Dropped my LT on the left side (shift lever) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Dropped my LT on the left side (shift lever)

Hi,

I dropped my K1200LT on the left side and I guess that I barely bent the shifter lever such that it rubs against the plastic side panel. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost to fix? How much is a shift lever for a 2009 K1200LT anyway?

Thanks so much.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Dropped my LT on the left side (shift lever)

May want to try to straighten it out a bit.

01 23417685304 shift lever BUY 1 $187.55

Ouch. BMW means Bring More Wallet.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:03 pm

jUST BEND IT BACK, tHE TRICK IS NOT TO PUT STRESS ON THE LINKAGE. eITHER TAKE IT COMPLETELY OFF OR HOLD ABOVE THE BEND WITH VISE GRIPS AND ONLY BEND THE LOWER PART WHERE IT IS BENT. iT IS MADE OF ALLOY AND BENDS EASIER THAN IT LOOKS. wORKED FOR ME.....gOOD lUCK

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

My LT is in the shop now for the 600 mile "tune up" so they may not want to staighten it out. I have heared that it can be adjusted out a little.

It's nice to know the price ahead of time anyway (187.55).

Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Talking Re: Dropped my LT on the left side (shift lever)

Steve, your LT is a beautiful ride! I'm envious!

I notice from some of your forum entries you've been giving your crash bars a work out.... be careful mate.

Are your legs flat on the deck when you're seated? Is the seat in the lowest position? Does it not go low enough?

She is deceivingly forgiving on the road, but she is definitely like a moose at crawling speed (her weight up high and heavy)... I don't have very many LT miles under my saddle.. but, like the seasoned LT pilots here have written time and again... at slow speeds: no front brakes.. no leaning.. and keep her away from stopping parallel on a declining grade.

-- worst case scenario... there's always the Burgman 400.

Robert

Asleeplessknight
Beemer Rookie
'03 LTE
'83 VF750F
'74 MT250
'72 SL125
'70 Sears..... Nah
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants
I dropped my K1200LT on the left side and I guess that I barely bent the shifter lever such that it rubs against the plastic side panel. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost to fix? How much is a shift lever for a 2009 K1200LT anyway?
Besides the other responses, you might consider changing your shift linkage. A few guys, me included, experienced linkage failure not too long after a left side drop. Doesn't have to be even moving forward, just a simple ...oops!! drop CAN severely weaken or compromise those weak links. Swap them out for new, if they look okay, keep 'em for spares.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Happen to me. 06, I ordered one from Chicago BMW, Around $ 157 #23417685304 with shipping. The kicker was it took about 6 wks for delivery.
I removed the bent one with linkage, used vise to adjust curve. Had to install a couple of times checking clearance. Applied a little grease to linkage on final assemble.
Now I'll carry one with.

Dennis
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies everyone!

Robert -- Yes I'm concerned about my propensity to drop this bike while standing still. Dropped it 3 times in one day! I'm going to talk to them at the repair shop and see if they can suggest anyway of protecting the shift/brake linkage from damage. Maybe adding a little something to the "wings" front and rear to beef them up a bit. My seat is at the lowest level, and I can comfortably put both my feet flat on the ground on both sides. I just get to that "tipping point" and I can't pull the bike up. ALL my dumps have been at a stop.

I LOVE this bike! I just have to learn how to ride it at slow speeds.

Thanks again everyone.
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Smile Re: Dropped my LT on the left side (shift lever)

My advice are 3 simple things.

1. When stopping look straight ahead, no matter how much your mind wants to look to the right or left don't. LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD until stopped.

2. Make sure the front wheel is pointed straight ahead when stopping. (If you do this you can use the front brake, or least I do then)

3. When stopped don't try and bend over the front of the bike to look at the front tire. If you need to do this put it on the stand and get off.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200

1. When stopping look straight ahead, no matter how much your mind wants to look to the right or left don't. LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD until stopped.

2. Make sure the front wheel is pointed straight ahead when stopping. (If you do this you can use the front brake, or least I do then)

3. When stopped don't try and bend over the front of the bike to look at the front tire. If you need to do this put it on the stand and get off.
Excellent advice!

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #11 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200

If you choose not to follow this advise, then when she starts to lay over, let her go. You cannot stop her.
I picked up my LT is December 2005 and followed the front wheel straight every time...except once. I was in a gas station and the pump I pulled up to was out of order. I let out the clutch and started to ride around the pump island with the wheel turned and very gently touched my front brake. That was all she took. I just stepped over and let her go.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in