Bummed, may have to sell my LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Bummed, may have to sell my LT

Do to my current medical needs (Kidney Transplant Recipient) and associated medical bills, I may need to sell my '06 LT. I'm kind of bummed, but if I do sell it I'm assured by my wife that I'll be able to buy another one some time in the future.

This idea was sparked by a request from one of my local BMW dealers on a buy back program. If I go that route, I know I will not recover what I paid in to it, but at a minimum it will cover the existing loan and I'll get a few bucks back too.

I think I will check with the dealer to see what they will offer, but may wind up putting it up for sale locally, through the forum, eBay, etc. as a possible alternative. I'm just not sure what teh best way to go may be as the loan is currently held by BMW Financial and they'd need to be paid off before the title could be obtained.

Of course if I do sell it to the dealer, I doubt if he'll give me anything for the farkles on it. If so, that means I'll probably remove them and sell them here. In fact, I guess I should consider removing them before seeing the dealer about the buy back program.

Ah well, the good news is at least I'll have my RT. Even if it is an older mdoel and only good for short trips. I don't think I could ride it much more than 4 hours a day.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Re: Bummed, may have to sell my LT

Who gives a sh** about the LT? It's just a thing. Get the old kidneys working right, and go from there!

My SO's chemo treatments set us back many multiple tens of thousands of dollars (yes, we have health insurance) years ago. Every once in a while, we'll think, "Gee, what could we have done with that money?"

I don't give a crap about the money; my wife is fully recovered! We've gotten back plenty of good living now.

Arthur, get your health back, and then it'll all fall into place - trust me on that one!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Arthur, get your health back, and then it'll all fall into place - trust me on that one!
That is the plan! And thanks for the encouraging words. It's good to hear someone else has been there and done that. As it stands, I have received the transplant and things are going well at the moment. I was hospitalized once after a rejection issue (caught early enough that no real damage occured) due to my tolerance for anti-rejection and immunity suppression (seems my immune system is way better than average) medications.

Really glad to hear your wife is OK. Chemo is tough to deal with. Much tougher than the chemistry issues associated with kidney failure. Even there I was more fortunate than most as I tolerated the chemistry changes and medications better than most and had minor (relatively) issues.

I also have health care, but even so there are always new medical bills, co-payments, or whatnot that just keep popping up. So, I'm afraid the LT has to go. Main reason I get to keep the RT is that it has no loan or outstanding balance. So no monthly fees other than gas. And it gets better gas milage than my car (Ford Escape Hybrid).

What bums me out the most about selling the LT is I/we (really) bought it so my wife and I could use my new found freedom from dialysis to spend more time together (travelling and see some of the countryside). I suspect that means we will have to put it off for another year or so.

Local (day) trips on the RT should be doable though, so I guess we'll make out OK. And on a positive note, the new LT's may be available when I have an opportunity to purchase once again. Or I may get a heck of a deal on a used one. Now that I've had a transplant, I could even buy one out of state (like from a board member) and fly out and ride it back. Soemthing I couldn't do previously.

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Arthur, its true all physical things are hard to let go of, but if your not around, as we all want you to be, so we can shake your hand, regardless of your ride, man, that means the world.

After a good long talk with an Oregon dealer (family up there), it may seam the 2010 LT's and beyond may just take on that new design thats been lerking in the wings. Perhaps something to look forward too?

But for now, know were all here for you, and don't hesitate to ask for any help you may need during your now time, and recovery time.

Hallzee is close. I'm close here in Long Beach, and boy.... your just a ride away.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Hey Art,

Glad to hear you are concentrating on your health and getting back on your feet! hallzee is right about the fact that nothing else matters if you do not have your health!

I believe you bought your 06 at about the same time I did and have been following your posts as you passionatly describe your bike.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Best regards...

Mauro

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:22 pm

Art.. I know it is a looong way from California to Austin, TX, but if you NEED to ride, you can borrow Misty..

Get well, Sir...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for the kind words and offers (cfell, you never know I might take you up on it). Currently, I am doing well. What I didn't know about the transplant process is that after the transplant there is a 6 ~ 9 month recovery period to get the medications working just right and that there can be some serious issues in that area.

From what I have gleaned since, I've been lucky. Really lucky. I've only had one serious issue with rejection and only one period of signficant discomfort (about 3 weeks of abdominal cramps when my white cell count got so low form the medications that I thought I was due for another hospital trip). And on average, I only get my blood drawn once a week and see my doctor once a week for consultation. Some people go for blood tests 2~3 times and multiple vists. That really eats in to the workability (i.e. ability to make money).

I'm self-employeed as a computer consultant and have two clients that have stood by me so I have been able to continue to work, but at only about half of my normal salary. I need to be retrained and recertified now that I am off dialysis and get back in to the job market.

So, I do consider myself pretty lucky. And I don't plan to leave the forum as I'll want to keep up with the current and future LT's and opportunities. What may be the strangest tidbit in this whole process is that my wife and I are heading out Saturday for a three day outing to Palm Springs, Big Bear, and the surroudning area. We planned it for a while and cashed in various points we had accumulated for free hotel & gas. So, this might be the last time we ride together on this LT, but hopefully not the last ride on any LT.

post #8 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Sale your LT, this is only material and get yourself back in shape at all prices. When all this s#$t is behind you get yourself the latest LT and take your wife for the trip of your life to celebrate.
Wish you the best
Alain
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 6:52 am

Before you go the dealer route, list your bike on Craig's List.
It is free.

I recently sold my MR2 Spyder, I place an 84.00 ad in Trader and three Craiag's List for the major cities near me.
I sold the car in two weeks. All of my inquiries came from Craig's list.
I did not get one hit from Trader and I lost that money.

Long story short, list the bike for a couple of weeks, maybe you will get more money than the stealership will give you.

Get to feeling better soon. You are in my prayers.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 7:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
Do to my current medical needs (Kidney Transplant Recipient) and associated medical bills, I may need to sell my '06 LT. I'm kind of bummed, but if I

awesome you have a kidney! that is great!

dont worry about the bike or anything else,

I've been there done that, accident related though, had to get rid of a bunch of stuff and no income for years it was tough, but we made it and made it through just fine, you will too!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 3:20 pm

While it's not the most pleasant thought (Selling the LT) it could be a blessing in disguise. I sure pray that everything works out and that you'll be back up and ridin in short order.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #12 of 14 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 4:39 pm

1. sell the LT
2. get well
3. teach that new kidney who's the boss and be the first in line for the 1800 cc, six cylinder, faster than a hyabusa and guaranteed to get a slap on the back of the helmet from So. LT
But, most of all (MOST OF ALL) get well.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #13 of 14 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for the good wishes. I spoke with my SO again about it. Looks like my LT will go up for sale after I get back from our weekend trip. Guess it'll be our "LT" farewall trip.

I'll still have my RT (hopefully I'll be able to keep it anyway - we'll have to wait and see in the long run) and should be able to recover some of the down payment I put on the LT when I sell it and that should help as well.

Only real issue I guess I have with selling it then is how to work with BMW Finanacial regarding the title. I guess I'll need to contact them to see how the payoff should be preocessed. I assume I'll need the new buyer to get a cashier's check or similar item in BMW's name (not my own) to pay off the loan, transfer the title, and send me any refund due.

post #14 of 14 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Good luck in your recovery, Art.

If the buyer has cash in hand, he will send the check to BMW Fin. They will forward the title to him proceeds to you.

If the buyer is financing the purchase, his finance company will pay off the balance with BMW. BMW will forward them the title and proceeds to you.

It's pretty painless, actually. The banks handle the details.

Once again, good luck while healing and getting things back to normal.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in