Thanks, but no thanks - BMW Luxury Touring Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks, but no thanks

After my recent experience with a BMW motorcycle dealership in an attempt to purchase a 1200LT, I've decided to keep my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. The owners of said dealership were rude, arrogant, condescending and insulting. After "negotiating" to within $450.00 of making a deal, I was told that I would have to eat the negative equity on my bike. You never tell a paying customer anything like that. If you want to "adjust" the price of the bike, fine. Don't tell them that they're going to absorb their negative equity. Because they'll do exactly what I did. I got up and said, "Adios, BMW." The owner then had the audacity to tell me that I should save up my money and come back in a month or so to purchase the bike. As if that weren't enough, she added that she would "be there for me." I just laughed and said, "Whatever". It'll be a cold day in Hell before I'll buy a BMW product again (did I mention that I sold my X3?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:27 am

Re: Thanks, but no thanks

Whatever.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:42 am

How close is the next nearest dealership? They're not all bad.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #4 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:15 am

So the dealer was truthful and honest.................and your upset???

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:05 am

Que-est-que-foque is "negative equity"? Is that like, if you owe 10K and are getting 7k on trade, you have to eat the 3k? Makes sense, if that's the case. Binn dare dun dat.
post #6 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:48 am

2 sides to every story. I'm sure you were professional and understood that you were upside down going in... How dare they tell you the truth. And they negotiated the price???? You sure this was a BMW??? Sounds like a great dealer to me!
post #7 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:45 am

So let me get this straight...you KNEW you were upside down on your current bike. And when Gina actually TOLD you so, you got upset, because she was supposed to call an apple an orange? Would it have really made a difference if she had played the shell game with your bottom line?
I bought my bike from there, have had it serviced there, and stop by quite often just to shoot the breeze. Great people and an honest dealer, IMHO.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #8 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:56 am
Human Behaviour Analyst

Total "over share" Greg.
It's not what happens to us in life -- it's how we respond to what happens to us.
Best wishes with the Kawasaki .... we'll miss having you here
post #9 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 1:38 pm

She Probably did you a favor...The people that own BMW'S are all rude and obnocious..were a stuffy group.... and besides it sounds like you cant even afford to get the first 600 mile service..... it sounds like you should go hang with the kool kids with your big bad Kawasaki!

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #10 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 2:02 pm

post #11 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 2:06 pm

Exclamation Re: Thanks, but no thanks

The alternative is: you can always buy a slightly used one from a member of this forum. Check the classified section and you may see something you like at a price you will like even more since the original owner already took a hit on the depreciation.
The LT is a great bike, and so is you Kawi. The choice to change is however up to you!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 4:05 pm

... it's like giving up on your sweetheart, just because the Priest or the Rabbi did a lousy job on the wedding
post #13 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 6:11 pm

So, what was the sales person supposed to do to close the deal?
post #14 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 6:17 pm
Bouncer

Geez, if I had his attitude, I couldn't buy anything cool.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #15 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Whatever .......

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #16 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 6:20 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjvl
So, what was the sales person supposed to do to close the deal?
Even if they did what the OP suggested, and raise the price the same value of the negative equity, he would have posted what a shitbag the dealer was for not dealing.

How dare a dealer try to make a profit selling motorcycles.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #17 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Good for you.

When I went to give the HD dealer a deposit to get on the waiting list for a new HD, they gave me such a hard time, that after years of owning HDs, I told them I'd be back when there was a foot of snow on the ground.

I started shopping for a more comfortable bike for my wife and me, and after going thru some bizzare experiences at Honda dealers, and other places that sold touring bikes, I was relieved to find a dealer insisting I take one for a test ride.

Aside from the deign defects that take out the clutch, rear end, and trunk latch, I'm very glad the HD dealership in conjunction with the HD company, convinced me to buy some other company's product, and that I wound up with my LT. Come to think of it, I should send Honda a note thanking them also.

