LT Hole Shot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 3:49 am Thread Starter

LT Hole Shot

Was sitting at a light (with the wife) on our 09 LT last week. Was playing with the GPS and then noticed the light had already turned green. Peaked at the rear view mirror and noticed I had a car coming up on me fast. So, I had no choice. I nailed it hard. Nailed the throttle all the way, (while at the same time) feathered the clutch just like the old road racing days. I could not believe it. I got going and the rev's kept climbing after the clutch feather was done, and the clutch was all the way out? I got the clutch actually all the way out, yet the revs spiked all the way around to red line, yet I was hardly doing 10. Let off a bit, nailed it again, and the revs swung all the way to red line again (slipping), with no real gain in speed. Eventually I got everything settled down, but dang - what a wimpy clutch. I know LT's are not made for this. However, I did this once years ago with my goldwing, and not an issue. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this kind of extreme clutch slip with an LT? Talk about stink. A good clutch in this situation, will either kill the engine (poor hole shot technique) or will (should) launch a bike like no tomorrow. Only a worn out clutch would perform like this, but dang this is a 09 with 2,000 miles. Thought the clutch would have a bit more mojo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:18 am

Re: LT Hole Shot

Never having experienced the same scenario, I haven't a clue. I have experienced killing the engine by applying too the clutch too quickly and not enough throttle.

From what I gather, the clutch bearing surface is ceramic, which would lend itself more to longevity than "stickiness". I can't remember a thread on "worn out clutch" so they must be quite durable.

Rodney

2000 Canyon Red LT [I]
2005 Sportster XLCH 1200C
2006 Mongoose XR250
Make sure your Life Assurance is prayed up. Don't leave home without it.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:33 am

Sounds like the clutch may be getting wet. Have you done the weep hole mod?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:50 am

The clutch shouldn't slip period. Mine slipped only slightly on me once and I tore it down and it was alreading starting to shred. I'd have it checked out and look for a leak inside your bell housing............I was in northern Wisconsin last month. I saw hundreds of Harleys but only 3 LTs during the trip...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:56 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyinmaypearltx
I can't remember a thread on "worn out clutch" so they must be quite durable.
I can... There's been a few threads on wearing out clutches, they don't all go with an oil leak. They will wear out doing silly (but fun) things... only got 16,000km out of my first one.
You really need to let the clutch grab before opening it wide... its a slightly different way of taking off, but it might save you a lot of grief later.
Good luck, and get the "weep hole" done anyway.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:16 am

Chinook
I too have the 09, and have experienced the same thing you describe. I must admit not to the same degree, no red line but a horrible "slip" just the same. It occurred with about 385 miles on the ODO and I thought maybe the clutch needed some more "run in time". I have not tried again as I try not to beat on her too much. I now have about 1400 miles and will see how she acts today. I am very interested to hear all the experienced owners chime in here. This is my first BMW and really like it but that does have me concerned. BTW I am not new to motorcycling or hot bikes and think I know how a clutch should work.
Thanks in advance for any replies and insights. Also what is this weep hole of which some of you speak? I guess time for a search, what about warranty issues if I start drilling holes in my brand new bike.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
David

Click here to feed a homeless pet, as they so need it. It,s free to you...

08 rt
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:24 am
cws

Garage
Re: weep hole

"Search" is your friend
Here's a good thread, with the full instructions as pdf..
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...hole+procedure

I was lucky enough that my dealer drilled mine when they replaced the clutch, after I gave them one of the instruction pdf's (not sure if it was this one...)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:32 am

Guys, don't holeshot with your LT - especially to the extent it sounds like chinook spun his up. If you do that even once to that extent you are likely to find yourself having to replace the friction and pressure disks. The LT clutch is not a very robust design, but will last 100k miles if it's not abused.
As was already mentioned, get the bike rolling a little, get the clutch all the way out, then you can get on the gas. Otherwise it's something like 14 hours shop time to replace a beat up clutch.
It bugs me too, even my Harley will smoke the LT for the 1/8 mile runs. Of course after that the Harley wouldn't keep the LT in sight, but it'll win the holeshot everyime

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Guys, don't holeshot with your LT - especially to the extent it sounds like chinook spun his up. If you do that even once to that extent you are likely to find yourself having to replace the friction and pressure disks. The LT clutch is not a very robust design, but will last 100k miles if it's not abused.
As was already mentioned, get the bike rolling a little, get the clutch all the way out, then you can get on the gas. Otherwise it's something like 14 hours shop time to replace a beat up clutch.
It bugs me too, even my Harley will smoke the LT for the 1/8 mile runs. Of course after that the Harley wouldn't keep the LT in sight, but it'll win the holeshot everyime

PLus 1.....I have owned 2 Lt's and it is easy slip the clutch on a brand new one. I too feel this is a very under engineered part of the bike. Hopefully BMW will take this into consideration on the next version LT's.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

I know I should have not hole shot the LT like that, but if it would have worked out like most other bikes, the tach would have been way under 7K. The redline was an accident. It would instantly spin to that each time I would wick the throttle (almost as if I were on a center stand in neutral). It would spin that fast. All I hope is two things (a) get the word out to others so others can learn from my mistake, and (b) if this is a design flaw, hopefully (thru the power of this web site) get the word back to BMW to beef this clutch up. LT's are not made to be launched, but my situation required it. The clutch needs to be stronger. I dont want to spend my own nickel on 14 hours having a tech modify this problem on a two week old 09 motorcycle. BMW is better than that.
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Doctor, Doctor, It hurts when I do this!

Then don't do that.

Seriously your approach to getting out of the way was all wrong for an LT. Less than 2000 rpm until the clutch is fully in, 5 feet max roll, then nail the throttle and shift to second when you hit 60 mph (or you'll get the rev limiter). Nothing can catch you. Practice and stop the wet clutch launches.
I did this once when a guy pulled out in front of me and I was still in second gear at the stop and was pissed and rolled the throttle up past 2500 while I slipped the clutch and all I got was a stink and a slow roll out. (that was 30,000 miles ago on the same clutch)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Dry clutch; high revs and friction zone application? Doesn't sound good.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Had reason to get going in a hurry a few years ago and feathered the clutch some and then it was all the way out and wasn't really gaining a lot of speed. Then noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the back of the LT. Them Metzlers stink and leave a squiggley black line on the road. Clutch held just fine, was riding solo at the time.

B D R
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:11 pm

I don't... Everyone's talking like there's nothing wrong..Other than your abusing the clutch..

Get the bike up to a comfortable speed in 5th gear.. Nail the throttle. If the clutch slips then you've got a clutch problem. Slave cylinders fail on these all the time. If you're slave has failed then that's the reason your clutch is slipping. Several other seal failures will cause the same issue.

Be sure your problem isn't a failed slave or other seal...

Good Luck.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #15 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 1:18 am

I'd be happy if the motor on my 2009 LT had lasted longer than 381 miles and allowed me to experience a weak clutch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in