Another Rumor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Another Rumor

Had the local BMW sales guy come up to me yesterday and he says the
new LT is coming next year as a 1600cc 6cyl. I asked what sort of hp figures and he suggested "around 200" He has been pretty good on this in the past but.....

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Re: Another Rumor

My Sales Guy in Toronto also said that the new KLT will be 1600cc but will be a V4. Who knows?
post #3 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I just made up a rumor that the new LT would have a Wankel engine with three rotors, 200 HP, 65 MPG, weigh 450 lbs with 8 gallons of fuel, and cost under $15,000 US with all available options.

I would tell more but it is time for my meds.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
I just made up a rumor that the new LT would have a Wankel engine with three rotors, 200 HP, 65 MPG, weigh 450 lbs with 8 gallons of fuel, and cost under $15,000 US with all available options.

ROFL......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #5 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:56 pm

BMW K1850?

Just happened upon this sketch today... online... don't understand a word in the article.. but... she's got 6 cylinders... sports the beemer badge.. and it's called an LT... who knows...

Robert
Asleeplessknight
'03 LTE

post #6 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornHonker
Had the local BMW sales guy come up to me yesterday and he says the
new LT is coming next year as a 1600cc 6cyl. I asked what sort of hp figures and he suggested "around 200" He has been pretty good on this in the past but.....
Damn the old one is really pretty good. That said I would not beta test for BMW. If it comes out as a 2010 (in 2009) I would not buy one until at least 2010 or likely 2011, especially if it is a major re-work.
post #7 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleeplessknight
BMW K1850?

Just happened upon this sketch today... online... don't understand a word in the article.. but... she's got 6 cylinders... sports the beemer badge.. and it's called an LT... who knows...

Robert
Asleeplessknight
'03 LTE

That's the oldest "Rumored LT" drawing out there...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Na, na na,,,,you guys have it all wrong.....

HERE IS THE NEW LT......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike cooler-than-he-can-be.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	19025  

BLUBYU in the Toronto area

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try real hard, you just mind find, you get what you need."
post #9 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Spoke to dealer today and told him that it was my understanding that current LT (2009) is no longer in production.

Apparently not so. He just placed his order for next season's supply of LT's. He understands that the 2010 model will be the new version, due out in 2009.

He said that the rumors he hears on a daily basis are amazing. Do not believe much if anything one reads on the Internet, says sales manager of Durham BMW.

I think he has a point.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #10 of 23 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 9:05 pm
Just ridin'

As far as I know the current LT is no longer in production. In fact I am told there will be no production of any K-series bikes until the first of next year. With the rumors of a new LT, the new 1000cc superbike

and the rumors of an increase to 1300cc engine on the sport/sport touring bikes could make 2009 an interesting year.

You may see some of the new k-bikes shown in November.

One thing I have been told is that when BMW limits color choices to one is a pretty good signal that a model has reached the end of its life. The 2009 LT is available in any color you want, as long as it's black

One thing you can count on is that the people who know what is coming aren't talking and the people who are talking don't know what is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebish
Spoke to dealer today and told him that it was my understanding that current LT (2009) is no longer in production.

Apparently not so. He just placed his order for next season's supply of LT's. He understands that the 2010 model will be the new version, due out in 2009.

He said that the rumors he hears on a daily basis are amazing. Do not believe much if anything one reads on the Internet, says sales manager of Durham BMW.

I think he has a point.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 7:34 am

BMW K1850?

Translation from that link:

Does BMW build six cylinder? BMW and the row six cylinder - that is a fame-rich history for Bavaria, which cultivated a whole pallet of this just as dynamic as engines created. In various variants from two to 3.5 litres capacity with achievements from approximately 120 to over 300 HP. But always only for cars and with appropriate extents.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #12 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 7:55 am

Quote:

only 8gls of tank? shit still need a aux tank!

wish they would get it right!

hehehe

personally if they go bigger cc, it will flat rule out a new lt for me, ever. I do not want a bike that gets less than 40 mpg at interstate speeds again, the lt pushs that often at mpg's in the high 30's now, more cc's will just mean less mpg and further limits on distance

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #13 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 1:21 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
BMW K1850?

