Using power centerstand with applied brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:16 am Thread Starter

Using power centerstand with applied brakes

Gents, ladies,

If I want to use the power centerstand of my '09 LT, it has to be done without you touching ANYTHING except the little button for the centerstand. What if I am slightly uphill... I want to prevent the bike from rolling backwards by keeping the brakes applied, but then the centerstand will retract.

Is there any hack I can apply to get this to work? Or is this just factory default stupidity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:39 am

Re: Using power centerstand with applied brakes

Although I don't have the powered cc I can hold the bike on a hill without the brakes by standing fully up and jamming my shins against the plastic in frount of the legs. Helps if you have tall boots like Sidi.
hth

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Although I don't have the powered cc I can hold the bike on a hill without the brakes by standing fully up and jamming my shins against the plastic in frount of the legs. Helps if you have tall boots like Sidi.
hth
I do exactly that at the mo... But keeping the 390 kg (sorry, metric) bike against my boots isn't really my first choice...

Then again, a bit more uphill, and there's no way you can get her OFF the centerstand, because she is leaning too much backwards

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:49 am
cws

Garage

Its designed to allow the bike to roll back slightly as the stand lifts the bike, hence you can't have the brakes on.
Not a big deal, I have to hold the weight of the bike every time I park at work, and again at home, both are on slight ramps. Just stand up with the brakes on and brace the weight of the bike with your legs/crutch (my kids are grown up, so no plans to have any more... ), let go of the hand brake and press the button. It only takes a few seconds, as soon as you feel the 2 sides of the stand level the bike and the the stand starts to grab, you can release the weight of the bike and let it roll back & up....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:17 am

As I am still learning, be careful putting the bike on the center stand on an uphill grade. Make sure you have good footing and enough "umph" to get it back off the center stand. She might be nimble while rolling, but she's dead weight at a stop!
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 10:30 am

If the hill is too steep to hold the bike you might not get it off the stand once you get it up.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Ditto above comments. Wedge yourself and hold the bike firm until the centerstand touches down. If the incline is too great, good indication you may have difficulties getting it off.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in