front end wobble - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

front end wobble

Advice?
Has anybody needed to persue the Lemon Law when it came to the front end wobble at 40mph. My dealer has had the bike several times, replaced the tire, balanced the wheel, and finally replaced the triple head mount and still the wobble is there. Not sure what is next and I am waiting to here from the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: front end wobble

Has he replaced BOTH tires? Have you checked that they are not out of round? A rear tire fault can cause the wobble as well. It would be hard pressed to impose the lemon law by saying "When I let go of the bars with both hands it..."

Over the last four years and several sets of tires my wobble has come and gone with tire wear and replacement. Balance is very critical as I had mine return after 5,000 miles and I removed my front tire to install a smart tire system and re-balanced it - wobble is now gone again.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:17 pm

I just recently saw an ad for "balancing beads". Supposedly these beat all the balance problems. You unscrew the valve stem and pour them in.

anybody know about these?

Syd
Dallas, Texas
'05 K1200LT Graphite ( Big E's former ride )

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydvicioustx
I just recently saw an ad for "balancing beads". Supposedly these beat all the balance problems. You unscrew the valve stem and pour them in.

anybody know about these?
Just a quick search on "Dyna Beads" came up with 17 threads on the topic. I don't think there has been much negative about 'em.

Click here for a start of the threads.
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:54 pm

Please read this ENTIRELY and look carefully at the PICTURES before you get your panties in a wad.

(man, I really love that saying...)

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

After you read this go out and buy two BRAND NEW TIRES and keep them at 42 front and 48 rear all the time and you will NEVER have to worry about the wobbles again. Also refrain from making left turns.

This means you need to check them every time before you ride with a quality tire gauge. While you are at it give them a quick spin and look for nails, bulges, etc.

BONUS: You'll get double the mileage from your tires that you would get without checking them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:08 am

As usual, all the input from you "senior members" is right on. I experienced "the wobble" starting around 3,000 miles when my LT was new. By the time I found The Forum it was already too late, the front tire was starting to hopelessly cup and wobbled severly if I took my hands off at >50 mph. I was running 38 psi like my owner's manual said. I upped the pressures when I found the posts and managed 9,000 out of the front tire. 42f & 48r for sure from there on. Much better handling out of the new Bridgestone when it went on and kept at proper inflation. You guys are awesome.

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:08 am

I had a very slight wobble on my LT which could only be detected when removing all contact with handlebar (not recommended). The dealer did indicate this is common on these bikes and some LTs experience this worse than others. However I recently had new rubber put on both the front and rear and holy sheep, no more wobble - at all.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: front end wobble

I have 66,000 miles on my '05 and the wobble has been there almost from the start. New tires, no change. 42 & 48lbs., no change. It takes only hundreds of miles on a new set for the wobble to start up. Balancing Beads, no change. I quit the beads and got a Mark Parnes balancer, no change but I like it!

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Don't give up Benton, one of these days you will get a good set of tires!

I went through two brand new tires that were slightly out of round and no amount of balancing would eliminte the wobble. I finally got a good front tire and it has been a wonderful 13K miles with no wobble.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:08 am
cws

Garage

+1 on what John says.. he kept nagging me (on the forum ) that it was tyres when I kept complaining, even after I'd put one new set on and had the steering damper changed and still had the problem,... well, 18,000km later and he was right.. eventually another new front, well balanced... no more wobble... boy was I relieved

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:47 am

Benton,

I see your profile says Ocean, NC. Where down there? WE're going to be riding to outer banks last week of the month. You close?

Anyway, back to topic, since you live in NC, have you checked which side of the tires is cupping? If it's the left, could be due to the crown of the road, which is pretty high in NC. Just a thought.....

Randy
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:38 am

My '03 did it once, very breifly and very violently as I was slowing to under 40 on badly weathered asphalt. Little over 20k on the original front tire which was cupped.

New tire and its not done it since.

B D R
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:04 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
+1 on what John says.. he kept nagging me (on the forum ) that it was tyres when I kept complaining, even after I'd put one new set on and had the steering damper changed and still had the problem,... well, 18,000km later and he was right.. eventually another new front, well balanced... no more wobble... boy was I relieved
Thanks Chris, nice to my efforts are appreciated. I had one that returned on the same tire, then go away after removing and remounting the front after installing a Smartire system. May pay to re-balance at mid life or use those silly beads.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 18 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:49 am

Jay/anyone?

I too have the same head shake, but it is an on again/off again without touching the tire.

It is also only at or around 40 mph in 3rd when it occurs.

I tend to believe that it is tire related - I did not always have the wobble.

Any idea why it would occur intermitently?

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

I think there is an important point to state regarding the famous wobble of the LT. Although the wobble is much more pronounced with hands off of the bar, taking your hands off of the bars is not the point. There is no cause and effect. taking hands off does not cause the problem. You can feel the wobble with hands on. Not all gripping pressures are the same
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 2:45 am

Is it possible that the tyre is not sitting straight on the rim in some of these cases? I see that changing the tyre seems to help, but is it the tyre, or the reseating?

I know some tyres are supposed to be fitted with a marker nearest the valve. If that is not aligned, maybe that could be an issue.

I think if I had the problem (I don't) then I would take the tyres off one by one and seat them a few degrees off the original position.

If I am spouting crap I apologise but I'm not a happy bunny today. 'Er indoors has just informed me that she will not go out on the bike today because it looks like it MIGHT rain. This is England for heaven's sake. We are going into Wales where it ALWAYS rains. :-) Never mind, it will give the car a run, just need to find a loan shark now to get the petrol money.

Just pussin' through.
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 5:47 am

Well I have to chime in here. My 06 did not develop a wobble until it hit around 6,300 miles. Since then it has never gone away. I just got it back back from the shop for the 24k service where they replace the steering head and it's still there. I have had 4 tires on the front and 3 on the rear in the past 24k miles. I have had 880's and 020's and a COMBINATION of these between front and rear. Since I bought the bike I have run 42psi front and 48 psi rear. I have checked the "roundness" of the tires after installation. I watch a tech remount the same front tire 5 times to get the weight required to balance the tire to one each .5 OZ weight. I have had the front spring replaced and just recently I had a new head put on the bike (BMW Part) to change the rake on the front end back to the pre 04's.

YOU GUESSED IT! The front end wobble is still there. It's only at 39 mph to 43 mph per the GPS unit. I'm going to put one more new set of ME 880's on the bike and balance them as close to perfect as possible. If that doesn't work you know the bike is going to start cupping the front tire. When that happens the LT will history.

Truly the wobble does not bother me that much because it only happens when you have no "input" control on the handlebars. However as the wobble continues the cupping progresses. It does get worse and before too long you feel the vibration in the bike and the handle bars. No matter what anyone thinks, I do not think a bike of the calibre and price should have this type of handling problem.

As for the Lemon Law I do not think BMW will let that happen. There are just too many variables involved, plus if you can "control" the shake by keeping your hands on the grips you will be hard pressed to to convince a court that it's dangerous because your are riding with you hand off the grips and have "no input" or control over the bike.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #18 of 18 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 6:26 am

Hi!
Everyone is speaking about tires, but have you checked also steering damper. It migth be defect as well. No doubt, both tires have much to do with wobble, but steering damper should avoid it in any case.

I had wobble as well, but it went away after I maintained my steering damper. Maintain means new oil in and new seals. Normally you do not need to do this work, but I felt that some oil was missing from it. Now it works perfectly.

I think that every dealer will change damper instead of maintaining it. Even BMW does not give any spare part number for seals, thus they are very common seals.

Regards
Leiboshi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in