ABS and REVERSE GUIDENCE - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:17 am Thread Starter

ABS and REVERSE GUIDENCE

Old story: I have the alternating ABS lights (2001) and reverse not working.
I am looking for suggestions past what I have done. Any ideas would be helpful.

I have the bike completely stripped down to the basic frame: no tupperware and tank removed:

I have completed the ABS dianostics. I get a 7 count on the meter. ( abs control unit) I have not been able to reset the ABS lights. I do get it to go to one light (right side) but when turning ign off and on it goes back to alt lights.

The bike is on a lift and I have not taken it out yet to see if that will help.
WE also did a complete flush on the braking sytem, front, rear and ABS unit (The fluid was brown but clear now)

I have looked to see if there is a wire missing from the battery to the ABS unit but I have not been able to trace one. By the way the battery is brand new ( 2 months old)

Any suggestion other than a new controller ?

REVERSE: INOP, I get the dash light, The RPM increases but no movement. I have done a check on the reverse switch and it checks OK on a meter. I know there are a couple sensors. Is there anyway to check these and if so is there a resistance value. Is there a common sensor that fails? Is there someplace else I should look?

Its been great fun tearing into the bike once I removed the Tupperware. My biggest complaint is that none of the connectors are marked to ID them( wiring). I am trying to find a power line under the fairing for a relay and switch so I can install some driving lights that turn off with the bike. Also I want to run some additional power to the handlebars for aux toys. Anybody able to recomend power outlets and a source for them.

Thanks to all
Al Young

Al
1977 R75/7
2001 K1200LTC sold
2009 K1200 LT :sold
2014 R1200RT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:07 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: ABS and REVERSE GUIDENCE

You may have to do the roll off test before the lights go out on the ABS. So you may be OK once that is performed. At least you will know if you have cleared the fault.

The reverser controller provides a signal to the starter relay (throught the start button)- sounds like that is the part you are missing. If the starter was running you would be moving. The sensors usually allow a few seconds movement then it stops, when they are disconnected or fail.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:46 am Thread Starter

I dove into the electrical box and on the wiring diagram it shows a black wire fronm the starter relay to the load relief relay. If all is correct that line shows open. I do not see anywhere else that wire goes? I tried to trace the wires from one to the other but it enters a sheath and it looks like it goes to the rear of the bike?

Thanks for the input on the ABS. Hopefully the role on test will do the trick.
I may be finished playing this weekend and will report back if that works out.

Thanks
Al

Al
1977 R75/7
2001 K1200LTC sold
2014 R1200RT:

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My diagram does not show a wire from the starter relay to the load relief relay. The load relief relay gets its gound from the starter motor (that is why it opens when the starter is running). The reverser controller has three heavy wires, one to the battery and one to the starter feed tie point (the terminal block just behind the battery ,this is where the starter relay ties to the starter) and the third goes to ground.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

John,

I do show the black wire on my diagram ( for a 2001) It does show the black wire to the starter and also to the load relief relay. I have checked resistance from the black wire lead at the bottom of the load relay socket back to the starter relay and I am showing that circut open.

Now with that being said, I can not trace the wire between both. It looks like the wire goes to the rear of the bike in one of the harness and not directly to the load relay.

I will try to check continuity between the load relay and the starter.

Thanks for the input. It may be possible we have two different wiring diagrams. Where is yours from? mine is in the Clymer manual up to 2005. your information may be alot better and I may be chasing nothing

Al

Al
1977 R75/7
2001 K1200LTC sold
2014 R1200RT:
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 3:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If that wire was open then the lights would never come on when you turn the key on. That wire is the one that grounds the load relief relay and turns ON the lights. When 12 volts is there (during starter operation) the load relief relay opens and turns off the lights. Hope that helps as you may be chasing the wrong black wire as it is a small diameter to the load relief relay.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in