LT Reverse distance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:26 am Thread Starter

LT Reverse distance

Hi all,
Anyone know what sort of distance the reverse gear can be used. Obviously it draws quite high current from the starter which will get hot over a period of time. Starter motor windings are quite fragile and as my drive down to my garage is quite narrow, I have to reverse along it to the garage for about 20 yds each time I get home. This seems to me to be an excessive distance to use the reverse function. I presume that the function was intended really to reverse small distances whilst backing out of parking slots etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:42 am

Reverse failures

I dont' remember hearding of anyone's reverse failing from overuse. People have reported problems with the reverse engaging for only a limited distance; problem was a bad controller or disconnected wire.

I'd say don't worry about it, just ride it (backwards).

Or how about a turntable. Recent thread discussed how to pivot the bike 180 degrees on the centerstand or on a turntable. Maybe this would allow you to spend less time in reverse.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=turntable

HTH
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 6:50 am

I seems to recall in the archives reading the reverser circuit had a thermal cut out if left reversing too long.
if the wires in the starter are as thick as the alternator, then the wires in the starter are not going to destroy them self in a big hurry.

Every time i go for a ride i back up my lite truck for around 20 yards as well, it has never shown any signs of hesitation yet.

touch wood

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 7:18 am

I have the same problem as Hitman, a very narrow driveway leading to the narrow garage and I also have to reverse for about 20 yards. I read that the reverse gear action should not be used for more than 1 minute at a time so as not to overheat the components. Until I get a turntable sorted, I reverse mine half way out, then don helmet and gloves Etc. then reverse the remaining distance. Not ideal, but until I find or make a decent turntable, it will have to do.
A friend of mine made a crude turntable built into his driveway. He sunk an old scrap car hub into the driveway, bolted on a steel wheel, then a plate on top of that, surrounded it all with neat monoblock bricks and hey presto a working turntable for under 10. Only problem he has is the space filling with water, he reckons it would be easier to change the hub when it rusts rather than try and waterproof it. So i'm now thinking along those lines as well.
post #5 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malki
Not ideal, but until I find or make a decent turntable, it will have to do.
A friend of mine made a crude turntable built into his driveway.
When I worked on airplanes one of the checks was the operation of the nosewheel steering. We used a very simple devise to make it possible to check. We'd roll the nosewheel(s) onto 2 thin metal plates with grease between them. It worked great even for planes that weighed several tons. I could see using the same principle under the mainstand of an LT. Only thing I'd do differently would be to sink an anchor bolt through the center of the greased plates into my garage floor to hold them together and keep them from sliding off one another. I would think that with some downward pressure on the rear, you'd be able to spin the bike around in place pretty easily.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 9:16 am Thread Starter

It always amazes me the great info you get in a very short time when posting on this forum..Thanks guys. My garage is like everyone else in the UK I think. It should be called a storeroom! So I have no room in the garage to swing a cat let alone the LT The grease plate idea sounds intreaging. Bolted to the driveway just outside the garage I could drive down to that and spin on it before reversing the last few feet into the garage. The hub is another though as it will be less likely to jam up with sand and grit etc. Looks like a job for the spring.
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 9:27 am

Garage
I'm one of those who experienced the reverse gear "distance limiter." I made a wrong decision on the highway once and tried to be sneaky and turn around where I wasn't supposed to. Long story short is that while backing up on the emergency lane pretending to be on my cell phone, after about 100 feet, reverse just quit. It then would only move in spurts. I realized I probably tripped the heat protector of the starter and used my feet the rest of the way like Fred Flintsone. Since that episode over a year ago, I have not had any problems with the reverse gear, nor have I attempted the same stupid maneuver. It's amazing to what lengths one will go to avoid sitting in a traffic jam

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:31 am

I agree with Mikes turntable idea, and actually bought one when I had a Honda CBR1000F. It was made by the British Turntable Co. Ltd. http://www.driveawaymat.co.uk/7.html
and comes in 35cm and 45cm variations.
Unfortunately it is made of some sort of plastic or nylon with a flimsy rubber cover which was destroyed on the first use. The centre stand just ripped the rubber cover right off on the first swing. I was using it on an uneven garage floor, slightly rippled, so that was the problem. I repaired it and used it on a very thin sheet of steel and it work OK, JUST!
A clever idea and not expensive, but just not up to the job for an LT. would be far superior if made from alloy or steel and would not be as susceptible to uneven garage floors like the one I bought.
This subject has been discussed before in here, and somebody suggested steel plates, with a 'Lazy Susan' bearing. Might be worth a search in here on lazy susan, but I doubt if these are readily available in the UK, but I'm sure there is something out there.
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Boy What's this site coming to. YOU STOLE MY AVATAR!

Carl

Euclid, Ohio
2003 Silver LTE
1971 HD XLH Sportster
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 11:07 pm

Reverse

Flat-rate labor for a starter motor is 12.4 hours, the starter is $497. DAMHIK. You do the math.
post #11 of 11 Old Dec 30th, 2005, 11:39 pm

Unhappy

I have owned my K1200LT for about 16 months,and the reverse function stopped working about 2 months ago.
The local dealer says a new part is needed.
Thankfully it's a warranty job,but I hardly use reverse and then only on level ground.
This seems to be a design flaw folks.
Cheers Errol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in