Hope you get to enjoy your current ride for many years. By then, you might not be upside down in your bike.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm

And posting this usless information on a BMW K1200LT lovers web site makes you fell better

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddygmoney
After my recent experience with a BMW motorcycle dealership in an attempt to purchase a 1200LT, I've decided to keep my Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. The owners of said dealership were rude, arrogant, condescending and insulting. After "negotiating" to within $450.00 of making a deal, I was told that I would have to eat the negative equity on my bike. You never tell a paying customer anything like that. If you want to "adjust" the price of the bike, fine. Don't tell them that they're going to absorb their negative equity. Because they'll do exactly what I did. I got up and said, "Adios, BMW." The owner then had the audacity to tell me that I should save up my money and come back in a month or so to purchase the bike. As if that weren't enough, she added that she would "be there for me." I just laughed and said, "Whatever". It'll be a cold day in Hell before I'll buy a BMW product again (did I mention that I sold my X3?).
post #19 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:14 pm

Dang if you do and dang if you dont. Being in sales there will always be someone you cant make happy. Missed a great bike though. I will say my old 70s Kawi 750 2 stroke was the fastest in the quarter mile. If only it had a 6 disc changer, heated seats and grips, push button center stand, gps, adjust. windshield, cruise control, toured like a cadilac and doubled as a sport bike, I might of kept it.
post #20 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Nice avatar!!!
post #21 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:45 pm

Maybe you caught her at a bad time of the month. Go to another dealership. Give the brand another chance. Don't let one one women be the reason you made such a critical decision in your life.
post #22 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:46 pm

BIGDADDYGMONEY...Hmmm, what's the dealio with the handle?

Truth hurt's eh big boy?? Maybe should read BIGDADDYGOTNOMONEY...

Suck it up soldier.

Git yer toys out of our sandbox...
post #23 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Funny how the OP only has 2 posts and yet has to repond back to this one. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #24 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:55 pm

post #25 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:01 pm

Capital "L" across the forehead.....
post #26 of 77 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:29 pm

As usual I remain confused. Two questions:

1. If you like the LT so much why not just go to another dealer, or buy a good used one as already suggested? And if you're only $450 apart on price...?

2. Did I mis-read your last comment, or did you sell your BMW car because you couldn't get a deal on the BMW bike you wanted? I guess that will show them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #27 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 3:42 am

Man I've seen some trolls before but that one was FUGLY.

Oh and does the bigdaddymoney handle mean you get an allowance from your dad and just how large is he?

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #28 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:59 am

Quote:

bigdaddygmoney....hell w/that moniker why sweat $450........buy a scooter,used, the horsepower is probably more your speed.

Mike
post #29 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:04 am

Quote:
You also might want to update your avatar w/ your ford fiesta pic.
post #30 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:29 am

Don't know what to tell ya, other than, man you are missin' out. No offense but, there is nothing that even comes close to the LT. Sure, everone here may have had an issue at some point in time but, I challege you, go and shop for something comparable to the LT. I'm here to tell you,(IMO), it simply does not exist.
post #31 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Now wait just a cottonpickin' second...I can't believe I'm the first one to post this obvious reply, you guys must all have slippin' clutches...

When referring to the owner of the dealership you say "...she...",

What does she look like?
Wait, that's not important and shallow...

How old is she?
Wait, that is unimportant and irrelevent...

How many different models does she keep on the showroom floor at any given time?

How many service bays does she have?

Please answer these questions as soon as possible, I may have arrangements to make...geez!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #32 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 2:35 pm

I'd rip ya more...but...everybody is 'doin such a good job....there's nothin' left ta say! 'Cept ...see yaa!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #33 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:44 pm
cws

Garage

laughing my way through this thread almost made up for my dismay at Stoner crashing out last night... thanks guys!!! Great way to start a Monday morning at work... (hey ... and a new smiley too!!)

oh... enjoy your Kwaka anyways... pity you won't get to know what you're missing..

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #34 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:49 pm
Bouncer

-
post #35 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Anyone else find it incredibly ironic that he shows his name "bigdaddygmoney" and the software automatically knew he had a junior member? teeheehee (sorry, I like to act 5 years old on occasion)

what an asshat!

(btw, i'm proud of my junior member, we are best friends)
post #36 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
laughing my way through this thread almost made up for my dismay at Stoner crashing out last night... thanks guys!!! Great way to start a Monday morning at work... (hey ... and a new smiley too!!)

oh... enjoy your Kwaka anyways... pity you won't get to know what you're missing..
it is still sunday in the states....the good thing is i guess i have something to laugh at tommorow morning..LOL

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #37 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:08 pm

I want to see that pic of his Ford Fiesta!
post #38 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Me thinks we scared him off....no post since the original...

