I started; even if I'll be cheated out of about 160 miles of the journey.