Self service/ warranty q - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Self service/ warranty q

A follow up q to a previous question I had. OK, so the ABS bleed test is supposed to be some procedure to make sure there is no air in the system. That's what the dealer stated. So, it would seem to me that this test is to ensure adequate performance and as others have said, I see no reason to monkey with it until/ unless the brake system fluid reservoirs are opened or the brakes are flushed.

Also, it would seem to me that not doing it could not be the casue of a failure, realistically, and therefore if I don't have it done until such time as I have the brakes bled, I should have no problems with any warranty issues concerning the brakes.. should there be any issues.

On my 6k svce, I saw no reason to open any brake fluid reservoirs and, of course, it is not time to flush.

So, what are your thoughts on the warranty question?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:27 pm

Re: Self service/ warranty q

at the very least I would make sure that the abs is flushed with new fluid once a year.. whether you do it, or have the dealer do it, dont put it off.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

of course on the flush at appropriate time. My question, or statement, is if I don't do the "bleed" test every 6k as the maintenance form suggests, there should be no way the lack of that "test" could cause a failure, therefore I should have no warranty issues should the brakes have a warranty issue. Does that sound right or am I missing something?

In any case, has anyone had a brake system (ABS) warranty issue? Probably very few, if any.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:30 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have done four full flushes on my 05 and have never had the test done. I would say the risk is low given the track record of this brake system. Just don't skip the flush when it is time. Annual on the wheel circuit and every two years on the control (the BMW bikes with the SS lines have been extended to four years but that does not include the LT). Believe me the fluid will be black.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John. I trust your experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in