A question to the Board about Self Servicing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:32 am Thread Starter

A question to the Board about Self Servicing

I have a Question i need to Ask the experts here.

I just Purchased a 2008 LT a few weeks ago. I Have a few Buddys with BMW bikes and they have advised me to do the following ...
600 mile service (getting done this Friday) as well as 6000, 12000, 36000 get done at dealer.....and do the rest of the sevices yourself.
I am not that strong of a greese monkey but i want to get my hands dirty with with my new baby and am looking forward to spending quality time with her.

I have worked on my past bikes before but it has been 20 years ago when they were more simple to work on....and nothing major...

Do you guys think i should just stick with Servicing through BMW....or is it something i could tackle myself....I dont want to screw anything up or mess up the Warranty.

In advance i would like to say thanks...This Forum has been very helpfull to me. and i am learning some great tricks and treats from you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:46 am

Re: A question to the Board about Self Servicing

Welcome
Get the tools
get the service DVDs
Get the clymer service manual
Get ya hands dirty

It is great fun and with the help of this board you will be fine.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:49 am

Thumbs up Re: A question to the Board about Self Servicing

I would suggest that you hook up with local LT owners and host or attend a tech session where you'll make new friends and learn to work on your bike. Did I mention you will be saving lots of money too?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
I have a Question i need to Ask the experts here.

I just Purchased a 2008 LT a few weeks ago. I Have a few Buddys with BMW bikes and they have advised me to do the following ...
600 mile service (getting done this Friday) as well as 6000, 12000, 36000 get done at dealer.....and do the rest of the sevices yourself.
I am not that strong of a greese monkey but i want to get my hands dirty with with my new baby and am looking forward to spending quality time with her.

I have worked on my past bikes before but it has been 20 years ago when they were more simple to work on....and nothing major...

Do you guys think i should just stick with Servicing through BMW....or is it something i could tackle myself....I dont want to screw anything up or mess up the Warranty.

In advance i would like to say thanks...This Forum has been very helpfull to me. and i am learning some great tricks and treats from you all

Even if you don"t do anything to your bike, try to visit a tech session near you and watch. Then after you see that it isn't that intimidating, you may want to do your own.

I find that doing some work yourself is a satisfying experience and part of the hobby.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Plus 1 to ALL of the above posts!

Not only will you save several thousand dollars in labor fees (REALLY) you'll get to know your bike better. The LT is not hard to work on if you have the right tools - and they are nothing special.

Probably the most important one you'll need to purchase is a quality torque sensing power screwdriver to remove/install the torx screws that hold the tupperware in place.

Make sure you keep a detailed log of any work you do and keep receipts. In case of a future warranty claim you may need them. There is absolutely nothing in the warranty that says that these services need to be done by a BMW dealer. Many of them are much easier to have done at the dealer - like valve adjustments and ABS brake bleeding - but you get to pay the big $$$ for their time.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Amen to what has been said above! The LT can be a bit intimidating to work on at first. Some things might be better left to the dealer...depending on your comfort level. This board is an extraordinary resource and will be more than happy to give advice (or lend a hand if you're reasonably close). The Paul Sayengh service DVD's are a great initial resource. Once you build a comfort level you'll be well on your way to further servicing techniques! The self-satisfaction from doing the job yourself (plus $$$ saved) is significant.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:45 pm

Totally agree with all you seniors.
As a BMW newbie I felt intimidated, even though I had worked on all my bikes for the past 40 years. Finally someone here told me underneath the plastic, it's just a bike. Starting to do my own work again has had the following rewards for me:
1. Appreciation for the inner workings of the amazing machinery, and much less worry about strange new noises (dry clutch, popping fuel injectors, etc) coming from my BMW.
2. Questioning the wisdom of Bavarian design engineers (fuel filter/air filter is located where?)
3. More confidence to make longer rides

Welcome to the forum....worth it's weight in Platinum.

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone...I feel Better.....I really do want to get some Dirt under the Nails. I Would love to attend one of the Tech Sessions....How do i find out more information on that???

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #9 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Thanks Everyone...I feel Better.....I really do want to get some Dirt under the Nails. I Would love to attend one of the Tech Sessions....How do i find out more information on that???
Since Menifee is east and a little south of LA, you need to go to the Regional Discussions forums and follow the threads in the USA and SouthWest. That forum covers Southern California, Nevada and Arizona. That's the best place to find a tech session in your area.

Have fun getting your fingers dirty!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:37 pm
Gold Supporter

Oh you meant the bike.....whew, for a minute there I thought you meant....well never mind what I thought.

Does this involve tools? Okay I'm leaving now.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #11 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:14 am

My views differ a bit from the average. I beleive in letting the dealer (if you have a good one) do all the work while it is under warrenty. Makes any future warrenty issues pretty much a non-issue when it comes to determining the quality of the work that was performed. That is an issue that can, but might not, occur for potential warrenty work where you do it, or a third party does it for you.

