Engine Fire!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Engine Fire!!

I started the 1999 Lt this afternoon a few minutes before going to work (nightshift). It was running while I put on my gear. The bike had been running for about eight minutes inside the garge with the door open.

I got on the bike and proceeded to negotiate my way backwards down the drive between my other vehicles ... when I noticed that there was a whole lot of white smoke oozing/pouring out of the gaps between various body panels including the stingray!!! Oh shit!!!!

I turned the bike off quickly and put the kickstand down and ran to the garage door keypad. I typed in the code and glanced back at the bike and oh boy it was not only smoking but there was a yellowish flame right on top of the engine!!! It was freaking burning??? WTF???

I remembered that I had a fire ext. (chemical) next to a far shelf so not wanting to wait on the slow moving door I slid under it gear and all and grabbed it. It took two very short burst to put the flames out. What a mess!

I looked at the top of the engine this morning a few minutes ago and there seems to be some residue of some type of fluid (oil?, brake?). Only guessing by the color and intensity of the flames I don't believe it was fuel.

The bike had not been started or ridden in exactly one month.

The clutch lever will NOT move! Since I did not engage the clutch before I noticed the fire I don't know if the fire was the cause of the "frozen" lever or not.

I will tell you that I have had this bike for two years and it has been a great ride through and through. It has 68,000 on the odo. Luckily I have other bikes to ride. I transferred my gear to the 95' Tiger and pensively made my way to work.

The LT will still start but I can't get the clutch to move at all. Well if anybody has any ideas I would/will be grateful to entertain them after I get some sleep.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:28 am

Re: Engine Fire!!

The clutch won't move because the hydraulic line to it was melted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

The fire burned for about 30 seconds to the best of knowledge since I didn't notice it was on fire until I saw the smoke. It was probably burning a little longer. I was putting my riding gear on virtually right next to the bike. I did not smell anything out of the ordinary just exhaust gasses.

I have replaced fuel filter, air filter and brake relay over time but have not had a look inside or rather on top of the engine that I can remember. I guess you are saying that the clutch tubing/piping runs directly above the area where the fire was located? Are you also saying that the clutch hydraulic line at that point is synthetic or rubber?

I don't have time to look into the situation until I rotate back to dayshift having a couple of days off in between the shifts. On the centerstand the bike will start and I can shift it (very carefully?) into first gear and back to neutral no problem except of course no clutch disengagement. The clutch lever will not move.

How much would a repair like this cost? I have full coverage but with a high deductible!

Just by chance is there a purely mechanical, not related to the fire, problem that might have occurred prior to the fire? Is there some mechanism that prevents clutch disengagement that I might have tripped closed when I very quickly got off the bike or that I tripped while I was pushing it back up the inclined driveway? Grasping at straws ... I know, I know but maybe.

Well I appreciate any and all help. If I were a betting man I would bet that I will be one tupperware removing fool on my next set of days off!!

Thanks

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 3:03 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I'm going go with Grif on this one. The line most likey melted closed and it runs from the clutch lever all the way to the slave cylinder. You are going to need to get in there and replace the breather line and fuel line just to be safe. And a good visual on the rest of it for damage. Be sure to hose out the dry chemical agent as they are highly corrosive.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 29 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

What I hear y'all saying sounds like the most probable scenario. I will get "her" undressed and check things out as soon as I get the time.

The dry chemical ext. did make a mess even though I used only two very short burst. I will wash it off as advised. I don't think it would be wise to blow it off with compressed air!

Many Thanks!!
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 9:00 am

Greetings,

If you have comprehensive insurance on your policy, this is a covered loss in most states. Take photos before you take her apart if your going the insurance route. You can PM me for further info on this subject if youd like?

Dale
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 9:10 am

To me, the CAUSE of the fire is the most important thing to discover and I'm betting on the Fuel Line QD's Amazing story...just glad it didn't burn to the ground!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Regardless of mileage, ANY fire on any vehicle is serious business and I would recommend you advise NHTSA of it. You may also want to send a certified letter to BMW advising them of the situation, including pictures.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 9:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Most of the early bikes did not have the QD's, just a insert and clamps.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:40 pm

Just wondering WHy you leave the bike running for so long before riding it. Manual clearly says start and ride - do not leave idling.
Not sure of this would have made any difference - could have been worse

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #11 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Regardless of mileage, ANY fire on any vehicle is serious business and I would recommend you advise NHTSA of it.
Absolutely!!!!!
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

I will take plenty of pics before, during and after searching for causes and effects.

There are no QD's on this model year (99') based on my limited experience. But I did remove the gas tank about six months ago to replace that pleasantly easy to get to brake light relay.

