Temp rotor cowbell fix - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Temp rotor cowbell fix

I have and 03 LT with the typical loose rattling rear rotor.

I got my nerve up last week and removed the rear wheel and rotor for inspection of the rotor. The wheel came off easily and then 2 screws holding the rotor and I had it in my hand. It was majorly loose and rattly.

I had a tube of Hi Temp RTV silicone (the red stuff). I sat down with a towel on my lap and "pushed" the RTV into the loose spaces around and into the buttons holding the friction surface to the center hub piece. Just like the old days of re-packing wheel bearings. I was carefull to wipe the excess away.

I remounted the rotor and wheel and torqued down properly. Once re-installed, I applied the rear brake to try to center the "Floating" rotor back to where it might be when the brake is applied. Since the RTV takes about 24 hours to fully cure, I periodically rotated the rear tire about 1/3 of a rotation and then re-applied the rear brake to re-center and friction surface to the "Brake apply" position. The rotation with the brake apply was an attempt to keep the rotor centered around rotation as best as I could. I have no idea how long it will last, but it has stopped the cowbell noise entirely and the brakes do not drag, squeak or perform and differently than before.

The whole process took about an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:44 am

Re: Temp rotor cowbell fix

Yea, that will work for awhile, but because RTV is still pretty soft and mushy once cured it will over time get crushed within the tight clearances and again rotor may not rattle, but will become loose.

A product like Sho-Goo / Goop which is a polyurethane product is far stiffer and tougher.

Good job, you will get many miles before having to do it again I'm sure ....

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Sho Goo...
I may have some around the house.
I will try it next time.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek1

The whole process took about an hour.
Yup and has been good for nearly 40K miles so far.

Mike
IBA #433
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Cold weather is upon us here in Utah, the LT is garaged, and soon I'll be tackling some of the fix-up projects on my new-to-me LT. A rememdy for the "cowbell" brake rattle is high on the list.

So....where does one find "sho-goo"? Is that the correct spelling? Are there any other preferred products besides hi-temp RTV silicone.

Thanks, Looking forward to a quieted rear brake!

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #6 of 7 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
Cold weather is upon us here in Utah, the LT is garaged, and soon I'll be tackling some of the fix-up projects on my new-to-me LT. A rememdy for the "cowbell" brake rattle is high on the list.

So....where does one find "sho-goo"? Is that the correct spelling? Are there any other preferred products besides hi-temp RTV silicone.

Thanks, Looking forward to a quieted rear brake!
It and "Goop" are the same product and should be in your local hardware store along with silicone caulking, contact cement and such.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkxYAPB...azinggoop.com/

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 5:44 am

I tried this Shoo Goo fix on my 03LTE. The rattle has stopped but now I have the squeal. I also have new EBS brake shoes. While I'm glad the rattle is gone, the squeal is worse than ever......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in