A very interesting report for you LT owners - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

A very interesting report for you LT owners

Hi everyone,

Im a newbie here and with my 09 LT. Im currently in Madrid Spain visiting my father going on 2 weeks, my ol man is a Gold Wing DIE HARD and hes been trying very hard for me to own one back in the states, with that said, he rounded up 6 Gold Wing riders and 2 HD Ultras to go on a amazing trip. My dad has only one bike so since hes dying so much for me to buy a Wing he went ahead and rented a 2008 RT fully dressed up just because I told him to rent the nicest BMW motorcycle he could get so he can see for himself what I fussed so much about.

Our trip consisted to ride from Madrid to Toulouse France back to Barcelona Spain from Barcelona to Valencia from there to an amazing little city called Cuencas and back to Madrid.

My father had a real hard time riding the beemer, hes 63 and has always cruised with the European Pimp Bike of all times "Gold Wing" because of the incredible comfort, height, and all the goodies they have.

After spending 9 days on the road riding the GW with all the goodies and all the options through the most dangerous mountains I have ever seen in my life I can say that I will NOT trade my LT for a Gold Wing, ULTRA or BMW RT. I came to this conclusion after riding the RT and the Wing through some serious roads.

The Wing is a really nice motorcycle if youre a short guy, IM 6"5 and wasnt thrilled about the ride height it offers as Im a big guy all the way around. The wing handled very nice on the mountains and on the highway you really feel how powerful and smooth they are as long as you keep it under 100 mph but its no LT, you must be extremely careful leaning that thing cause it scrapes a lot sooner than the LT does. I did get several opportunities to twist that throttle all the way and see how smooth she was and boy I tell you, that bike does NOT like to be pushed hard, that thing is not happy over 100 mph but I kept that throttle twisted all the way to see where she was going to say enough and she did at 119 mph that is all I could get out of her, with that said if you guys are on the road and a wing is trying to prove something do not hesitate for one second you will smoke him away

6 days into the trip I asked the ol man to trade with me his rented RT for a bit to see what that bike is all about, the only thing I "loved" was the handling and the ride height, I guess you have to be a boxer type engine fan to really appreciate that bike, the weight was nice I guess if weight is an issue, would I buy one? the answer is very simple NO, I would buy a wing over that bike in a heartbeat, after 3 hours on the RT I thanked my dad very much for letting me ride it but I needed him to hand over the wing back

The guys riding the Ultras did OK but they were always last as those things are just loud and clumsy if you ask me, they seem to not handle very well in the mountains where you must be turning every 2 seconds, we literally had to stop almost every 30 minutes for them to catch up to us, I was not impressed at all with them period.

This has been the most incredible time Ive had with my father, funny thing was that as I was trying to get the Wing to impress me I was wishing my LT was here with me

Bottom line is that after this amazing journey I am more than sold on my LT and I cant wait to return back to the US next week and take her for a nice cruise....

Just thought Id share this with you guys.

Take care,

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Re: A very interesting report for you LT owners

I wish LT were available for rent in Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetflyerJ
Hi everyone,

Im a newbie here and with my 09 LT. Im currently in Madrid Spain visiting my father going on 2 weeks, my ol man is a Gold Wing DIE HARD and hes been trying very hard for me to own one back in the states, with that said, he rounded up 6 Gold Wing riders and 2 HD Ultras to go on a amazing trip. My dad has only one bike so since hes dying so much for me to buy a Wing he went ahead and rented a 2008 RT fully dressed up just because I told him to rent the nicest BMW motorcycle he could get so he can see for himself what I fussed so much about.

Our trip consisted to ride from Madrid to Toulouse France back to Barcelona Spain from Barcelona to Valencia from there to an amazing little city called Cuencas and back to Madrid.

My father had a real hard time riding the beemer, hes 63 and has always cruised with the European Pimp Bike of all times "Gold Wing" because of the incredible comfort, height, and all the goodies they have.

After spending 9 days on the road riding the GW with all the goodies and all the options through the most dangerous mountains I have ever seen in my life I can say that I will NOT trade my LT for a Gold Wing, ULTRA or BMW RT. I came to this conclusion after riding the RT and the Wing through some serious roads.

