Super slab trip IA to NY - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:02 am Thread Starter

Super slab trip IA to NY

Leaving Monday morning and due to time constraints will be Superslab all the way. Still, I'm looking forward to it. The LT seems made for that kind of driving as well as the "other" kind. Still, any advice for the trip? things I should bring? Things to look out for? I'm headed to upstate NY an area north of ALbany -- pretty woodsy place.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:34 am

Re: Super slab trip IA to NY

Watch out for deer, tar snakes and speed traps, especially in Ohio.

Else have a good ride.

B D R
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Good advice, especially re the speed traps in Ohio. Thanks.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Bug spray.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Fluids.

On the long slab trips I have taken, water intake whilst motoring down the road is both a hydration necessity and a way to stay refreshed. I have Chicane tank bag with a water bladder. It works well. There are many other acceptable alternatives.

I have to say, that while I would much rather cover the back roads, the LT is an absolute beast on the slab. I think the engineers had expressways in mind when they designed the LT. If time is short, one can maximize the span on the LT. And it makes an otherwise boring drive fun.
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholland
Fluids.

On the long slab trips I have taken, water intake whilst motoring down the road is both a hydration necessity and a way to stay refreshed. I have Chicane tank bag with a water bladder. It works well. There are many other acceptable alternatives.

I have to say, that while I would much rather cover the back roads, the LT is an absolute beast on the slab. I think the engineers had expressways in mind when they designed the LT. If time is short, one can maximize the span on the LT. And it makes an otherwise boring drive fun.
Excellent advice and observation. Thanks.

Greg

post #7 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Greg,

I did it in one day from Cedar Rapids to Syracuse last Sept on a Sunday. Just get an early start, by 6 or before. Keep stops short, use camel back for water, Ezay pass would be nice. NY only charges one half for bikes on the toll I 90. You are late for Americaide. www.tourexpo.com Take your anonymous book.

Jim Schuyler
E. Syracuse, N. Y. 13057
ABATE of N Y, AMA, American Legion Riders, Bikers United Inc., BMWMOA, BMWRA, CMA, HOG, IBMC, MRF, PGR, Red Knights N Y XIV, Retreads, Rounders, vBMWr Riders

1978 R100/7
2000 K1200LT RIP 9-21-08 112,000 miles
2005 K1200LT
2003 Bunkhouse pop-up
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:29 pm

I just came back to CT from Sigourney couple weeks ago... I took I30 through Indiana (use to live in Ft wayne), and I30, 71 and 277 across Ohio... WIDE OPEN slab... lost maybe little more then an hour and still made it to the PA state line in 12 hours.... I80 thru Ohio BORING + the crazys + you miss 2 tolls... thats a fill up

There were more radar in Indiana then Ohio

Correction: 13 hours total time... forgot about the time change to EST

Last edited by doios; Jul 18th, 2008 at 1:51 pm.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:43 pm

Take it easy. Any time you might save by going fast will be offset by the number of fuel stops required. While the LT has got to be the all time slab cruiser, as you turn up the wick, gas mileage REALLY drops. Oh yea, when you go really fast, you lose more time. How much time depends on how fast the cop writes.

Ride safe

Larry
Rochester Hills, MI

05 LT
96 HD Softail
00 HD Wide Glide
07 HD Road King (Cop Bike)
75 Honda 550 (wife's restored baby)
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doios
I just came back to CT from Sigourney couple weeks ago... I took I30 through Indiana (use to live in Ft wayne), and I30, 71 and 277 across Ohio... WIDE OPEN slab... lost maybe little more then an hour and still made it to the PA state line in 12 hours.... I80 thru Ohio BORING + the crazys + you miss 2 tolls... thats a fill up

There were more radar in Indiana then Ohio

Correction: 13 hours total time... forgot about the time change to EST
Cool, Sigourny's not that far from me. Thanks for the report.

Greg

post #11 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter
Take it easy. Any time you might save by going fast will be offset by the number of fuel stops required. While the LT has got to be the all time slab cruiser, as you turn up the wick, gas mileage REALLY drops. Oh yea, when you go really fast, you lose more time. How much time depends on how fast the cop writes.

Ride safe
Good points. I'll keep it just fast enough to keep ahead of the general traffic. Don't like being overtaken by semi's.

Greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in