Thinking of buying 2000lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:50 am Thread Starter

Thinking of buying 2000lt

I know I am probably opening up a can of worms but, I want to pick up a new to me cruiser(currently riding '87 kawi voyager). Locally there is a 2000lt with 50,000 miles. What should I be looking for, does the 2000 have any unique problems, how many miles should it last? I have been riding Kawi's for 25 years and this would be my first BMW. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:05 am

Re: Thinking of buying 2000lt

Welcome to the group. I have a 2000 LT that I bought new and have put 59,000 enjoyable miles on it.

There were no common issues with that model year, in fact they had several minor modifications from the initial 99 models.

I would look for any available service records. The maintence costs can be high if you have the dealer do everything because of the labor involved in getting the body work off to do things like air and fuel filter replacements. There are good resources on this site for you to learn to do all regular maintence yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined.

If you don't have documentation of recent service it would be a good idea to do a major (24k) service to bring everything up to spec then just enjoy the bike.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:08 am

As long as the maintenance records are there.....It should be a sound bike to own. I have a 2000 and it has been the most maintenance free bike I have ever had. Scheduled maintenance is very important.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:08 am

The miles will go 200,000. Some will tell you to look at the back end and make sure it doesn't move right to left when pulling or pushing on it on the center stand. If you can have them look up the maint. records that is always helpful.

I would search and read the FAQ on the site and you will find that helpful. I have had 2 2000LTs and really no issues with either. Good luck

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:39 am

Garage

Silver 2002's are faster and handle better, and pull bigger wheelies and do 60 mpg on ethanol.........

OK, I'll get my coat.

David

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:57 am

I have a 2000 with 51k on it. Love it. Have had no problems beyond routine maintenance.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #7 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:21 am

We bought a 99LT from a dealer. We had limited access to previous maintenance records, other than the receipts left by previous owners. Nonetheless, we spent over $4k on repairs and services. $1250 the first two weeks for tires and other basic issues. $1350 for new, badly needed shocks which I installed, and just over a month down time to make the repairs in the driveway.

Seems to be a luck of the draw kind of deal with these bikes. I hear some have no issues, others have new or nearly brand new bikes with warranty and still incur a great deal of expense. I have 45k on this.

A lot depends on how it was taken care of before you got it, and how much you are paying.

We knew absolutely nothing about the bike. Just took it for a test ride, and it all SEEMED to be ok. Paid $7500 last Nov., which I thought seemed like a fair price. Many trips to the dealer, a lot of sweat and money. It is the best riding bike of its size I have driven.

Had I any idea what it would cost to maintain this, I never would have bought it. Now that we have it, we would lose half of what we paid for it, to sell it. So, I do what I can and hope it continues to run.

One problem I would have had buying privately would have been the liability had I dropped a privately owned bike during the test drive. I have not been on a bike like this prior to the RT we owned a few weeks before we got this. I dropped that bike in the dealer lot, just after we signed the papers.

At least you have an option to test ride and have some insurance through your credit card company, should there be an issue. We literally missed a large deer by a hair on our test ride, so anything can happen.

I had a receipt for a new battery in May 06 on this bike, so I figured that would last at least a couple years. I just had to replace that two weeks ago. Dealer price just on the battery is $154. Nothing inexpensive taking care of a BMW.

If you can afford to buy it, the bike is excellent!
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:39 am

Not to pooh-pooh the previous poster...but...

I think a certain amount of "realistic expectation" has to be present when looking at buying any used vehicle...much less a 8-10 year old used vehicle that cost nearly 20 grand when new.

The sting of buying a "basket case" bike never really goes away. However, there's a difference between buying a rough bike, versus buying a bike that's going to be due for some programmed maintenance and R&R of consumables (tires, brakes, shocks, etc). All of that stuff is "forseeable" if you do the research and check the bike over (or, if you're not comfortable that you know what you're looking at, taking it to a BMW dealer and dropping the $150 it typically costs to have them do a pre-buy inspection).

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but buying an older, complex bike, and expecting to just throw gas and oil in it and ride...is not a realistic expectation.

I say this from the perspective of a guy who bought a retired RT-P from auction, and then brought it into solid running "daily driver condition" with my sweat and credit cards.

I also say this as a guy who's taking delivery of a new-to-me 2000 K12LT later today!

If you buy a used bike, the cash-register drawer does not slam shut once you pay for the bike. In fact, some would argue that it simply opens an even bigger cash-register drawer.

On the other hand, you could always run out and spent $22K on a brand-spanking new one, have factory warranty, and just go gas, oil, tires, farkles, and programmed services for at least the first 3 years.