As far as idling for eight (best guess) minutes goes this bike is subject to far harsher conditions on the road stuck in Houston summer traffic (clutch/throttle go ten feet, clutch/throttle go ten feet, clutch/throttle go ten feet ...etc ... rinse repeat...) than idling in the shade in the garage, that being said I don't normally let it idle that long. I do however always let it idle a bit so as to check things out "operationally" speaking, wrong or right that's just how I do it.

The last trip out on the LT down to the valley (way south Texas) I did run the bike through some twiggy high grass. Maybe some bits of kindling were just waiting for the right conditions? Leaky fuel clamps or compromised hoses?

Well anyway no answers til' I get to it on Tuesday or Wednesday and even then maybe no answers.

thanks for the help/suggestions
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 7:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you want some help,I am free Tuesday evening.

Dan Martin
Sugarland,tx
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:03 am

Just as an FYI, before I would consdier touching the motorcycle I'd call my insurance company and see what they suggest first. It's a bit late to do that once you start to take it apart.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Well after going twelve rounds with Dolly I am back in town and am now ready to begin with the plastic removal.

By the way does anybody have any idea how to get a stuck cassette out of the cassette player? It has been there since the previous owner.

Thanks
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:28 am

Is the tape mangled or the button does nothing at all, no noise when pressed?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #17 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:57 am Thread Starter

The tape isn't mangled it plays and sounds alright. When I push the eject button there is no noise associated with ejection the tape keeps playing.

I removed the side panels but still can't see the fire damage so I guess it is the stingray and the gas tank next. The fuel lines and surrounding area showed no sign of leakage or damage just a little bit of powder.

There is oily residue mixed with dirt "around" the front rotor and rim.

Back to work!
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Just wondering WHy you leave the bike running for so long before riding it. Manual clearly says start and ride - do not leave idling.
Not sure of this would have made any difference - could have been worse
I'm curious about this right here. Do you think there's a time limit on idling the bike BEFORE it bursts into flame? I mean, I know we're all concerned about wasting gas and all, but isn't this a little mediaeval?
And definitely make sure this is reported to the IIHS and to the NHTSA as well as BMW North America. In my opinion, BMW should be offering to inspect this bike ASAP (meaning TODAY) to understand what spontaneously combusted! Catching on fire is NOT acceptable. I for one, will be watching BMW's response to this situation.
It seems there's no end to the number of ways the LT is designed to fail, although to be honest I would prefer a rear drive to a fire! I hope I didn't just jinx myself

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Houston traffic is MEDIEVAL much worse than idling in the shade in the garage door open. Eight min was a guess (overestimate)! I was putting my gear on while the bike was idling.

Just two short burst and dust everywhere!

Last edited by gslttigerrider; Jul 28th, 2008 at 1:02 pm. Reason: complete the word
post #20 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

I removed the stingray and the tank.

It does not look good! There are several charred and some lines burned completely through. It looks like the clutch, both cruise control cables, and several electrical lines are charred and melted a bit, so it looks like game over.

The ins agent is coming by today (late afternoon) to look at it.

Wish me good luck.

Thanks

p.s. any ideas on the stuck cassette tape?
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslttigerrider

p.s. any ideas on the stuck cassette tape?
Yeah, it sounds like it needed more lighter fluid to fix it!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #22 of 29 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 6:00 pm

I just read your post as I was checking on mine. I too had a fire except that I didn't bother with the insurance guy because if you make a fire claim, then it goes on record against that VIN #. Read my post - it's a long and arduous project to fix melted wiring and whatever else is damaged. The clutch hose is the biggest problem though, because the FD, drive shaft, and swing arm have to come out.

Back to the insurance thing, I'd be interested to see what the dollar figure is for yours. I was out about $400 for parts, not even the deductible for most insurance policies. I did all the work myself. It's not that bad. Contact me if you need some pointers.

Dave
post #23 of 29 Old Aug 31st, 2011, 9:47 pm

I had an almost exact experience. While warming up before putting on my gear, I heard a pop and then saw smoke, then flames. Fortunately I had a fire hose handy, smothered fire with minimum damage. When I dismantle it, I found fuel mixture shot up into all four airbox ports. When the fuel came down across the injectors, the spark ignited the fuel. Back tracing issue and all theory, hope and prayer at this point - issue is jump timing. Cracking that portion of the engine open tomorrow. praying to motorcycle God tonight.

Steven Luckie
Big John - 00' John Deere
"True Courage can only be seen through the eyes of the Brave"
post #24 of 29 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 9:50 am

I've seen bikes idle in the shop for much longer and it seems that many of my HD buddies will do the same while discussing world events, so just having the bike idle should not in itself be a reason to burn. I don't understand why you'd want to let a bike idle for so long, but I'm sure that I do things that others wonder about too!

