Another LT deal - opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Another LT deal - opinions

All,

So the 2005 LT went home to someone else. It was a good deal, but apparently not meant to be.

Now looking at a 2000 LT Icon with 29K miles. Looks to be in decent shape...haven't had the chance to extensively poke and prod.

Dealer is at NADA average book ($7,000) plus tax and tags.

All of the standard "get the bike checked over" issues aside, any thoughts on the deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 5:37 pm

Re: Another LT deal - opinions

Looks like a good price...but without seeing, touching ,and driving it who really knows....You say this selling from a dealer? does he have the service records from it? will they do your 30k service before the purchase it?

Like i said the price sounds good and it does not have alot of miles....but that only tells a small part of the story.....dig in with both hands and get all the information you can get before you make a decision....good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #3 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:54 pm

That's a decent price for this time of year. If you wait a little, like december, you could get it a little cheaper.

Also, with taxes, some states will charge you taxes based on the bill of sale, not the book value. On my bill of sale I put $200, so I made almost no taxes. Check w your DMV to see how they tax you, if thats the case don't register the bike from the dealer.

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:14 am

Depending on condition, sounds like a deal. I've put 18k on my '99 since Feb 07 and have not had 1, single, solitary problem (or even two or several, for that matter). Do your own maintenance to save $$$$$$, otherwise, maintenance is expensive.

I'd say, "Buy." If you want to get a salvaged bike and title, I think the '06 on ebay would have been about $10k after repairs.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 6:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
That's a decent price for this time of year. If you wait a little, like december, you could get it a little cheaper.
He's in Arizona. I'm betting this is the best time to buy out there, with the temps and all.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #6 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 6:32 am Thread Starter

We actually do get a dip in prices in the dead of our "winter" (which means daytime temps are 30s to 50s - some of you are rolling on the floor laughing) - but the summer is fairly brutal, and a lot of people will only ride in the early mornings right now.

Since this is from a dealer they have to report and collect the proper tax. AZ is not as flexible as other states (like CA) with regard to this. On the other hand, no tax is collected on private-party transactions like it is in CA. I once had the opportunity to mis-report the price to beat CA's used-vehicle tax hit...but I'm just too honest

There is a certain appeal to the 2000 over newer bikes in the simplicity of the systems (compared to the 05 and above bike), and the fact that I already own and wrench on a 2000 RT-P...similar electrics, same ABS2 system, etc. While it seems that people still do their own maint on the newer bikes, it looks to be significantly trickier in some areas.

On top of that, I shouldn't have to go through as much acquisition of special tools and gear, since I spent a small fortune kitting up to maintain the RT, and already have the battery tender, Nm torque wrenches, hex keys, etc.

I've scanned to forum already to better understand the model year differences, and don't see any particular red-flags on the 2000s yet. Anyone have strong feelings for or against this vintage?
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpilot06
Anyone have strong feelings for or against this vintage?
I like the independent ABS system (vs linked/integrated), cheaper insurance, and, of course, cheaper price.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno

Also, with taxes, some states will charge you taxes based on the bill of sale, not the book value. On my bill of sale I put $200, so I made almost no taxes. Check w your DMV to see how they tax you, if thats the case don't register the bike from the dealer.
TAX FRAUD!!! YOU BETTER HOPE THAT THEY NEVER CHECK YOUR BILL OF SALE WITH KBB. AND WHY POST IT ON A PUBLIC BOARD?

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
TAX FRAUD!!! YOU BETTER HOPE THAT THEY NEVER CHECK YOUR BILL OF SALE WITH KBB. AND WHY POST IT ON A PUBLIC BOARD?
He's from NY!

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdavey
He's from NY!
Yeah, and in finance.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #11 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Texas "fixed" that little "loophole"....now you pay what THEY say it's worth. Robbing you every time it's "sold"......
.... AGAIN.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:40 pm

How'd u know I was in finance???
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:18 am

Quote:
-------------
Since this is from a dealer they have to report and collect the proper tax. AZ is not as flexible as other states (like CA) with regard to this. On the other hand, no tax is collected on private-party transactions like it is in CA. I once had the opportunity to mis-report the price to beat CA's used-vehicle tax hit...but I'm just too honest -------------------------
I did not find CA to be very flexible at all! I actually did buy a car once at a VERY good price, but when I went to register it, the clerk looked the car up on her computer and taxed me based on the computer's value, NOT my bill of sale. She said that if the bill of sale is too far below the computer stated value, you pay on the higher value. Too many people cheating them, so they closed the loophole.

And you cannot register a vehicle in CA without paying the tax, either before, with reciept from the state, or at registration.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:47 am

Sounds like a pretty good price.

When you pause to think about it; what other motorcycle for 7K in nice condition would even come CLOSE to being as great a bike as the LT is?

post #15 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Indeed. Barring unforseen and evil circumstance, she's coming home to join the RT-P in the 3rd bay of my garage tonight!
post #16 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
Yeah, and in finance.
Hmmm?

Lives in NY.
His occupation is finance.
Has practiced and advises TAX FRAUD.
Believes cheating is ok.

Just the kinda guy we want on this board.
The kind I pay for everytime I buy something.

Back on thread...................
Quote:
Indeed. Barring unforseen and evil circumstance, she's coming home to join the RT-P in the 3rd bay of my garage tonight!
Hope you enjoy your LT as much as I do.
I paid $1,381.00 in sales tax.
I sleep very well at night.

Ride safe, ride smart, you're invisible; NOT invincible.

2016 R1200RTW Bronze

Before:
2009 K1200LT
2006 K1200GT
2004 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
1980 R100RT

Last edited by ltdavey; Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:22 pm.
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Hmm. I didn't pay a dime in taxes, and I think the 4 year license was $30 or so... Spoiled?? Yes & lovin it...

I really like the '05 and newer bikes. For me, I wouldn't look at anything older. Finally, low miles sometimes isn't a good thing. Has the bike been sitting for a while? Hiway miles??

Anyway, a paid looksee by a good wrench is worth every nickel!!
post #18 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Well, the 2000 LT came home tonight, and she's currently cozied up in the barn next to her German cop-sister.

I swear I heard someone say "Wie geht es Ihnen?" as I was closing the garage door...
post #19 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 12:37 am
KIC

Wish I had seen your first post. Mines for sale "just down the street" after dealer costs and taxes...mine could have been a deal.

http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...ate/1198508784

Oh well.... I'll find somebody else that will take good care of her.

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 3:07 am

Just my personal opinion, too old with too few miles unless you are a pretty good wrench. Age related problems such as leaky seals and gaskets are going to happen.

Gary T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in