God bless those people who do that...they make it possible for me to buy my used bikes years later
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBass
Silver 2002's are faster and handle better... David
I gotta agree with this post.

The LT is just about bullet proof.
Sure there are few who will disagree.
But I think you will find the majority of people approve of their LT purchase.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 3:43 pm

I have just positive experiences with my 2000 LT. I bought it 3 years ago. Not having any info about backround. Some 20.000 km driven.

I have changed oils, spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, filters, tyres and battery. And I have been adding fuel. After some 16000 km more no additional costs at all. Except that this spring I needed a new battery again. But what a super machine!

Only complicated issue might be electronics. Would be reasonable to go to dealer shop and check what MoDiTec tells about the bike. There might be something. Or nothing.

I would not consider longer. Just buy it. Most likely you will love it!

Regards
Leiboshi
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBass
Silver 2002's are faster and handle better, and pull bigger wheelies and do 60 mpg on ethanol.........

OK, I'll get my coat.

David
David...You missed it by thissss much!

The BLACK '02 are the fastest
It is well documented
LOL

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 5:29 pm

I have a '99 LT I bought 3 years ago with 9,000 miles on it. I'm at 59,000 miles now.

I haven't had any mechanical failures, but some things have needed replacing (shocks, brake lines, brake rotor) and I have done those pro-actively as needed just like I do on my other vehicles. I have spent more maintaining this bike than I did my 2003 Honda nighthawk, but I haven't had to clean and lube the chain yet

It's been reliable for me. It's not the cheapest bike I could ride, but I'm happy with it. One of the nice things about it is that it's different from the other 99% of bikes on the road.

If yours is in good shape have the dealer change all the fluids first after buying and then you can do most of it yourself.

Good luck.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:51 pm

What color is it. If this is the kind of bike you know you want you won't be
disapointed. I bought a 2000lt 3yrs ago. 25k later with no issues. I rode my brothers 90 fatboy last week it felt like something left over from the Flintstones after riding the lt. I do all my general maint, its not hard and the
info's here. I ride mine to work most every day. The top heavy part is worst
with pass and loaded down other wise I don't think its bad. But there is a little ajustment at 1st as it is a big bike, Good luck Bernie
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:38 pm

Got my 99 with 34Kmiles off Ebay . Had the factory low "torture" seat and a dead O2 sensor ,asked seller a few questions ,sent the $500 deposit . Drove 550miles to pick it up. 25K miles and the only problem has been the starter relay sticking .
Quality ,fit and finish BMW's take a back seat to no bike
You cold not get me off this bike with a club!
All the maintenance information you will need is right here on this site
It is said that free advice is worth just what you paid for it but that is not true here at BMWLT.COM

Bob G
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:52 am

Strap your computer on your passenger seat and drive to the nearest dump and deposit it there. Ride off into the sunset on your Kawi.............before you get bit!.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 7:54 pm

I just went this myself, bought a 2000 LT a couple months back.
Bike had 69,000 miles. Have 72,000 on it now, no problems.

Couple of suggestions:
Make sure it hits the bottom of the depreciation curve pricing. Say $6,500 max. I paid $5,500. We started at $7g

Regarding mileage, I wasnt too worried. These bikes are designed to go a long ways and 50,000 is nothing. Now a Harley you are getting into the late part of life. Same with Goldwings,, even 100,000 miles is nothing.

Take a look at the records to be certain oil changes were regular, service records, etc. I would check EVERY function on that bike, crank up the radio check for speaker cracking sounds.. Check brakes, all lights, cruise, hand and seat warmers to be certain this all works. Check Reverse, fearing agistment, shocks over a bump.. Ride the bike and listen carefully to anything that doesnt sound right. IF ANY THING is wrong with this bike and I mean anything other than a paint scratch,, start with price agistment. The reason it isnt fixed already is due to cost. These are high maintenance bikes and costly to repair.. A broken mirror or cut seat will blow you away. Try to do as much service at home as possible. This forum is great for assistance.

You will love the feel, look and handling of the bike. It performs awesome, with plenty of storage. First two days I owned it put on nearly 1500 miles and felt good afterwards. A Harley owner couldnt believe it.. The iron butt patch is for school girls wearing sandals on their way to buy a new sundress. Good touring bike.
[I]

post #17 of 17 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 8:22 pm

see my post here about a 99--same info applies to the 00 except the 00 came with a wiring harness for heated seats.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40520

If you are coming from another kind of bike, you'll probably not notice how smooth the LT corners, even when you hit a bump, cause you don't have to react to the bump.

Bob, Leaky 00

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in