clearview windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

clearview windshield

has anybody purchased the clearview shield with the vent? I live in FL and airflow is the only way to keep cool .Also anyone have any ideas how to dissapate the heat coming off of the motor? Any ideas on keeping cool will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:12 am

Re: clearview windshield

Terry:

I have a Clearview with the vent, but it is on a Concours which is an even warmer bike. As for it letting some air in on you, yes it will, but it is not a lot. My main concern with Clearview is the thickness, it is not as thick as many other brands of windshields.

hth

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:48 am

I'm calling bullshit on this, why?

I doubt if ANYONE on this forum has this windshield on their LT, and with a 5-7 week wait to get one? They must be VERY popular!

The part of their site that really bothers me is they say that their extremely thin 1/4" " Premium High Impact Acrylic Blend Material Exceeds Industry & DOT Standards".

I would love to know what Industry Standards and DOT Standards they are talking about - there are NONE. (last time I checked) There are also no Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields. I would also like to know what makes their acrylic "premium." Acrylic is acrylic, period.

The reason EVERY aftermarket windshield maker for the LT (with the exception of the polycarbonate V-stream) uses acrylic is that it is extremely cheap and easy to fabricate. It is also extremely dangerous since it can shatter into razor sharp shards when impacted by a an object - they also "craze" easily - get hundreds of fine spider lines over time.

I do however like their vent, and if it actually works on the LT that would be great. I like it enough for $53.00 to order one, cut a hole in my windshield and give it a try. I hope it fits, but clear silicone caulk will probably be my best friend.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that vent they advertise is a stock Honda Gold Wing vent - it most likely won't fit my windshield.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	19027  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:04 am.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 12:37 pm

I live right across from you in the great city of Tallahassee. So I know what hot means on the LT. What I have done to make the ride a little more comfortable for me is.
1. Do ride when it is so hot.
2. If you do, ride in the AM.
3. I got the euro cut windshield, which I like a lot.
4. Windshield all the way down in the city.
5. Pull in the winglets.
6. Light colored pants/jacket and helmet.
7. I have used a bandana, soaked in water, rapped arounded the neck.

Hope this helps a little.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 2:38 pm

JMO, but I feel the most distortion free shield for the LT is the PARABELLUM.
They have a vent option as well.

www.parabellum.com

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Having ridden behind a Parabellum, a CB #2 -2, a V-Stream and the BMW full windshield, I can say the Parabellum is the most distortion free of the bunch, even with the vents.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Having ridden behind a Parabellum, a CB #2 -2, a V-Stream and the BMW full windshield, I can say the Parabellum is the most distortion free of the bunch, even with the vents.
Which one gets you the best gas mileage?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in