Helmet locks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Helmet locks

Has anyone used an aftermarket helmet lock with their LT? I have a 2007 and am looking at the ZTechnik Z5505 and the cyclegadgets Helmet Guardian. It isn't clear that the Helmet Guardian will fit the LT and when I inquired at cyclegadgets the answer was not definitive either. The ZTechnik looks for sure to fit an LT, but it appears that each lock has its own key and I really don't want to have to mess with two keys. It is bad enough that I can't get a lock that uses the same key as the rest of the bike.

Are there any other helmet lock solutions that you have found useful and better than the stock cable under the seat option?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:04 pm

Re: Helmet locks

Here's the solution I came up with for $10.50 each for the locks - but you need to buy Eagle One armrests to complete the picture. I especially like the location since I can put my full cover on as well and keep rain, dirt, etc. off the helmets. I never really cared that much for the option on the license plate frame - a lot of grit back there...

I didn't look around very much, but I'll bet there's several places you could hard mount the locks directly on the tupperware...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=ghetto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 15th, 2008 at 6:12 pm.
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Here's the solution I came up with for $10.50 each for the locks - but you need to buy Eagle One armrests to complete the picture. I especially like the location since I can put my full cover on as well.

I didn't look around very much, but I'll bet there's several places you could hard mount the locks on the tupperware...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=ghetto
I did one better... Two locks, 4.95 total (plus CA tax) and they lock the helmet to the XL J-pegs...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
I did one better... Two locks, 4.95 total (plus CA tax) and they lock the helmet to the XL J-pegs...
I got BURNED by JC Whitney!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:16 pm

I have a Helmet Guardian that I used on my Triumph Trophy. I don't know that it will fit on the LT -never tried it.

I do know that on the Trophy's plastic rear flap, the weight of the Helmet Guardian alone caused cracking at the license plate bolt holes and caused them to spread rapidly. That certainly may relate to the material used on the Trophy or the specifics of it's design, but after I got done stop drilling about a dozen cracks and epoxying a reinforcement behind the plate area, I wasn't willing to try it on another bike.

YMMV
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:22 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

My LT came with this 3 foot long cable that is under the seat and is hooked to a metal loop on the frame. I lift the seat put wire threw the helmet, rehook the wire to the loop and close the seat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	18718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	18719  

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:00 pm

I use Helmet Guardians on my both LTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Has anyone used an aftermarket helmet lock with their LT? I have a 2007 and am looking at the ZTechnik Z5505 and the cyclegadgets Helmet Guardian. It isn't clear that the Helmet Guardian will fit the LT and when I inquired at cyclegadgets the answer was not definitive either. The ZTechnik looks for sure to fit an LT, but it appears that each lock has its own key and I really don't want to have to mess with two keys. It is bad enough that I can't get a lock that uses the same key as the rest of the bike.

Are there any other helmet lock solutions that you have found useful and better than the stock cable under the seat option?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:20 pm

I installed the Ztechnik helmet lock http://www.ztechnik.com/products/html/Z5505R.html on my 02 LT. Didn't like how low it hung the helmet so I inverted it and have been very happy ever since.

Mr Rick
"12" R12RT
"02" LT-C "Titan Silver"
"74" R90/6 "Black"
"86" Suzuki Calvacade 1400 (sold)
"73" Kawasaki 900 Z1A (sold)
"76" Kawasaki kz 750 (sold)
"69" Honda CB 350 (sold)
"66" Honda 305 Scrambler (unknown)
Gillette, N.J. (Exit 40)

post #9 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
I use Helmet Guardians on my both LTs.
Matt,

Do you have pictures of how the installation looks?

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrick
I installed the Ztechnik helmet lock http://www.ztechnik.com/products/html/Z5505R.html on my 02 LT. Didn't like how low it hung the helmet so I inverted it and have been very happy ever since.
Mr. Rick,

Same question as for Matt: do you perhaps have a picture of the inverted mount on your LT? Also, are the key codes different for each of the locks?

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #11 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:24 pm

I have gaurdian on my 09 LT and I will try to post pics tomorrow night (7-16-08) after I get home from my 600 mile service. Yes they can get crudy if your traveling in the rain and stuff, but when I clean off the cra off the back of the bike, I shoot a touch of WD-40 into the lock. Hope it keeps internal guts from corroding and such.
post #12 of 20 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDsgt
I shoot a touch of WD-40 into the lock. Hope it keeps internal guts from corroding and such.
Just an FYI, WD-40 is a water displacer. It doesn't perform any long term lubrication. If you want that, shoot some oil in there. I use Tri-Lube on all my locks, but couldn't say how well it would do in a dirty/watery environment.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 5:06 am

Garage

Right on about the WD Arthur but I got a tip from a locksmith that "Graphite" is the best for weather facing locks!
Bought in a tube, push it past the key door and squeeze a little, it's lasted me bout five years.

Sam

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:50 am

Is this what you're asking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	18721  
post #15 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Other than the color of the bike and license plate, that's what mine looks like too.

I'm thinking about relocating it though because I don't like how close my helmet hangs to the exhaust pipe. (And if you took out the two screws that hold the mud flap on to the bike, the plate and locks come off too.)

This post is what I'm thinking will work pretty well as soon as I get the courage to drill into the body work!

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #16 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Yes, thank you!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #17 of 20 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Same as fpmlt. I didn't use the bolts that came with the kit. Replaced them with longer tamper-proof hex bolts, locking washers, stainless steel nuts, and some red loctight (total cost was 3 bucks at Auto zone).

If I'm alone I only use the right side lock. I like my Nolans to much to put it near that hot pipe even once. When I ride two up, we big our helmets inside. Our use the lock after she cools down. Its a nice option to have if you have full bags and really don't want to carry the helmets down to the beach after a nice ride.

I would never leave my helmets on the lock over night out. Its very easy to just cut the chin strap on a high ticket helmet and buy a replacement chin strap. I have seen one drunk guy even use a upturned locked helmet to relieve himself outside a bar. Now that would be an real pissah!

2005 LT- Dream Girl
2003 Honda Shadow
post #18 of 20 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:48 am

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31112

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #19 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:01 am

Hi, I know I am just a junior member, but I was more concerned with all the stuff in the helmet; head phones, mike, eye radar alert, cords, etc. so I opted for the Lidsafe, (or pacsafe), secure helmet bag. They are available through A&S or from www.pac-safe.com . Les
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 1:33 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesKloppenburg
Hi, I know I am just a junior member, but I was more concerned with all the stuff in the helmet; head phones, mike, eye radar alert, cords, etc. so I opted for the Lidsafe, (or pacsafe), secure helmet bag. They are available through A&S or from www.pac-safe.com . Les
I got an error on the above url, but it seems to work fine if you omit the dash.

Matt

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in