Radio Repair Update - When is the next LT ready? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Radio Repair Update - When is the next LT ready?

Well my 2003 LT radio with cd player stopped playing sound through my rear speakers. I followed the advice on this forum and nothing worked (I unplugged the battery overnight, I hit the sting ray, I checked the barrel connectors, I sprayed Wd-40 in the connectors, I tested the battery, (12.2 volts engine off, 13.3 volts engine running) Nothing worked.

So I decided to call Becker of North America and learned a few things about the radio in the LT. There are 3 models.
  1. Radio with Tape Player
  2. Radio with CD 2003 and older
  3. 2005 and newer Radio with CD.
The units are not interchangle. You can not install a radio with tape player in a bike that has the controls for radio with CD and you cannot use a 2005 or newer Radio with a 2003 bike.

Becker can repair a radio with Tape Player (they still have the parts), but they can-not repair a 2003 or older radio with CD. (they do not have any more parts) The only option is to buy a new one from BMW. This is because BMW ordered a certain number of radios to be built and a certain amount of spare parts to be stocked. Becker does not have any more parts for the radio with cd, 2003 and earlier and therefore cannot repair them. When the BMW runs out of the replacement 2003 CD radios, there will not any other radios available.

I asked if changing a battery or un-hooking the battery might help the unit to reset itself and the answer was NO. If the AMP is failing, then it is failing.

So while I had him on the phone, I figured I would see if he had any news on the next generation LT. I asked if they were working on a new radio for the next generation LT and he said he was not aware of anything new that they were working on for BMW.

So now I guess I have to live with only 2 speakers or take the plunge and spend between $550 and $750 for a new radio...

Any idea when will the new LT be out??? I dont want to start dumping money into a bike that I plan on trading in as soon as the next generation is out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 3:01 pm

Re: Radio Repair Update - When is the next LT ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_nj1
So I decided to call Becker of North America and learned a few things about the radio in the LT. There are 3 models.
  1. Radio with Tape Player
  2. Radio with CD 2003 and older
  3. 2005 and newer Radio with CD.
The units are not interchangle. You can not install a radio with tape player in a bike that has the controls for radio with CD and you cannot use a 2005 or newer Radio with a 2003 bike.

Becker can repair a radio with Tape Player (they still have the parts), but they can-not repair a 2003 or older radio with CD. (they do not have any more parts) The only option is to buy a new one from BMW. This is because BMW ordered a certain number of radios to be built and a certain amount of spare parts to be stocked. Becker does not have any more parts for the radio with cd, 2003 and earlier and therefore cannot repair them. When the BMW runs out of the replacement 2003 CD radios, there will not any other radios available.
Bizarre...I bought a single CD for the oddments box and removed my tape player on my 00 LT, plugged right in and works fine...

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 3:15 pm

Your source at Becker is incorrect. The Tape and CD models from '99 through '04 are indeed interchangeable. You do, however, have to install an AM/FM antenna adapter to go from a tape model to a cd model, but the controls and buttons work with either. I did the conversion about 3 years ago on my '99 and she works like a champ.

Bill Edwards
'99 K1200LT
'75 R75/6

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 4:23 pm

+1 for Bill. I did mine last year. Went to a cassette from CD. No Problems.
Just the adaptor for the antenna.
You can pick those up at Bestbuy.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #5 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 4:34 pm

what is the antenna adapter for ???
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
what is the antenna adapter for ???
To adapt the aerial (antennae is what ants have on their heads) to the different connector type.

Just pussin' through.
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1
Your source at Becker is incorrect. The Tape and CD models from '99 through '04 are indeed interchangeable.
The date is around August 2003 when they changed to an incompatible model. There are two part numbers which are not interchangeable as I found to my cost. I think the digital dash models all had the later part number CD head.

Just pussin' through.
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I went from CD to tape 3 years ago and have had no problems. I use a tape adapter on my MP3 and XM all the time. Jim
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
To adapt the aerial (antennae is what ants have on their heads) to the different connector type.
I didn't see any smilies in your post so can I assume this is a criticism rather than a joke on your part? Most web etiquette faqs recommend the inclusion of smilies or other forms of clarification so that others can tell mirthful jibes from boorish snobbery. Hopefully you just forgot.