See ya... wouldn't want to be ya!

Last edited by RTTommy; Aug 17th, 2008 at 10:31 pm.
post #39 of 77 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yair1956
... it's like giving up on your sweetheart, just because the Priest or the Rabbi did a lousy job on the wedding
hey...can you do that???? i've been married for all these years and now you say i can give up because the priest did a crappy job.... wish i had known this sooner...
post #40 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:48 am

My Two Cents:

First, if you need to come up with some money to buy something, getting pissed at the person who tells you that is absurd. This guy needs to get a grip.

That being said:

I have been in the car business for over 30 years. If we ran our car dealerships like BMW and Harley we would be out of business. My experience with most motorcycle shops is that they just don't get it. When I bought my Harley in 2006 I had to call the place several times. I never received a call back from them. They actually said, if you don't buy it someone else will.

My first time at a BMW store I couldn't even get the salesmanís attention and I was standing right there. I finally left and gave him my name and number and told him I wanted the new LT in the showroom. I never heard from him. I then went back in and saw a 2005 LT that I was interested and informed the same guy I would like to buy it. He said it was being held until tomorrow on a deal they had. If it didnít sell they would call me. Two weeks later I went back figuring they sold it. There it was "for sale" and I never got a call. I ended up buying the LT from a private party because the dealer simply did not want to sell me one..

With the exception of the Jap bike dealers I have never had a single positive experience with BMW or HD. This a management problem at these stores. They loose sales every month because the people they have working form them should not be there. They should be at the DMV with the rest of the miserable people. Frankly I would and have let sales people go for not following up and keeping promises. Again, these guys just donít get it.

Last edited by tonygret; Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:56 am.
post #41 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Geez, with all this dealer bashing, I think it's time to say something positive. I deal with Wolf BMW in London Ontario, run by Christine and Ian McQueen. Ian handles service, Chris the sales, they have a parts expert named Brian. Thay are unfailingly polite and easy to deal with. Chris went the extra mile to arrange a deal for me on my '05, and I am very happy with my purchase. Unlike some local dealers that have the bikes in the same dealership as BMW cars, Wolf sells bikes and only bikes, and only BMW bikes. They are both riders, and can give good advice about all aspects of the hobby, such as getting the right riding wear. I'm sure there are bad dealers out these, since one of them tried to hose me on a used machine, but Wolf BMW is one of the good ones!

PS.. I am not related to anyone there, and had never met them before I started shopping for a new bike, and found them via the internet.

2005 K1200LT
1980 Kaw KZ1300
post #42 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Whatever.

Kevin
Thank you for your meaningless and shallow reply.
post #43 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
How close is the next nearest dealership? They're not all bad.
I hope not.
post #44 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
So the dealer was truthful and honest.................and your upset???
Try reading the ENTIRE post next time.
post #45 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
2 sides to every story. I'm sure you were professional and understood that you were upside down going in... How dare they tell you the truth. And they negotiated the price???? You sure this was a BMW??? Sounds like a great dealer to me!
I never said that they negotiated the price. I went so far as to make them a straight cash offer. They "thought" they could knock $500 off MSRP.

May I humbly apologize for daring to enter the hallowed bastion of BMW?
post #46 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin
So let me get this straight...you KNEW you were upside down on your current bike. And when Gina actually TOLD you so, you got upset, because she was supposed to call an apple an orange? Would it have really made a difference if she had played the shell game with your bottom line?
I bought my bike from there, have had it serviced there, and stop by quite often just to shoot the breeze. Great people and an honest dealer, IMHO.
Key phrase: your opinion. And, no, I didn't know I was upside down on my bike. Know what you're talking about before you accuse somebody of being dishonest.
post #47 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Yo..G Money

6 posts and all bashing..great way to make friends. Good luck in whatever makes you happy.

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #48 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Total "over share" Greg.
It's not what happens to us in life -- it's how we respond to what happens to us.
Best wishes with the Kawasaki .... we'll miss having you here
Your opinion of me and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's.
post #49 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
She Probably did you a favor...The people that own BMW'S are all rude and obnocious..were a stuffy group.... and besides it sounds like you cant even afford to get the first 600 mile service..... it sounds like you should go hang with the kool kids with your big bad Kawasaki!
Well, you just proved me right.
post #50 of 77 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTommy

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in