A strange problem that I really want to solve - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:54 am Thread Starter

A strange problem that I really want to solve

I have 2 bikes; the K1200lt and an old ST1100
The ST is usually my winter commuter and the K12 my long distence holiday bike.

Just put the ST back on the road and immediately felt more confidence than I ever feel on the K12. I can corner faster, use rough rutted roads at speed and relaxed and even overtake more often.

But why?

I have rode the K12 now for almost 6 years and know it well. But it seems to follow ruts in corners so bad that I slow down to a crawl. Tires @ 42/48 seemed to help a bit at first, but not any more.

Just wondering if anyone else felt this after knowing the bike and then worked something out.

Thanks

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:28 am

Re: A strange problem that I really want to solve

I had that problem with the LT when we first bought it (it was down right scary), and almost did not buy another set of Metzler Marathons because of it. The dealer highly recommended another set of the same tires.

The new tires solved the problem of the bike following and not being able to drive out of the ruts. I would never have guessed it was the tires being worn that caused that much of a difference. I run 42/48, 42/50 two up.

4mmF / 5mmR on the tread after just about 4500 miles.

It may not have as smooth of a ride as the RT we briefly owned (you also do not sit straight up on the RT), but overall, it is a much better bike for all conditions and riding we have done so far.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Thanks, but this is with ALL tires and in all conditions. Mez and 020s

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:47 am

Suspension maybe? Plenty of threads discussing replacing the shocks with great results.

Just a thought.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Same problem before and after the new suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
Suspension maybe? Plenty of threads discussing replacing the shocks with great results.

Just a thought.

post #6 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Cookie..
hmmm ya know.. I realized the way my hands move for steering with the LT are far different than with other bikes. What I "learned" was that I was using too much "handlebar input" to keep the bike on track rather than leaning the proper amount.

For example, in a curve/turn, I would actively "steer" the LT... that made for some bad manners.

Now, I try to be very concious that when I am turning, I use the bars ONLY to induce the correct "lean"... and she'll track right on through. I seem to "lean" more than on other bikes to get the LT to corner...

Everyone knows, to "turn" a MC at speed you must lean it.... and that is what I was not allowing to happen.

I know you have no issues with "leaning" bikes... just a thought for you to consider.... it "bit" me..and with the LT's huge lever offered by the long handlebars, it is easy to put a LOT of turning force without noticing.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Cfell
What I am noticing from my vids is that I am contantly correcting my path in a corner, not holding a steady track like I can on my other bike.
Don't get me wrong, i would far prefer to be on the K12 - I went out on the ST this weekend and it was horrendous in the wind!

post #8 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Cookie! Glad you had a blast on the trip! Just for perspective's sake...was your camera mounted on your helmet?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Well, Cookie.. you've rebuilt your bike... is it possible there is some unexpected slack in one of your repairs.. most obvious would be the steering linkage...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 15 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Not touched the steering linkage.
No head cam (K vid is on the handlebar)
The more I think about this the more I think I am relying on feedback from the front end of the ST and of course that is seriously dampened on the K

post #11 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
The more I think about this the more I think I am relying on feedback from the front end of the ST and of course that is seriously dampened on the K
Interesting thought. When I ride I don't rely on any feedback. I follow the old adage of it goes where you point it or rather where you are looking down the road. Same thing for my RT.

I've used countersteering since I learned about it some 20+ years ago. I push out to turn then just follow the lean and look down the road to stay in my position on the road. Sometimes I have to countersteer more or less to maintain that position, but I do it automatically. Until the centerstand (on the LT) scrapes and then I have to lessen my lean angle just a bit.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 6:36 am
cws

Garage

Cookie, what's the weight difference between the LT & the ST1100...???
I'd bet that a large part of your (perceived?) handling difference is taken up by the way the LT can tend to wallow through a corner, as sprightly as we like to think it is... if you happen to get it just a little bit wrong it can take a lot more to pull up or correct before it all goes very nasty...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #13 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:42 am Thread Starter

ST1100 = dry weight 659.2 pounds + fluids = 701 + 443 alowable
= 1144
total alowable weight

K1200lt = dry weight
759 pounds + fluids = 833
=
1321 total alowable weight

So there is scope to ride the ST heavier than the K (and I do). The honest truth is the ST carries it very well. e.g. 130mph 2 up fully OVER loaded - no problems. UNLESS there is a side wind - then you are in trouble the lighter the load the worse it is!

The ST weight is very low compared to the K. It is very easy to stop with just one toe on the ground.

But I can only ride the ST for 2 hours at a time. I have even put Honda ATV bars on it to match the width of the K bars. That was good as going from skinny bars to the K bars was quite odd! I dread to think how the K would be with skinny bars!

post #14 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:46 am

Cookie,

I have found that I needed to loosen my grip on my 07 LT. Try running with a more relaxed grip on the bars and see if that corrects most of the wander in a curve that you experience. I have found that with a more relaxed grip the LT will follow whatever line I set up in a corner but if I am really gripping the bars tightly it will wander badly through the corner.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:50 am

I have the same problem when my front tire gets a flat surface on the cornering edges of the front tire. Look down at the tire so you can see the surface from the overhead position. Is the tire round on the straight up riding position and flat on the cornering position. I know I did a bad job of explaining. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in