Another oil question, Yes I searched! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Another oil question, Yes I searched!

I have searched the threads and can not find an answer to the question of oil level.

Is the oil checked cold? bike level on the center stand? should it be to the middle of the site glass?

Forgive the stupidity but every other bike I have owned had a dipstick for the oil level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: Another oil question, Yes I searched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit_Rider
I have searched the threads and can not find an answer to the question of oil level.

Is the oil checked cold? bike level on the center stand? should it be to the middle of the site glass?

Forgive the stupidity but every other bike I have owned had a dipstick for the oil level.
I usually never get involved in an oil thread, unless the dementia is really rawking that day. BUT, how can I not answer a person who's license plate is kng prv?

If the bike is on the center stand, the oil level will be at the top of the glass.

On the side stand it will be in the center.

It really doesn't matter hot or cold, but if hot, let it sit for a few to let the oil filter down.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, I know it sounded like dumb stuff to ask but what the heck. If you dont know ask.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Thanks, I know it sounded like dumb stuff to ask but what the heck. If you dont know ask.
And to add to what Grif mentioned as full readings,

the minimums are center of sight glass on center stand and bottom of sight glass on side stand.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:20 pm

On the 2007 LT the owners manual says engine at operating temperature, on the center stand and the level is Max - top of sight glass, Min - Bottom of sight glass. Allow 5 miniutes after stopping the engine and placing the bike on the center stand for the oil to drain back.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriach
On the 2007 LT the owners manual says engine at operating temperature, on the center stand and the level is Max - top of sight glass, Min - Bottom of sight glass. Allow 5 miniutes after stopping the engine and placing the bike on the center stand for the oil to drain back.

Ken
Thanks all,
I knew you guys would have the information!!!

I am still working on making the bike comfortable to ride, on my recent trip after ~100 miles my knees would start to hurt. I have lowered floor boards on the way and I am looking for cruise pegs. Right now I am not sure which ones to go with though.
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriach

Ken
You know, I think it does say that. But if I remember correctly, it also says the bottom is the minimum on the side stand as well. Since on the side stand and on the center stand are certainly 2 different readings, I believe a misprint is in order. There is usually, on level ground, a half bubble difference between center and side stand.

If one ran the level at the bottom of the sight glass in all cases, they may risk not knowing how much oil is really in the sump.

Edit On - Geez - even the oil level has to be ambigous Got me doubting things so rechecked my manual, Clymer, and BMW CD manual. All agree bottom of the glass on centerstand. My owners manual does say, bottom of glass on both stands, what's up with that? The Clymer goes so far as to state, "early LT's had a reference for checking on the side stand, but we will only consider the centerstand here."

So I stand corrected as, let it ride until the bottom of the glass. I must have read the owners manual once and got it in my mind that the half bubble difference was the way to go regardless of the ambiguity. After many oil changes, the half bubble rule does apply center to side stand on level surface.

So the newer owners manuals just leave out the side stand check, huh?

No wonder you had to ask

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Last edited by bowlesj; Jul 16th, 2008 at 9:09 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:28 pm

John, all these posts just cornfused me

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttwannabe
John, all these posts just cornfused me

Yerrrrr welcome.

It was just too simple of a question to let go quietly.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Quote:
I am still working on making the bike comfortable to ride, on my recent trip after ~100 miles my knees would start to hurt. I have lowered floor boards on the way and I am looking for cruise pegs. Right now I am not sure which ones to go with though.
Hi!

My knees hurt too at first, and I found myself shifting my feet around the footpegs every 20 minutes or so for probably the first 3-4k miles of riding. Since then, my knees have never bothered me, and I rarely change foot position on the pegs at all. YMMV, but to anyone new to the bike, the riding position may take some time to get used to depending on what style of bike you're coming from. Similar experience with the seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in