The majority of members on this forum speak and write in American English not British English. There are many differences between them not only in spelling but also in terminology; for example trunk vs boot, bumper vs fender, lorry vs truck and in this case antenna vs aerial. Of course many Americans don't know much more about American English then they do British English. It's a result of too many failed or failing educational systems in this country.

For your reference here is American Merriam-Webster definition of the word "antenna".

Main Entry : anĚtenĚna
Pronunciation: \an-ˈte-nə\
Function : noun Inflected Form(s):plural anĚtenĚnae \-(ˌ)nē\ or anĚtenĚnas
Etymology : Medieval Latin, from Latin, sail yard Date:1646
1 plural anĚtenĚnae : one of a pair of slender movable segmented sensory organs on the head of insects, myriapods, and crustaceans Ś see insect illustration
2 : a usually metallic device (as a rod or wire) for radiating or receiving radio waves
3 antennae plural : a special sensitivity or receptiveness <his political antennae proved to be shrewder than ever Ś Erich Segal>

With enough interaction most people eventually come to the realization that America and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 29 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:37 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Radio Repair Update, interchange amps

Assuming you have both, i.e. a cassette type radio and the CD type radio are the amps interchangeable ?

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #11 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 2:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
I didn't see any smilies in your post so can I assume this is a criticism rather than a joke on your part? Most web etiquette faqs recommend the inclusion of smilies or other forms of clarification so that others can tell mirthful jibes from boorish snobbery. Hopefully you just forgot.
Maybe you should get back into bed and climb out the correct side again? If you care to review my extensive posts, you will note that there have been no agressive or deliberately rude posts from me. But then most English folk have a sense of humour (note the correct spelling).

Just pussin' through.
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 2:39 am

Re: Radio Repair Update, interchange amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Assuming you have both, i.e. a cassette type radio and the CD type radio are the amps interchangeable ?
They are integral units, so there is nothing to change between them. How about replacing it with an aftermarket radio? There are adapters available to enable the use of the handlebar controls, but I don't think you can keep the display function.

I would think adapters will be available over there but in England http://www.connects2.com do a range. I use a Becker to Sony adapter so I can run a Minidisc player instead of CD.

At the moment I am experimenting with a Pure Highway DAB head.

Just pussin' through.
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 4:16 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile I'll Look into It.

Many thanks. Just recently discovered the dreaded no radio display. Haven't used the radio for over 12 months, and as the intercom works just fine, not too fussed. Ages ago (2003) bought a cassette type and after I get around to doing all the trouble shooting checks for this one ( yes, I do know them ) There remains this spare unit to cannibalize if required. Just a thought.

Thought for today.
What a lovely day, think I'll go for a ride.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 5:44 am

Quote:
Maybe you should get back into bed and climb out the correct side again? If you care to review my extensive posts, you will note that there have been no agressive or deliberately rude posts from me. But then most English folk have a sense of humour (note the correct spelling).
Now, now Gentlemen...let's get worked up at Al-Qaeda and the Taliban, not each other.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:21 am

If it were my problem (the radio, not the etymology or linguistics), I would visit a local audio shop and see if they have any suggestions or ideas to fix or replace. Heck they might get a 3000w boomer with sub in the trunk. Hoo yeah baby. Maybe some hydraulics too..... Wait, I'm getting off track.... : )

But a stereo shop might be able to help.

Randy
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:20 am

Quote:
Is this an Oooops moment here, please note the smiley.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #17 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:54 pm

[QUOTE=Vince_nj1]The only option is to buy a new one from BMW.

So now I guess I have to live with only 2 speakers or take the plunge and spend between $550 and $750 for a new radio... QUOTE]

I see entire "stingray" assemblies on eBay, as well as radio units, for sale quite regularly. I bet you can pick up a used replacement radio from a wrecked bike and save lots of bucks.
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:02 pm

Quote:
I can see that the communication failures continue unabated. I actually slept quite nicely and did get up on the correct side of the bed, thank you very much for your concern.

