Highway Lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Question Highway Lights

Getting darker every day now in Northern Illinois. Started with the light just the other way around but when I'm riding to work now in the wee hours I experienced a blind spot about 60 feet in front. I'd like some more light farther ahead because I know the roadkill number will be going up soon. The adjustment is all the way up. I have a pair of lights(not PIAA) but what I'm looking for is a picture of how these are to look[without looking ugly]. Got any good suggestions? I saw an LT in the Cycle Werks of Barrington with the lights mounted to the tabs on the lower fork tubes but hopefully there is a less conspicuous spot to put them. Thanks _K_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Re: Highway Lights

hawk,

I put CQlight HD bulbs in the high and low lamp. Huge difference. Not to much money for what you get.

I also mounted some 55w driving lights under the faring. Looks good but does not put out that much light.

Hope this helps,
Dale
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 10:06 pm

My '06 included a HID low beam. I recently (last weekend) upgraded the high beam too. Nothing (no auxillary light) will work better than your stock light converted to HID for day/night driving. Auxillary lights will help to fill out blind spots, but if they are not HID or 200 watt halogens you are not really doing much for yourself.

I used the SCMR16 HID auxillary lights on my RT (also converted to HID main bulb) and it fills in the blanks spots really well. I highly recommend the TT HID lights for auxillary lights. They also make a 4" model in 30 & 40 watt HID. I guarentee the 40 watt 4" model will light up the road well enough to see any potential roadkill in your way!

But, just as an FYI, best bang for the buck is a High/Low beam kit from WME.Com. Should cost about $80 ~ $100 for both delivered to your door. My H11 (high beam) was a plug and play installtion. Didn't cut a single wire.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
But, just as an FYI, best bang for the buck is a High/Low beam kit from WME.Com. Should cost about $80 ~ $100 for both delivered to your door. My H11 (high beam) was a plug and play installtion. Didn't cut a single wire.

Arthur:

When I plug in WME.com I get "World Mining Equipment" which just seems to list other companies in that field??? No listing of HID lights.

John

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:52 am

Sorry, I guess that is a typo on my part. Try ...

http://www.vvme.com/

Two v's not one w.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 11:22 am

I have a 2002 LT. I purchased the PIAA kit with the brackets, harness and lighst. The Light brackets bolt under the front fairing. The lights are tucked up under the fairing and look great. When driving at night or on a two lane highway they really help. At night they are very bright so you have to make sure they are adjusted correctly or they will blind oncoming traffic.

My wife was in front of me when I turned them on one night and she could have swore that there was an aircraft landing behind her. He he.

I sware by them for safety. I would highly recommend them. About 292.00 for the kit as I remember.

Al
SPokane WA
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 12:27 pm

Just posted this up within the lighting section .....
Major night vision when used along with my HID Low beam

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39314

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Thumbs up Re: Highway Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokane1200lt
I have a 2002 LT. I purchased the PIAA kit with the brackets, harness and lighst. The Light brackets bolt under the front fairing. The lights are tucked up under the fairing and look great. When driving at night or on a two lane highway they really help. At night they are very bright so you have to make sure they are adjusted correctly or they will blind oncoming traffic.

My wife was in front of me when I turned them on one night and she could have swore that there was an aircraft landing behind her. He he.

I sware by them for safety. I would highly recommend them. About 292.00 for the kit as I remember.

Al
SPokane WA
++++1 on the PIAA light set. I even see the deer before they get in the road in front of me. Very bright! I have them on in daytime as well. I've been told that I look like a freight train coming! Gotta be seen!

Just my .02's worth.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 8:01 pm
Gold Supporter

HID high and low beam, PIAA inside the cowling and Motolights on the brake calipers. I saw EVERYTHING in front of me for a LOOOOOONG ways off.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #10 of 10 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 8:30 pm

Pictyre taken on the Dragon. They are Hella oval driving lights.

DON
Attached Images
File Type: bmp don1.bmp (703.2 KB, 167 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in