Thinking about an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Thinking about an LT

I have always liked the look and what I have heard about the LT. Didn't buy one in 05 due to the cost, but an in a position to most likely buy one around October.

Haven't ridden one either.

Am looking for the pros and cons from current LT owners.

I currently have a 05 Yamaha Royal Star Venture touring bike. I like the bike, but find it to piggish at slower (parking lot speeds). It is a heavy beast but is a solid bike.I have taken it on 5k plus rides and have had no problems with it.

I am about 5-9 and wonder if the Lt might be a bit tall in the inseam for me.

Anyone with an LT with a cb/gps or any of the other goodies on it if you can give me thoughts on which nav system etc.

Any help in broadening my information level would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Re: Thinking about an LT

Well, if you do a search on buying an LT you'll get lots of information. SO much more than I can post in one message. I'd rather be buying one myself than selling one, but it looks like I'll be selling my '06 shortly to help with some medical bills and basic financial issues resulting from my kidney transplant. <sigh>

But what I can tell you is that the LT is a real touring motorcycle, but at speed you may be surprised by how well it handles. It has a small ground clearance (3.5") and much less of a lean angle than most bare motorcycles. The RT by comparision (my other motorcycle) has a 4.5" clearance, but leans way more than the LT before metal grinds on the road.

The later models ('05 and up) have more horsepower, powered center stand, different intercom (Voice II), slightly different front end rake for better manuverability, a different dash layout, almost nothing in the toolkit - so plan on making your own, and possibily a few other items. Otherwise, they are all pretty similar in capabilities and looks.

I've been very happy with my LT. It is less top heavy than my previous motorcycle - A '02 Concours. But at slow speed there are definitly handlng issues. None you can't get used to. None that you can't learn to avoid (like using the front brake at speeds less than 5 ~ 10 mph - better to use rear only at really slow speeds).

Inseam issues do seem to be a problem for some. That's more important that actual height. I'm 5' 11" and have had no problems keeping both feet flat on the ground. I have a 31" inseam. You can lower the motorcycle with a lowered seat and/or lowered shocks. If that's a real problem. I've seen many posts from people with 29" inseams that manage well enough.

I'd personally suggest stopping by a BMW dealer and getting that test ride. That will tell you a lot about the LT. More than you can by reading about it. I suspect that like me, you will be grinning form ear to ear when you finally get off it. And if you decide you really want one, mine will most likely be up for sale in the very short future at a very good price.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:57 am

I bought my 03 LTE while I still had my 05 Midnight Venture. The LT is an awesome ride compared to the Venture. The Venture is extremely heavy and cumbersome 2up with 6 gallons of gas above your waist. I loved it though. I did an Ironbutt to Arizona on it and I rode it to northern Wisconsin. I put 38K on the bike in 18 months and got loads of compliments on it. It never missed a lick. The wife loved it, too.
Now she loves the LT and so do I. It's a TOTALLY different ride. I feels like a cross between a crotch rocket and a Goldwing. The ABS brakes are awesome and it's a lot of fun to ride. It's heavy but it's not "piggish" like the Venture. It's easier to push around with the dry clutch. It's also less weight to pull up off the side stand. It handles better at high speeds and it doesn't "swim" in the curves like the Venture did. It's easier to clean and gets better fuel mileage and it's fuel injected. It's cooler than the Venture, no heat from the engine.
If you can't work on the bike yourself, I'd say get a good aftermarket warranty. Maintainence is a hassle sometimes because of all the tupperware you have to pull to get to anything. I loved my Venture but I wouldn't go back to it. The LT is just too much fun. You can probably find one here if you look around and get a good deal, too. I don't regret buying mine.
I hope this helped you. Chances are you can go to a dealer and have a test ride. I bought mine without riding it. I just sat on one at the International Motorcycle Show in Ft. Worth. I ride it every day and I love it..........Good luck in whatever you decide........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 7:59 am

By the way, I'm 6' 210# and have a 34" inseam. I can flatfoot the bike. It's a little higher than the Venture but works for me..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the information and comparison. I know what your are talking about regarding the Venture. I will continue my quest. Will most likely be after October when the raise is supposed to hit. I have the feelers out for interest in my bike on the Venturerider.org site.
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:33 pm

I just sold my 2002 1150RT and bought an 02 LT with 17k on the clock. The first weekend I had it I put over 600 miles on it, (Scranton to near Pittsburgh and back). This thing is great. I thought that I liked the RT until I took my friend's LT for a ride and I knew I was hooked. I do a lot of semi-long distance day/weekend rides and knew that this was what I was looking for.

I'm 6'0 and have no trouble with the height of the bike, but it doesn't allow for mistakes at slow speeds, especially if the ground isn't perfect. The bike runs great at highway speeds and still is fun on two lane roads.

I was a little concerned about some of the mechanical issues, but as one person stated in another post, buy and ride it.

Good luck.
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 9:42 am

I am 5' 8", with a 29" inseam. I have no problem flat footing the LT and as everyone has said, it is a truly amazing machine. There is a low and high seat setting. Mine is on then low setting. Despite the numerous discussions about mechanical issue and the LT, I have racked up over 50 K miles in 2 seasons without so much as a dollar spent on repairs. Tires and fluids is the extent of what I have had to spend on my bike.

I particularly enjoy long distance touring. The LT is a mileage monster. Set it on cruise, point it to the horizon, and go like the wind. As you have read, it is a bit top heavy but with practice, you can overcome this characteristic of the bike.

Riding the LT, with the stock saddle, for 12 hours a day, is a testament to the design of this bike, in my humble opinion.

I urge you to get to your local BMW dealer. Last week I was allowed to take an RT out for the day, no questions asked. I was even told that it was not necessary to have refueled the bike, even though I did.

In the big bike, luxo tourer class, you could do a whole lot worse.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in