Windshield Protection - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Windshield Protection

I've had my LT for about a year and always/only used water or mild car wash soap to clean my windshield as BMW recommends. I keep a spray bottle of water near my bike and after every ride, I spray the front end/windshield, walk away and let the bugs dissolve for a while before cleaning. This works well but I wanted to protect the windshield like I protect the paint, especially since it is showing signs of deterioration.

Some people have commented on this site that they use Turtle Wax Ice on the windshield with good results. I was hesitant to do this, but the previous owner always washed the windshield with Windex after every ride and I can see the shield needed help. So, I tried the Ice on it and the fins as well. Wow! I am pleased. It not only smoothed the surfaces and provides protection, it cleared up the fogging. I didn't even realize that the plastic was foggy till I saw the change. I thought that's just the way it looks.

I'm not saying this will have good long term results. However, I think it's worth while for those using this to post updates on how the windshields/fins are doing with this product. So far, it's great.

2000 LTC
Pacific Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:33 am

Re: Windshield Protection

My best results have been with nothing but water and a micro-fibre rag.

Never a fogging problem.

NomDePlume
Paris
السلام عليكم
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 8:33 pm

Re: Windshield Protection

Our BMW dealership sells a cleaner, polish in a spray aerosol can that works great to polish the screen and clean any bugs off it.... and the rest of the fairing. The other day it was humid and for the first time I noticed some fogging around the edges of the screen. This was an area that must not have been hit with the polish/cleaner. Two seconds later after a quick spray and wipe with a soft cloth I was on the road with no fogging with a protected and poish windscreen. http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html

Tom Stachler
Ann Arbor, MI

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey/Magnesium

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in