Finally it happened - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Finally it happened

I have been owning and riding my new (to me) LT for the last 3 weeks without any incident but with the fear of having it tip over after having read so many bad stories about it. Well it finally happened this evening. I parked it on the side stand outside of a Barnes & Noble. Went there for a about 20mns and when I came back the bike was laying on its left side. Not sure what exactly happened as I never before has any of my bikes tipped over on their own. I tried to pick it up using the technic describes on youtube for this bike but there was no way I could lift this monster alone. Fortunately I eventually got some help. I could verify that the side bumpers work well as there was almost no damage other than scratch on the bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Re: Finally it happened

Make sure that you have it in first gear and roll forward until it stops against the transmission gears before deploying the sidestand. It will be upright when you return if you do.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
Make sure that you have it in first gear and roll forward until it stops against the transmission gears before deploying the sidestand. It will be upright when you return if you do.
Yup, that is exactly what I did when I came back home. Thanks

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:24 pm

That sucks.

You may take some comfort in the fact that you got your inevitable drop out of the way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Don't feel too bad, it happens to many of us. There is a big difference between watching a video and understanding exactly what you are seeing.

Carol Youroski's website has a list of tips as well as videos at the bottom of this page on the finer points of how to pick up the bike.

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:56 pm

The video is great if you are the approximate same height as the participants. At 6' 5", it is a really poor angle when you try and put your butt against the bike and not have your knees under your chin. Hard to lift that way.

Oh, I managed to get it back up (not that I dropped it you understand ).

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:51 pm

I dropped mine the other day too - first time in my life. the bumbers worked like a charm. I was making a really tight u-turn in a dark parking garage, and I had my sunglasses on. I think the darkness messed up my coordination and I just dropped it. After 7 years of riding and many many many miles, I NEVER dropped a bike. This dragon is tough!
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 5:10 am

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world: those that have and those that will.

I found the longer I'm a Will at something, the more paranoid I get. And I'm also a believer and victim of Murphy's Law: it will happen at the least opportune moment (or in rider vernacular: when accumulating cool points count the most).

I'm a have and my cool points are about even.

Regards, and ride safe!
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
Roll it forward until it stops with the clutch engaged. This is the important part. If it rolls back, the side stand will just slide until the bike stops against the transmission. If it rolls forward any at all it tends to fall. This bike leans more than any other I have ever had and you think it's gonna tip even with the side stand out, especially 2 up!...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50
...This bike leans more than any other I have ever had and you think it's gonna tip even with the side stand out...
Footnote to your comment above: I try very hard to park on either a dead-level surface or a very slight upslope ahead of the front wheel. Also, I never park on a very slight right-to-left downslope. Parking on the sidestand on a right-to-left downslope puts the bike too far over on the sidestand to get it back up to vertical without excessive effort. Most gas stations have a very slight downslope towards the street, so I always try to pull up to the pump with the street on my right.
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 5:44 am

Hallen12 has just beaten me to it and said it all. I can understand dropping a bike on the move but just cant understand someone putting it on the sidestand pointing downhill. Any bike. Its obvious its just going to roll off.

I wonder is this lack of 'precognition' a factor of the bigger bikes now having reverse. Having come to the bigger touring bikes via a 1200GL I can tell you that its instinctive for instance to park rear wheel to the kerb. The other way round and you'll need volunteers from the audience to heave it out. Since reverse now makes light of this situation maybe it's making riders less critical of their surroundings when parking generally.

There's no need to engage any gears - just park it right!

Kevin.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Kevin,

Sorry, must disagree. It only needs a SLIGHT incline for the bike to start rolling.

Why worry ?. Just stick it in 1st gear and all your problems are over.
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Well, that's life.

I have dropped my LT all together five times. And there is no way to get it up by my own. Don't ask how somebody can do that 5 times. It just has happened. No big damage. Only small scratches.

But when I compare in to Goldwing I had before I bought my LT. I have dropped it twice. And both times I have been able to pull it up alone. There is a difference.

Still I love my LT.

Leiboshi
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 5:21 am

Simoncharles,

Yes that's all, but it'll but a slight uphill incline if you simply point the other way!

Kevin.
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 6:22 am

Is that an Irish joke ?.
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:04 am

I am not big, 5' 11" 175, but I can lift her from the left side at least alone as long as there is someone to stabilize her once I get her up. But I don't use the back to the bike method. I put my chest against the bike get a good grip stretch my legs out almost parallel to the ground and as long as the surface is non-skid, can get her back to vertical. Not recommending this, but that's what I have done. However, it's much better if you have another body to help you lift.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 8:18 am

It wasn't intended to be. However I now notice a second 'but' where a 'be' should've been. Maybe that makes it funny???

Kevin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in