Recovery or loose screws? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Recovery or loose screws?

This time las year I was laying in bed recovering after being T-Boned by a horned rat on 12-18-04. My two week old 05' LT was totaled and I felt like shit. A month later I'm up and around, broken bones healing fast, head injury healing slowww. The B.S. with the insurance company is over and I order a new 05' with the same everything as the first one.
During my down time it was this forum that kept my riding spirit alive. While not a frequent poster, I am a regular lurker and everyone on this site helped to speed my recovery. I was back in the saddle in Feb and have been riding all year and feeling fine.
To end the year I rode from my home in Port Orange FL to the Stagecoach 500 Rally in Stockton Al on 12-30-05. After having lunch at the Stagecoach Cafe' I rode to Lafayette LA and then home to FL. Documented a BBG in 22 hrs. and felt great. So what is it? A full recovery? Or as my wife and some of my friends are saying, I still have a few loose screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:20 pm

Great to see you up and back in the saddle mate!
Don't worry about what your friends say...they obviously don't own a LT!

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
------ So what is it? A full recovery? Or as my wife and some of my friends are saying, I still have a few loose screws.
Full recovery! I got back on an LT after two bad accidents, would love to again after the third. If the wife ever lets me, I will have another one.

The first two were full recovery, guess this third time is more loose screws, or at least that is what everyone tells me.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:46 pm

Talking

Geez...........if you guys have screws missing then I'm missing a few bolts!
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:50 pm

Thumbs up

I'ld say you have a few loose screws Chuck!

Seriously, I am glad to hear you have recovered and been able to get back in the saddle. It's hard to explain to others what riding does for the soul.

Take care and keep the wheels turning!
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:27 am

What a way of life. I am like you as well. My wife and I played tag with an 18-wheeler on a HD ultra classic @ 70mph. He won. nine months in a wheelchair and hospital bed. Long story short, three years later I picked up a VW Trike. Two years later (just over two weeks ago) I picked up a 2002 K1200LTC. Still walk with a limp but I walk.
Do people think I am crazy? You bet. Do the other people that ride (all brands) think I am crazy? Not at all. Most say it's about time.

Good luck and many happy miles to you.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 9:18 pm

One man's loose screw is another man's recovery.

Perseverance is always a bonus :up:

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:01 am

I am glad you are back in the saddle again! If having some loose screws was a bad thing then we would all be in trouble! Have fun!
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:13 am

Quote:
This time las year I was laying in bed recovering after being T-Boned by a horned rat on 12-18-04. My two week old 05' LT was totaled and I felt like shit. A month later I'm up and around, broken bones healing fast, head injury healing slowww. The B.S. with the insurance company is over and I order a new 05' with the same everything as the first one.
During my down time it was this forum that kept my riding spirit alive. While not a frequent poster, I am a regular lurker and everyone on this site helped to speed my recovery. I was back in the saddle in Feb and have been riding all year and feeling fine.
To end the year I rode from my home in Port Orange FL to the Stagecoach 500 Rally in Stockton Al on 12-30-05. After having lunch at the Stagecoach Cafe' I rode to Lafayette LA and then home to FL. Documented a BBG in 22 hrs. and felt great. So what is it? A full recovery? Or as my wife and some of my friends are saying, I still have a few loose screws.

Ahh I wanted to go to the Stagecoach Cafe, but was feeling under the weather pretty badly. dang flue bug or some crap

I'd say a full recovering is what you have and now hooked!

Like you I got gratification off a mailing list (actually a newsgroup RMH) after my accident which put me down for almost three years, I've met many a fine man women and child from that list and have created some life long true friendships as well from that list. None knew me on that list when I joined it after my accident, I lurked for a long while until I could type again, my first ride out of town was to meet those from that list.

Sounds to me like you have graduated to becoming
a "real" Biker, one that has the love of motorcycling and won't give it up. May your roads be safe your journey's be fulfilling and the friends you make from them be life long.

hope to meet you on the road sometime

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Last edited by tmgs; Jan 3rd, 2006 at 9:21 am.
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
Geez...........if you guys have screws missing then I'm missing a few bolts!
I was lucky! they added some bolts and rods!

<g>

Tom

Tom

post #11 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
What a way of life. I am like you as well. My wife and I played tag with an 18-wheeler on a HD ultra classic @ 70mph. He won. nine months in a wheelchair and hospital bed. Long story short, three years later I picked up a VW Trike. Two years later (just over two weeks ago) I picked up a 2002 K1200LTC. Still walk with a limp but I walk.
Do people think I am crazy? You bet. Do the other people that ride (all brands) think I am crazy? Not at all. Most say it's about time.

Good luck and many happy miles to you.
Sounds like afew of us hace had a bad one and still ride

Congrats, it sucks deing down for so long and in a wheel chair,
Yes some folks think we are nuts, some folks know we are nuts, then again some folks "get it".

Tom

Tom

post #12 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:16 am

Quote:
it sucks deing down for so long and in a wheel chair
I did get pretty good at "popping wheelies" in the chair. I would sit outside in the driveway just on the back two wheelies for long periods of time and just watch the folks drive down our street. I guess the two wheelies are in the blood.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I did get pretty good at "popping wheelies" in the chair. I would sit outside in the driveway just on the back two wheelies for long periods of time and just watch the folks drive down our street. I guess the two wheelies are in the blood.

