New Throttle Cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:21 am Thread Starter

New Throttle Cable

I ordered a new throttle cable from Chicago BMW back in May. I have not received them and they show to be ordered on their website. Is this normal for them?..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:24 am

Re: New Throttle Cable

Unfortunately, that sounds pretty normal. Give them a call and remind them about the order though, sometimes it helps. It seems that they order the parts and when they come in they sit on the shelf in Chicago for a very long time before they send them out.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:01 am

I ordered mine about that same time. Got 'em in 6 weeks. You better give them a call.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_R
I ordered mine about that same time. Got 'em in 6 weeks. You better give them a call.
Man, even 6 weeks seems long to me, but for Chicago BMW, that seems to be "fast"... I have heard that for a great price you can't beat Chicago BMW, but I won't bite on a deal like that just to save a few bucks.

Sounds like the old mail order deals where you'd wait "6-8 weeks for delivery". Here's what happens; they get your money, put it in their (often interest bearing) account. They wait a few weeks to get your merchandise ordered from their distributor (while your money is sitting in their account, or used elsewhere); merchandise is received by the re-seller a few weeks after that. Invoice from their distributor is due in 30 days.

They used your money to make money elsewhere, and then finally get around to shipping you your goods. It's like an interest-free 3 month loan.

They end up using your cash to make a few extra points, and over the term of a fiscal year (including all mail order or internet customers), probably adds a lot of money to their bottom line.

FWIW - you'll love the new throttle cables!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
They used your money to make money elsewhere, and then finally get around to shipping you your goods. It's like an interest-free 3 month loan.

They end up using your cash to make a few extra points, and over the term of a fiscal year (including all mail order or internet customers), probably adds a lot of money to their bottom line.
That's why they give you a 20% discount
Ask any banker, there is no free money.
If it had been a critical part to get the bike on the road I would have paid the local stealer full price.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:07 pm

How much are you saving. I just bought mine from the local for $130. There were here in 4 days and on the bike 2 days later. I had to install them myself, but I don't think I could save a couple of dollars for a 3 month wait.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Yea....They got me too..... I ordered my throttle cables in June and it took them 7 weeks to get them to me. I figured out really fast that their email apparently doesn't work because they will not email back at all after multiple attempts. Then after calling them after a few weeks of waiting, you get the same old run-arround that they are under-staffed and that they have 400 orders to fill and your order is one of them. They then said that their email is broken and they can not recieve any mail(but somehow they can recieve new internet orders). After multiple calls, they told me the parts were in and they were going to ship them that day. Well guess what- they didn't. I took them 5 more days for them to ship those parts out to me.

So I learned my lesson with those worthless people. So where has Customer Service gone these days? They surely don't have any-
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:07 am Thread Starter

The cost is about $113 but I would have gladly given more to have had the cables while I had the bike stripped. I could have gotten them from the dealer in OKC who has always been prompt and courteous to me. If that's what Chigago BMW thinks of my business, they will not see any more from me. I revisited the site to see if I could cancel the order. I used my credit card and it hasn't been charged as of now.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:17 am

I think I paid between $130-140 at my local dealer, plus sales tax, for my cables and the little installation kit, but the dealer had them in stock.

The parts guy made sure I knew that the handlebar cover had changed with the throttle cable redesign. He said that he could sell me a replacement cover but suggested instead that I cut a hole in the existing cover and save a few bucks. I was aware of that but it was a reminder to me of the benefits of supporting a local dealer that cares about its customers.

Not to say that an internet supplier does not care about its customers but it's easier to build relationships with human beings that you get to know.
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:28 pm

another thing the local guy did for me was took me over to a new bike and asked me to listen to the switch down by the injector rail to make sure I made the adjustment right so cruise would work. Just one more bonus for the local guys.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Thumbs down Re: New Throttle Cable

Does anyone have any good Pictures of the GRIP Modification where the New Cables come into the Right Throttle Grip??????????
My 2003 K1200 LT's Throttle Opening Cable Broke on me at 32,570 Miles and I installed the New Cables but Don't know how to cut and Modify it for the Newely designed Cables.
I complained to the Dealer about the Cables at the 24,000 Mile Service when under the 36 Month Factory Warranty but the Service Manager (that SOB) said they were OK (Damn LIAR).
Now I have an Appointment to have them finish the Repair for me after I did all of the HARD work in Replacing them.
I cut the Grip but it is Still Racing over 3,000 RPM and won't Idle Right.
IF I Forcefully roll the Throttle forward I can get it to come down but it's not RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

I filed a Complaint with BMW North America and they promised to Follow up with the repairing Dealer when the Repair is done and I am "HOPING" that they make good on the Repair that should have been taken care of Two Years ago while Under the Factory Warranty.

I am even willing to Swallow the $120. I had to pay for the New Cables IF I HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Here's a link to an online photo album prepared by a list member that gives you the step by step directions for installing the redesigned throttle cables. Lots of good pictures of the grip end installation. I used these instructions (with some help) to install new cables on my '99.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dtnicks/...bleReplacement
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Re: New Throttle Cable/Chicago

I have ordered many times from Chicago BMW. Based on my past experience I now only order from Chicago when I am thinking of a part that I sorta, maybe, kinda want someday. I mean, sometimes it takes forever.

Otherwise I use Max BMW. Status reports are standard by email. They tell you if the part is coming directly or what the expected delay is. The wait has never seemed too long.
And they include a pack of M&M candies with each shipment.

Bob's BMW has a good shipping reputation too, Max's is just closer to me.

YMMV
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Hi,

Sounds like some nice riding. Continue on safely.

Mariann and I got five dry days out in NYS. Got a gondola ride up Mt. Whiteface, great view. The weather's been better here this week and I've been riding one or the other airhead for several hours each day. I am deeply grateful that you got me started on these great bikes. The Kbikes are a different animal and fun in their own way. But the airheads, and particularly I am lovin the R90S, are just the epitome of simple, functional and classy machines. I might take it to Maine for a couple days.

The K75 problem is a broken vacuum hose, it goes from the top of the engine case up into the airbox. I tried to cobble up a replacement with heater hose but it just has too many bends so I ordered one from AJC. Should have it sometime in the spring of 09.

Take it easy,

Joseph
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:21 am

Yup, ordered an upgrade cable set from Chicago BMW back in November, finally received them in late February. By then bike was assembled and on the road for the season.
Needless to say they sit in a box waiting for this winter

Never again, too slow inspite of the 20%

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #16 of 18 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscompany
Does anyone have any good Pictures of the GRIP Modification where the New Cables come into the Right Throttle Grip??????????
My 2003 K1200 LT's Throttle Opening Cable Broke on me at 32,570 Miles and I installed the New Cables but Don't know how to cut and Modify it for the Newely designed Cables.
There is no modification to the grip, only the cover for the handlebar. Along with the cables you are to get a new "relay" assembly that replaces the attachment points for the cable at the grip. Simple remove the old relay and install the new relay.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Here are the pics I used to do my cables about 2 weeks ago. It is just a dremel tool and 30 seconds and you have a nice hole to pass the cables through. Then if you adjust them to tight it feels like the old ones. I had to adjust mine a couple of times to get the feel I was happy with. This is pretty easily done once it is all back together. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
I took these: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o= from my '02... I believe that the '05s are the same because the replacement handlebar cover was an '05 color....

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 7:06 am Thread Starter

I stopped by the local Honda dealer yesterday (Eddie Hill's Fun Cycles......the top fuel dragster driver) I reserved a BT-020 front tire to be put on next week. As I walked past the new Goldwings I twisted the throttle. Man! That was so smooth and easy! Wish mine was like that!.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in