The Wing is a really nice motorcycle if youre a short guy, IM 6"5 and wasnt thrilled about the ride height it offers as Im a big guy all the way around. The wing handled very nice on the mountains and on the highway you really feel how powerful and smooth they are as long as you keep it under 100 mph but its no LT, you must be extremely careful leaning that thing cause it scrapes a lot sooner than the LT does. I did get several opportunities to twist that throttle all the way and see how smooth she was and boy I tell you, that bike does NOT like to be pushed hard, that thing is not happy over 100 mph but I kept that throttle twisted all the way to see where she was going to say enough and she did at 119 mph that is all I could get out of her, with that said if you guys are on the road and a wing is trying to prove something do not hesitate for one second you will smoke him away

6 days into the trip I asked the ol man to trade with me his rented RT for a bit to see what that bike is all about, the only thing I "loved" was the handling and the ride height, I guess you have to be a boxer type engine fan to really appreciate that bike, the weight was nice I guess if weight is an issue, would I buy one? the answer is very simple NO, I would buy a wing over that bike in a heartbeat, after 3 hours on the RT I thanked my dad very much for letting me ride it but I needed him to hand over the wing back

The guys riding the Ultras did OK but they were always last as those things are just loud and clumsy if you ask me, they seem to not handle very well in the mountains where you must be turning every 2 seconds, we literally had to stop almost every 30 minutes for them to catch up to us, I was not impressed at all with them period.

This has been the most incredible time Ive had with my father, funny thing was that as I was trying to get the Wing to impress me I was wishing my LT was here with me

Bottom line is that after this amazing journey I am more than sold on my LT and I cant wait to return back to the US next week and take her for a nice cruise....

Just thought Id share this with you guys.

Take care,

Johnny

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Good write up Johnny and it does sound like a great trip, especially with quality father /son time added to the mix!

I have to TOTALLY agree with your assessment of the LT. I am always being asked. "How can you handle such a BIG bike...Why ride that BIG pig...Get a faster, more nimble cycle...Get a wing...get an FJR...yadda, yadda!

Whenever I ride another bike, large or small, I can't wait to get back on the Big Girl, she has want I want!!

Power, poise, protection, personality! Yeah!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Good write up Johnny and it does sound like a great trip, especially with quality father /son time added to the mix!

I have to TOTALLY agree with your assessment of the LT. I am always being asked. "How can you handle such a BIG bike...Why ride that BIG pig...Get a faster, more nimble cycle...Get a wing...get an FJR...yadda, yadda!

Whenever I ride another bike, large or small, I can't wait to get back on the Big Girl, she has want I want!!

Power, poise, protection, personality! Yeah!

Thank you!!
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:26 am

Great report but mostly cause you got to spend time with the ol man...on a bike trip yet!!!

wish mine was still around to hang out with, he had a boat so that was good quality time hanging out and killin' a brew when he was still on this planet.

that stull will stick forever, kudo's....
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:05 am

Great report , if your mom and dad are still here please take the time to be with them , I miss mine so much . I would love spin time with them . Dan

Dan Jones 2004 K1200LT and 1993 ZX11C
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 1:07 pm

My Dad had a bike from 1941, when he turned 16, until 1953, when I was a year old and Mum finally got fed up with life in a side-car. He never lost his love of bikes and rode again for a short while in 1968/9, when I bought a Matchless 500 single, but he had to give that up for medical reasons. Even though he's 83, I'm sure he'd have ridden the LT at least once if he'd been well enough. He loves the big girl.

I videoed some of the runs we took on our recent trip to Spain and Portugal and made a DVD of the best bits to show him last night. I turned to speak to him while a ride along some twisties was on screen and realised he was leaning from side to side with the video.

Once bikes get under your skin it's an incurable disease!

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Dan,

Unfortunately sometimes and some of us realise when its too late.

Those of you who arent................dont.

Simon
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Johnny,
You are very blessed to be able to enjoy your ride with your Father. It is something that will stay with you forever.

Ultra LT
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 4:27 pm

Smile Re: A very interesting report for you LT owners

Hmm. Johnny, please note that my ride report on the Cherohala Skyway involved speeds of LESS than 100 mph. Maybe half of that. Or a little less.

I take back what I said about not being able to ride the length of the BRP in one day. At those speeds it may be possible!

"Jet flyer" for sure.
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Hmm. Johnny, please note that my ride report on the Cherohala Skyway involved speeds of LESS than 100 mph. Maybe half of that. Or a little less.

I take back what I said about not being able to ride the length of the BRP in one day. At those speeds it may be possible!

"Jet flyer" for sure.

LOL !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in