I got real good at going backwards, untill my arms were able to be used, the problem with going backwards and only being able to control the "chair" with one broken foot was stopping, a friend made a nice ramp all to correct handi cap specs for me, well going down hill backwards with one foot that was screwed up and the other not working at all, was less than interesting. Funny but less than interesting I ended up getting stuck at the bottom right off the edge of the drive and sat and waited till someone came home <g>.

another time (still in the Rehab center) the So brought up the dogs to visit, well dummy me put the leash over my casted up arm, (the dog was very well trained, I was not worried) well he was a little excited to see me and was a little rowdy, so not thinking I told him to heel, well he was trained to heel to the left of me NOW!.
He did - wraped the leash around the side of the chair and spun me around like a top, blam I hit the ground.
130 lb Rottie can do that real quick! <grin>

Tom

Tom

post #14 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 3:22 pm

I spent a year and a half on crutches, through several surgeries being pinned and rodded. The first time I got out of the hospital the Dr. told me not to drive. I showed up at my first appointment with a steel plate duct taped to my cast... so I could shift. If only I had a camera to get a pic of his face when explained. He got a leetle clearer on his instructions after that, though I've never been one to march in line.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 3:39 pm

Loose screws are ok, it's the extra ones you find left over and don't know where they go - those are the ones you need to worry about.

A few years back I ran into a rather large (150lbs) dog that caused a temporary inverse in my gravitational field and broke 5 of my ribs. Two weeks later I borrowed a friends Concours to go on a 600+ mile Gypsy tour, it only hurt when hit a bump but it was the best therapy.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

John posted "A few years back I ran into a rather large (150lbs) dog that caused a temporary inverse in my gravitational field and broke 5 of my ribs. Two weeks later I borrowed a friends Concours to go on a 600+ mile Gypsy tour, it only hurt when hit a bump but it was the best therapy."

Ahhh yes. Recovered or not if we are up and riding life is great.
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 5:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I spent a year and a half on crutches, through several surgeries being pinned and rodded. The first time I got out of the hospital the Dr. told me not to drive. I showed up at my first appointment with a steel plate duct taped to my cast... so I could shift. If only I had a camera to get a pic of his face when explained. He got a leetle clearer on his instructions after that, though I've never been one to march in line.

This is a long story but I'll make it short, some time aftter my first surgery, several visits falling and brakeing the leg so loose it would wiggle back and forth on the rod through it...........

Ok I'll still in the wheel chair at this time, a long time friend had lost a leg, that once had a rod in it, they gave him his rod back another friend had made a coffin as a gag and he kept this rod in it on his TV, one day my driver stopped by his place on my way to see my doc, I borrowed that rod.
in the docs office I sat patienly and waited (about 1 minute <g>), anyhow the doc walks in the office and I tell him something is loose in my leg, he bebds down to take a closer look at my leg, I shake it with my arm and this rod falls out on the floor! that would have been a funny pic of that docs face when he saw that rod. he craked up after a second walked out of the office showing everyone the rod that fell out of my leg

Yes we can truly be rotten <g>

Tom

Tom

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 5:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
LOL! Nice one, Tom. Remind me to stay on your good side.

The worst I've ever had in 25+ years of biking is a bit of road rash from wearing jeans and no gloves (Vicodin good), and a cracked/bruised rib from totaling my '99 LT in the UK. The doctors didn't bother to x-ray, because the treatment is the same: try not to move or laugh, and here's more Vicodin. Did I mention that we were in the middle of an international move, plus putting on an all-day feast for a hundred people in a local castle?

I can't imagine going through what some of you have, and I truly respect your need to get back on the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:33 am

Man Tom, that was funny.

CharlieG, the next time someone asks you why you would want to get back on that God forsaken two wheeled beast, you look-em in the eye, clinch your teeth and say in a raspy voice, "because I can"!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #20 of 21 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Sounds like a full recovery to me! As for the loose screws, don't we all have a few? Congratulations on the BBG.

By the way, I'm in Ormond most of the time now watchin' the remodel of the house. I thought I saw you ride by a couple of weeks ago. Tried to catch your eye, but I was on the second floor & you didn't see me. If you're interested in gettin' together anytime just PM or email me. I've only got the Triumph here, but I can still ride.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #21 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
LOL! Nice one, Tom. Remind me to stay on your good side.

The worst I've ever had in 25+ years of biking is a bit of road rash from wearing jeans and no gloves (Vicodin good), and a cracked/bruised rib from totaling my '99 LT in the UK. The doctors didn't bother to x-ray, because the treatment is the same: try not to move or laugh, and here's more Vicodin. Did I mention that we were in the middle of an international move, plus putting on an all-day feast for a hundred people in a local castle?
I've had two road accidents, once I flipped a 81 lowrider at 70mpg, got _real_ bad road rash out of it, broken rib and chipped a piece of the hip bone off was all.

It ripped the bike apart in many pieces (me and the bike flipped some 300 feet down the highway) a run was coming up a week down the road, (I think actually is was like a week and a half before we were leaving)

So some friends brought a bunch of extra parts around and we pieced the bike back togehter with whatever would fit. it ended up with a Wide glide on it, 5 gl tanks (which made me happy) anyhow parts off all different year hd's which is pretty easy to do.

We Taped up my arms with gauze and wrap coated everything with sulvadene<sp?> and headed out on this run some 300 miles away. damn that hurt! the gauze started comming undone (the skin was tore off to where you could see a little of muscle (it was BAD road rash). Blood was oozing, when the air hit the nerve endings that was the real pain! and do not - repeat - DO NOT GET GOOSE BUMPS!.
I rode that whole weekend up there like that then it came time to head back home! I begged for someone to ride my bike back, so a few of the riders took turns swaping between the bikes and truck so I could just lay there and DIE!

Quote:
I can't imagine going through what some of you have, and I truly respect your need to get back on the bike.
Ahh heck it ain't that bad(ok THAT was a LIE - It sucked), we survived though. and there are many many who came out much worse.

Tom Crashing SUCKS

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in