Illinois I-Pass? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Illinois I-Pass?

Hi Folks, bought a 99LT with over 111M miles on her but she's a real beauty! I live in Northern Illinois and we have I-Pass to go through the toll booths. Can anyone tell me where to put the transponder? I put it in the cassette compartment but I don't think it works there from the one time I exited on Arlington Heights road. Thanks -K-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Re: Illinois I-Pass?

1. Velcro to windshield.
2. Ram mount on bars.
3. keep it in the oddments box and pull it out at tolls.
4. AreoStich inside pocket.
5. Tank bag map case.
5. AreoStitch makes a toll pass holder.
I usually just keep it handy where I can pull it out from a pocket and hold it up at the tolls.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Have mine mounted on the right side winglet.
What is nice that a large number of states let you use the I-Pass on their systems.

DON

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 6:48 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

In your car

I do not bother carrying it at all. I have the licence plate registered and I am charged a vtoll on my account. I have never had a problem or a violation. Just my thoughts.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 8:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
In your car

I do not bother carrying it at all. I have the licence plate registered and I am charged a vtoll on my account. I have never had a problem or a violation. Just my thoughts.
Same here with the Tx-Tag. BUT.... if you get New tags when you reregister the bike make sure you let the toll people know so they don't hit you up for a violation. Don't ask how I know this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:26 pm

I put I-Pass in the map pocket of my tank bag. It seems to work well.

Otherwise, in my vest pocket and just pull it out when "open tolling"
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:55 pm

I have the acessory shelf under the windshield, I mount my Ipass there and there enough room left for a future GPS or some other farkle. BTW I get off at Arlington Hts Rd everday and the light never lights up on the toll to indicate a paid toll. I dont know why, and Ive never (knock on wood) had a violation notice. It make me wonder if the light on the toll exit simply doesnt work. I ride in to work pretty much everyday from May thru Sep, and everytime the weather lets me in March, April, October n November.

Point being I know I90 very well and I havent had any I-pass problems

tom
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 7:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
In your car

I've had this fact verified with the I-Pass helpdesk and the supervisor. The "vtoll" happens when a picture is taken of your plate and computer verified in their database. You just need to register the MC plate with the I-Pass. I believe you can have 3 vehicles registered on one I-Pass.
The helpdesk suggested NOT mounting the transponder or holding it up as you go through the gate. Let the computer do the database lookup against your plate. There are no instructions on their webpage as to how to mount a transponder to a MC.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 8:40 am

Wink Re: Illinois I-Pass?

I believe the I-pass is the same system New York uses for their EZpass. The little lady behind the protection glass, told me that mounting the sensor on the left of center side of the bike and going through the toss station on the right side of the track, and not to go to fast through the station. This worked for me. Other posts have said that locating sensor in the top section of the trunk also works.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 8:47 am

I don't know...I've received tickets on "registered" vehicles in the past. Maybe they have improved on their technology recently. The problem is that you get a ticket in the mail with a few missed toll violations as far back as a year and then what do you do? Pay 'em.
Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
I don't know...I've received tickets on "registered" vehicles in the past. Maybe they have improved on their technology recently. The problem is that you get a ticket in the mail with a few missed toll violations as far back as a year and then what do you do? Pay 'em.
Keith
The last two years of riding home from work on I-88 I've never had an I-Pass on the MC and have yet to get a snail-mail ticket. Again, I've had this verbally verified with the toll authorities and there is video recognition of your plate to bill against.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk20710
Hi Folks, bought a 99LT with over 111M miles on her but she's a real beauty! I live in Northern Illinois and we have I-Pass to go through the toll booths. Can anyone tell me where to put the transponder? I put it in the cassette compartment but I don't think it works there from the one time I exited on Arlington Heights road. Thanks -K-
I made a mount for the iPass that fits on the sunshade of my Garmin out of an old acrylic license plate cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPass Mount.jpg
Views:	3702
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	18798  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Quote:
In your car

I don't know about doing that.
Today, I received a violation notice from the Ill. Tollway Authority for 13 toll violations dating back as far as 11/16/2006. $7.20 in tolls and $260.00 in fines. My transponder is in working order and all info is up to date.

