Pinstriping my LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Pinstriping my LT

A previous pinstriping thread has gotten me thinking this is something I would like on my bike.
I found a place local that can do it. Here is a link to his site. He did state he only hand paints, no vinyls. He also quoted me ballpark around $300 for a bike with 2 colors. Is this the going rate on something like this? By looking at his site he looks like he knows what he's doing. He'll even do it at my house if I can heat up the garage and provide good lighting.
I'm not sure what designs I'm looking to get. Any ideas or photos would be appreciated.
Thanks for any input.
Ed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:00 pm

Garage
Can some other LT owners post their pics to see the various designs? That may help.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:29 am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
A previous pinstriping thread has gotten me thinking this is something I would like on my bike.
I found a place local that can do it. Here is a link to his site. He did state he only hand paints, no vinyls. He also quoted me ballpark around $300 for a bike with 2 colors. Is this the going rate on something like this? By looking at his site he looks like he knows what he's doing. He'll even do it at my house if I can heat up the garage and provide good lighting.
I'm not sure what designs I'm looking to get. Any ideas or photos would be appreciated.
Thanks for any input.
Ed

Perhaps some accent pinstriping that's it. Graphics take away from the inherent beauty of the bike. JMO.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Perhaps some accent pinstriping that's it. Graphics take away from the inherent beauty of the bike. JMO.
Justmake sure you choose the right colors, a good pinstriper will help with that decision, do not get gawdy with it and it will look great, I've seen a couple that really looked nice accented correctly.

Good luck!

I wonder if I could get my Pinstriper friend to come up from FL to CCR?

he's good real good!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:50 am

Pete,
Get on the computer and play with some ideas...you never know what you can come up with. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinstripe.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1382  
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:01 am

Pinstriping

I did my own with pinstriping tap. I have the 2005 Blue, which I did not want to much striping. This might give you an idea. I do not have the best pictures that show it real good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020003.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1383   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020004.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1384   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020005.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1385  
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:27 am

Smile

I am a "flame" freak so I had Scarecrow pinstripe BMW blue and white flames on my fender and saddlebags, as well as the back of the trunk lid.

I'll post a few showing him doing the bike, then tomorrow (Tuesday) when it stops puring rain I can shoot the whole completed job.

I may have him "tone" the blue down a bit this year, or not. My wife likes it a lot, I think it may be a bit bright, but I'll see by April when he comes back east.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0057.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	1387   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	1388   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	1389  
post #8 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:47 am

Garage
That is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT T!

I hope it stops raining to some more pics!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #9 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Why not vinyl? Virtually all the automotive graphics you see are vinyl even factory ones. Easy to install, moderately goof proof, removable. No need to clear coat. Many colors and styles from suppliers such as Universal Products http://www.u-p.com/S_G.html DIY for about $15 a roll. And if you want flames, etc. there it is.

No affiliation with above. I wouldn't pin strip my LT, but I am going to reproduce the stripes on my old Kaw after I repaint it.

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:35 am

Vinyl

Here is another place that has vinyl. Advantage to vinyl is when you sell your bike the person that purchases it my not like the pinstriping and it can be removed real easy. www.decalzone.com/index.php.
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

The biggest problem with vinyl pinstriping is they say they start coming apart in as little as 2 years, especially in this area where the temps vary greatly. I guess the constant expansion/contraction wears them out.
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 1:04 pm

I'd leave it alone

Hey Gene, That looks really good. I think I'd leave it alone. JM2CW.

Happy New Day!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 4:56 pm
Some guy on the Interwebs

Here's some pics for ya'..... and a story....

I met this pinstriper standing in the beer line at a Harley type event. We got to talking....

A few beers later, I had this:

So far, so good. He matched the blue in the Roundel, and the silver of the lowers. But, many, many beers later I had all this:

I ended up taking it all off except for the side striping. Acetone is your friend... Didn't hurt the paint at all.

Hal
Lodi, California

If you aren't good for anything else, you can always serve as a bad example.

HDDC Posse

post #14 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 7:00 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
Thanks for any input.
Ed

We have almost the same identical bike except I have the grey seats. I thought of a silver / pewter color for a "thin line" penstripe. It would be VERY little though. I want mine to not be visible untile close up. I think this bike would look too gaudy with heavy or 2 line penstripe.

Just my 2 cents....

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:33 pm

Ed .... I would agree with what most have already posted. I have had most all of my bikes striped but I believe LESS is more. I only want a little accent to personalize my ride and make it different than every other bike out there. Kerry Buckley does nice work. He has been at Americade now for a few years. Most all of the guys who are at Americade do nice work. Each one, much like any artist, has his or her own distinct style. Most guys charge about $250 for an entire Wing or LT with whatever you like in 2 colors. Not all of them will do small jobs though. If it were me I would try and make it to Americade in June as I see you are in NJ. Once there walk around the large parking lots and look are the other bikes and photo what you like. Then hit the Tour Expo and look at each striper's books and watch them work. The only 2 guys I let touch my bikes are Mountain Man or TJ. Mountain Man is in the expo area and TJ is set up in Warrensburg. Both of these guys will do as little or much as you like. Remember you can always add later. I hope this helps.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:23 am

Thumbs down need to pinstrip

Need to Pinstrip BUY A GOLD WING

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in