All I did was ask you a question and attempt to explain, in a an unsuccessfully humourous fashion, how you could prevent people misinterpreting what you are now inferring is your form of language "humour". That's what the confused emoticon and the question mark in the first sentence were for. I never stated you were rude or aggressive and I don't know you well enough to have an opinion.

Obviously the humour of our respective countries is as different as our common language. Correcting someones grammar is considered by many here in the colonies to be rude. Hell a lot of colonials think any kind of criticism is rude. Down with the colonials! You can pretty much expect any viewpoint on a web forum or mail list to be challenged by one or many opposing ones. Anonymity seems to impede the higher social graces.

Nope, just call me mister inconsiderate if you want but I can't read minds and I do not care to review the posting history of every person who posts comments on a forum in order figure out if they are joking or being critical. If I am in doubt I will ask. If a person doesn't spend the effort to effectively communicate the meaning or emotions behind their written words then why should the readers be expected to put any effort into divining the meaning? It's no big deal and it happens to everyone from time to time. We aren't thinking, were tired, were in a hurry and we certainly aren't perfect, especially me. Usually nobody thinks anything much about it but sometimes someone does.

If I were a rude person and really thought that you were being a jerk I would have sent you a PM. It would either contain directions for where the the King's English could be more appropriately deposited or something slightly more obtuse. Something like the American Revolutionary War is over and you lost, so get over it. (Note: Emoticons indicate an attempt at humour)

But I am not a rude person and I meant no disrespect. If we should ever be fortunate enough to meet and the Scotsmen and Irishmen in my family tree are not an impediment . I would be proud to pretend to laugh at your jokes and buy you a beer ,

or perhaps that should be a pint?

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #19 of 29 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 7:01 am

Quote:
248 posts are extensive? Just kidding Andy.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 29 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
248 posts are extensive? Just kidding Andy.
You're just showing off, you with your 4000 + posts

We want quality not quantity

(Please note I'm laughing my bloody head off as I type this!)

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 9:26 am

I see that. And I've got some good ones and some that stink pretty bad.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #22 of 29 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:12 am

Quote:
LOL
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
.....Obviously the humour of our respective countries is as different as our common language. Correcting someones grammar is considered by many here in the colonies to be rude. ..........
I have been cracking up since I was directed to this post. I once made the mistake of trying to "correct" a colonialists grammer when pointing out how bad the word gotten sounds to us speekers of the "Queens English" - only to have it pointed out that gotten is OLD English and it is therefore far more "correct" than enyfink wot ay speeks.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #24 of 29 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:45 pm

radioman in san diego ca will repair about 250 with a year warr.
post #25 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Right folks lets start with HOW NOW BROWN COW . repeat very slowly
regards numbnuts in blighty
post #26 of 29 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 8:56 pm

"The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain".

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #27 of 29 Old Sep 29th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Smile Re: Radio Repair Update - When is the next LT ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
+1 for Bill. I did mine last year. Went to a cassette from CD. No Problems.
Just the adaptor for the antenna.
You can pick those up at Bestbuy.

Zeke

Do you have any idea what the part number is? I am having the radio replaced and the dealer does not know where to get the adaptor. I don't know what to ask for at Best Buy.

Thanks.

Gary Lieske
post #28 of 29 Old Sep 30th, 2010, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
I have been cracking up since I was directed to this post. I once made the mistake of trying to "correct" a colonialists grammer when pointing out how bad the word gotten sounds to us speekers of the "Queens English" - only to have it pointed out that gotten is OLD English and it is therefore far more "correct" than enyfink wot ay speeks.
You live in Wales and know how to use vowels? Now THAT is truly impressive! I have a picture of a sign I took in Wales many moons ago when I lived in Chester on a work assignment. I think the sign has something like 28 letters and not a single vowel from that "normal" English vowels. Great picture!

My wife and I really enjoyed our weekend jaunts from Chester into Wales. Great fun driving down the goat paths!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #29 of 29 Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 3:46 pm

Jim (jd in renton).

Sorry but you have got it wrong.
It is not beer or pint,
it is beers or pints.

Bottoms up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in