I have the older kind that "beeps" when you pass thru a toll. It doesn't always beep (tollways fault) and I have on occasion forgotten it (my fault).
They do not "run every plate at every toll" thru the database as someone in the forum said.

Play at your own risk.

Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Quote:
I don't know about doing that.
Today, I received a violation notice from the Ill. Tollway Authority for 13 toll violations dating back as far as 11/16/2006. $7.20 in tolls and $260.00 in fines. My transponder is in working order and all info is up to date.

I have the older kind that "beeps" when you pass thru a toll. It doesn't always beep (tollways fault) and I have on occasion forgotten it (my fault).
They do not "run every plate at every toll" thru the database as someone in the forum said.

Play at your own risk.

Keith
Keith I check my account on-line at least once a week. I have one transponder linked to three cars two trailers and one motorcycle. I see the v-tolls recorded when I check on-line.
? did your CC expire.

I would argue your case if I was you.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 25th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Keith I check my account on-line at least once a week. I have one transponder linked to three cars two trailers and one motorcycle. I see the v-tolls recorded when I check on-line.
? did your CC expire.

I would argue your case if I was you.
Patrick,

Credit card info is all good. I have paid missed tolls online when I miss a bunch..like in one trip, but I don't feel like I should have to monitor that too....life's too short...guess I should. I use the tollway intermittently, not every day like a commute.

Will call tollway for sure....I think that they let you pay the toll and not the fine if your account is up to date. We'll see on Monday.

d*#m technology.. we've got to meet up soon.

Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 26th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Patrick,

Credit card info is all good. I have paid missed tolls online when I miss a bunch..like in one trip, but I don't feel like I should have to monitor that too....life's too short...guess I should. I use the tollway intermittently, not every day like a commute.

Will call tollway for sure....I think that they let you pay the toll and not the fine if your account is up to date. We'll see on Monday.

d*#m technology.. we've got to meet up soon.

Keith
I agree with you about the monitoring. I would hope that they would dismiss the fines because your account is up to date, but then again we are trying to be rational with non rational toll way authority

We for sure need to meet up, I just paid $78 for an oil change tech session please

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Quote:

Keith
Well, I am off the hook. Since I have an I-Pass account in good standing, I only had to pay the missed tolls. $7.40

Only had to be on hold for a half an hour......

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I am off the hook. Since I have an I-Pass account in good standing, I only had to pay the missed tolls. $7.40

Only had to be on hold for a half an hour......
Did you ask about the eToll (camera verified registration)?
I haven't looked at my account, nor have I gotten a mailed notice. Just wondering how you now feel about riding without an I-pass.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #19 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:52 pm

My iPass works best when mounted on the stationary triange of the window on the left side of the LT. I know, in theory, that IL will check your License Plate against the data base, but I do not know if any of the other states which accept the IPass will do the same.

Any ideas out there?

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 4:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Did you ask about the eToll (camera verified registration)?
I haven't looked at my account, nor have I gotten a mailed notice. Just wondering how you now feel about riding without an I-pass.

Jer
They send you the notice with a picture of your vehicle for what that's worth......
I try not to ride or drive without the trandsponder, it's just that sometimes I realize that I left it on another bike or on the workbench etc.
Keith

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
1988 Concours
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 10:06 pm

As somebody else has said, if you have an account in good standing at the time of the violation, simply call them and let them know and you'll not be responsible for the fine.

I bought a new car a few months ago and promptly called them and registered the new car and deregistered the old car. I received a violation notice for something like $400 a week or two ago - it was for the old car. They had a ton of instances of the old car going through the tollways and this was all from before the car change - but there was a lag between the date of the incident and when they checked to see if the license plate was active on my account. Since I had a new license plate, they did not find the old plate in the system and I received a huge fine. I told the gal on the phone that I had previously had that car/plate registered and she found it in the system and eliminated the fines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in