When my factory warrenty runs out, and my extended warrenty kicks in, I will do all the work I can do myself and maintain the records for any of the work that I do on my LT. Anything I can't do, I will take in to the dealer to get them to do it.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 2:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
My views differ a bit from the average. I beleive in letting the dealer (if you have a good one) do all the work while it is under warrenty. Makes any future warrenty issues pretty much a non-issue when it comes to determining the quality of the work that was performed. That is an issue that can, but might not, occur for potential warrenty work where you do it, or a third party does it for you.

When my factory warrenty runs out, and my extended warrenty kicks in, I will do all the work I can do myself and maintain the records for any of the work that I do on my LT. Anything I can't do, I will take in to the dealer to get them to do it.
Arthur
Since were Neighbors can i assume you use Escondido BMW for your Service ?...
If so what do you think of those guys....It is were i purchased the LT

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #13 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 3:03 am

Quote:
Arthur
Since were Neighbors can i assume you use Escondido BMW for your Service ?...
If so what do you think of those guys....It is were i purchased the LT
No, I use San Diego BMW. It's where I purchased my motorcycle. I went to BMW of Escondido once for a repair and tried to go back for a service bulletin, but things didn't work as I thought they should. Let me explain a bit so you'll understand.

My radio was giving me a one second pause (no sound) when it warmed up and the temps were above 80 (most days out here right). It got kind of annoying, so I took it in to Escondido for service. At the same time I wanted my reverse looked at as it would only reverse for about 6 feet (or a couple of seconds if facing downhill). The service manager tried out my motorcycle and tells me it's normal. A few days later after they read the fault codes on the motorcycle I'm told the speed sensor needs replacing to fix the reverse problem and the radio or amplifier also has a problem. But the service manager wanted me to just ride around until the problem became more definitive and they could fix it then.

Over the weekend I got to thinking. Isn't the radio and amplifier one and the same unit? If so, they should just fix it. Right? So I go back that Tuesday when they open up to talk to the service manager, but he's not there that week. Someone else is filling in for him. So I talk to him. He agrees that the radio should be repalced and the reverse gear was caused by the switch not be connected to the harness. Easy fix for reverse, but the radio would require a good part of the week in the shop. I say no problem go for it. So the repairs get done under warrenty and I'm happy. But they would not have gotten done at all if the primary (not wanting to name names online) service manager had of been there that day/week.

The next time when I found out about the service bulletin for the squealing rear brakes, I e-mailed the service department of Escondido. Same manager is back on duty. I'm informed by him that "... the bulitins are repair ideas. Not recalls ..." so it is not a warrenty issue in effect. My next e-mail was to SD BMW. It went like this ...

ME: The rear brake on my LT has a serious squeak/squeal from time to time. When doing some research on the BMWLT.Com forums I found that a service bulletin (34 21 7 711 093) had been issued to correct the problem. My understanding is that this bulletin will replace the brake rotor with 10 partially exposed mounting buttons with a newer style rotor with 5 fully enclosed mounting buttons. So, I wanted to verify this before proceeding to have my LT brought in for service.
Can you verify this service bulletin for me?

SDBMW: BMW has issued a formal bulletin for this issue 34 003 08 (013). I have attached it to this message. I will need to order the brake disc if you desire it.

ME: I think I would like to do so and arrange a date/time to drop off my motorcycle for service. I do want to make sure before we do so that this rotor replacement is covered under warranty, although there may be other expenses (like brake pads if needed). Is that correct?

SDBMW: The rotor is covered under warranty. We recommend to install new pads with a new rotor. We can give your old pads back to you (depending on their wear) so they can be re-installed once the new pads wear out. New pads/installation is $75.48. I have attached an estimate for your review. Are you available to come in on Thursday May 15th?

I had my motorcycle in their hands on the 15th and they provided a loaner bike to get me home and back again to pick up my LT the same day. SDBMW has done other things to get my attention when it comes to quality of service. So much so I had to write a letter to the owner to let him know how I felt.

BMW of Escondido has a great sales & parts department. Don't get me wrong here as they show great customer service. And I do use them from time to time, but honestly when I can my business goes to SD BMW. When it comes time to buy a new motorcycle, I'll probably go back to SD BMW.

I think some of the service issues stem from their commitment to the police department. They always have a slew of RTs there for service. I could be wrong, and it just may be the service manager. Or perhaps the owner set the policy regarding warrenty work. If you didn't know the dealers don't make as much money on warrenty work as they do for out of warrenty work. I couldn't say for sure. I can only say I noticed the difference and so I choose to use SD BMW for my service needs.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 3:33 am Thread Starter

Something I will keep in mind Thanks......

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in