Robert
Asleeplessknight
'03 LTE

That sketch is several years old and has been around the block more than some real LTs.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #14 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I was getting pretty good information from Bavaria on LT developments until my source retired from the Army and moved back home. The last things he heard from his "reliable" neighbors was the concept of building the LT in Spartansburg since it is really a mainline for the US market and the low dollar to euro values would make it more economical to construct. We know they are retooling Spartansburg now but there is no evidence it is for a motorcycle line and in fact appears to be for the new X6. There seems to be little question now the new LT will be a six cylinder and more than likely a brand new motorcycle engine rather than an offshoot of the K40(S,R,GT) engine design. Frankly, I don't care how many cylinders it has as long as they improve some basic tenants necessary to be the superior two-up sport oriented touring machine. Better mpg, better quality adjustable suspension, more storage capacity, better low-end power, multi-media interfaced crystal cockpit electronic cluster, low slung option like the new RT, and perhaps a red color option.

I agree that those on the inside are not providing a lot of information and until we see some mule photos popping up, BMW has done a great job keeping this under wraps.

By the way, I had a red 10th Anniversary Victory Vision pass me the other day while on PCH down in SoCal. It was dusk and I couldn't make out WTF it was until it was next to me. What a bizarre yet unique looking touring bike. It was quiet and really looked spacey from the rear with the lights on. Not my cup of tea but did I mention it was RED?

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #15 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Quote:

I saw a prototype of that a LONG time ago. Finally they are getting around to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prototype.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	19033  

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #16 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 8:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
I was getting pretty good information from Bavaria on LT developments until my source retired from the Army and moved back home. The last things he heard from his "reliable" neighbors was the concept of building the LT in Spartansburg since it is really a mainline for the US market and the low dollar to euro values would make it more economical to construct. We know they are retooling Spartansburg now but there is no evidence it is for a motorcycle line and in fact appears to be for the new X6. There seems to be little question now the new LT will be a six cylinder and more than likely a brand new motorcycle engine rather than an offshoot of the K40(S,R,GT) engine design. Frankly, I don't care how many cylinders it has as long as they improve some basic tenants necessary to be the superior two-up sport oriented touring machine. Better mpg, better quality adjustable suspension, more storage capacity, better low-end power, multi-media interfaced crystal cockpit electronic cluster, low slung option like the new RT, and perhaps a red color option.

I agree that those on the inside are not providing a lot of information and until we see some mule photos popping up, BMW has done a great job keeping this under wraps.

By the way, I had a red 10th Anniversary Victory Vision pass me the other day while on PCH down in SoCal. It was dusk and I couldn't make out WTF it was until it was next to me. What a bizarre yet unique looking touring bike. It was quiet and really looked spacey from the rear with the lights on. Not my cup of tea but did I mention it was RED?
Not to hijack the thread, but I've seen a new Victory Vision around town a couple of times. I wouldn't have interest in one, but darned if the styling ain't starting to grow on me....

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #17 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:50 pm

One day, we will find out.

Just like, one day we will find out who the VP candidates are, if my LT will have a leaking seal that takes out my clutch, if the FD fails, and how long the trunk latch lasts before both sides break.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:59 pm

I work for Coca Cola and am in the BMW plant in Spartanburg quite often. No mention from anyone their about building bikes. But they did just open the rider training courses so who really knows.

Proverbs 24:10 If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!

Kingdaddy
post #19 of 23 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
...if the FD fails...
Of course, the new LT has a fail-proof final drive. Honest.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #20 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 1:20 am

Quote:

i have swamp land in the everglades for sale.... lol
post #21 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 2:07 am

When the BMW factory demo truck was in town last month, one of the factory demo riders told me the next gen would be a six cyl. for sure. Having just switched from the GL1800, I'm all for it!

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman Mn
'02 K1200LT
'94 K75S for sale
'11 DR650 Alaska Bike
'13 KTM 250XCW
post #22 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Quote:
BMW K1850?

See the writing at the bottom of the picture? It's a Kraft Design concept.

Here's another BMW they did:

http://www.s-kraft.net/gallerieordne...ld24BMWGP.html

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #23 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Quote:
BMW K1850?

Robert
Asleeplessknight
'03 LTE

Using Babel Fish to translate from German, here's the link to read it in English : http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in