I normally get ready, hope on the bike and then turn her on. Back out of the garage, flash the lights once to close the door and go.

I see a new bike in your future....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 29 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 12:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Very interesting,...I don't think having your bike on fire is a good thing

I have been thinking about getting a fire extinguisher to carry on my bike , & then this thread pops up. So Does anybody pack an extinguisher on there bike, & if you do witch one ? I have been looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PB3GUE/...8280_pe_epc_d5 , But what do I know?

You hear about bike & car fires ever now & then. We were on the E-way in our car a few weeks ago. The traffic had stoped for a bit , & I see smoke coming out a guys car ...a few cars up . The kid scrambled out & got something to put it out...But it could have been bad. When it happens you need something to put it out right now. It doesn't take long it have it burn to the ground... Or to the point it is a total loss

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #26 of 29 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 1:05 pm

The extinguisher you referenced is probably adequate for the job. You should also have a cable cutter so that you can cut the battery cables in the event of an electrical fire. There is a lot of energy stored in one of these batteries and if the origin of the fire is electrical it could re-kindle unless the battery is isolated.

I carry fire extinguishers in both of my 4 wheel vehicles and in 35 years I have only needed it one time. A motorhome parked in the same parking lot had a fuel fire in the on board generator. My little extinguisher put the fire out in an instant saving the motorhome from total destruction.

You need to be able to get to the fire which might mean raising the seat, crouching down in front of the bike, etc. to get to the origin of the fire. It doesn't do any good to squirt a bunch of powder in places that aren't burning!

Practice with the extinguisher (don't actually pull the pin or squeeze the trigger) before you might need it and remember the acronym:

PASS

P ull the pin
A im the extinguisher at the BASE of the fire
S queeze the trigger
S weep from side to side

We are tested on this quarterly and annually in the hospital.

One last thought. If the extinguisher does not quickly put out the fire get away from the damned thing and let it burn to the ground. Much better to let it burn than get hurt trying to fight a fire that could severely injure you. 6 gallons of gas can cause quite a conflagration.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Very interesting,...I don't think having your bike on fire is a good thing

I have been thinking about getting a fire extinguisher to carry on my bike , & then this thread pops up. So Does anybody pack an extinguisher on there bike, & if you do witch one ? I have been looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PB3GUE/...8280_pe_epc_d5 , But what do I know?

You hear about bike & car fires ever now & then. We were on the E-way in our car a few weeks ago. The traffic had stoped for a bit , & I see smoke coming out a guys car ...a few cars up . The kid scrambled out & got something to put it out...But it could have been bad. When it happens you need something to put it out right now. It doesn't take long it have it burn to the ground... Or to the point it is a total loss

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #27 of 29 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
The extinguisher you referenced is probably adequate for the job. You should also have a cable cutter so that you can cut the battery cables in the event of an electrical fire. There is a lot of energy stored in one of these batteries and if the origin of the fire is electrical it could re-kindle unless the battery is isolated.

I carry fire extinguishers in both of my 4 wheel vehicles and in 35 years I have only needed it one time. A motorhome parked in the same parking lot had a fuel fire in the on board generator. My little extinguisher put the fire out in an instant saving the motorhome from total destruction.

You need to be able to get to the fire which might mean raising the seat, crouching down in front of the bike, etc. to get to the origin of the fire. It doesn't do any good to squirt a bunch of powder in places that aren't burning!

Practice with the extinguisher (don't actually pull the pin or squeeze the trigger) before you might need it and remember the acronym:

PASS

P ull the pin
A im the extinguisher at the BASE of the fire
S queeze the trigger
S weep from side to side

We are tested on this quarterly and annually in the hospital.

One last thought. If the extinguisher does not quickly put out the fire get away from the damned thing and let it burn to the ground. Much better to let it burn than get hurt trying to fight a fire that could severely injure you. 6 gallons of gas can cause quite a conflagration.

Loren
Or, ya just stand back, let 'er burn, then head to the dealer to buy that new 1600.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #28 of 29 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Or, ya just stand back, let 'er burn, then head to the dealer to buy that new 1600.
you know... You do have a point there....

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #29 of 29 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 4:47 pm

Loren, That was good information: PASS

Until I took a class several years ago with a local civilian rescue group, I had never used a fire extinguisher. It is great to actually practice on a live fire before you have to, to really understand how they work and what you need to do to be effective.

Hitting the BASE of the fire is critical. Spray on the top, most of the time doesn't work. Letting it burn, unless you are there early, is generally the safest approach, most of the time.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in