Rookie self-maintenance readout - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:31 pm Thread Starter
fjr

Rookie self-maintenance readout

I’ve just completed my first self-maintenance of my 2002 K1200LTE. It was quite a rewarding experience and would not have been possible without all the previous postings and the responses to my initial posting once I started. I learned quite a lot about the machine on this endeavor and have numerous doubts about prior service from the dealer (certainly the fuel pump assembly should be held by both clips and not just the bottom one!) Future self-services will just get easier and quicker! It has been HOT in this part of Texas so I have not missed many rides.

I changed/replaced: fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, engine oil & filter, transmission oil, rear drive oil, and radiator coolant. Other than topping off the handle reservoir, the brake fluids were clear and at the proper levels in the main reservoirs; the brake fluids were flushed/drained during my 2007 dealer service. Likewise for the clutch fluids. The complete bike is getting a detailed cleaning as it is very easy to carry out when the pieces are removed or exposed.

By doing it myself, I’ve saved right at $580 (compared to my 2007 dealer service) and mostly along the line of labor charges. This will pay for my new Cee Bailey’s (arriving day after tomorrow!!) and a few tanks of high-octane. Once I get the new windshield on the bike, I’ll take her out for a spin to double check I did not miss a bolt or three.

My sincere thanks to all of you who shared your experiences, recommendations, detailed pictures, and explanations. No way to carry out this type of effort without the pervasive sharing of information. “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants”

Fernando J. Rueda
2002 K1200LTE
Magnolia, Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:32 am

Garage
Re: Rookie self-maintenance readout

I'll second this!

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:55 am

Hey FJR...be sure to keep an eye on the South Central section. There is usually a RTE (Ride To Eat) going on once a month and most of the Tejas folks will attend. It's a great way to meet others.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Hey FJR...be sure to keep an eye on the South Central section. There is usually a RTE (Ride To Eat) going on once a month and most of the Tejas folks will attend. It's a great way to meet others.
OMG, isn't he Lonewuff's neighbor???

It's ok, Fernando - Jerry's scoot just 'looks' like a PD motor cuz it's white!! Lately, he's gone to the dogs - lots of 'em!! And some of 'em scary smart, butt I'm not sure what (who) that's compared to!!

BTW - just to keep you in practice, next time Grif hosts a tech session, ride up to New Braunfels and participate. Won't be long - I got some valve 'buckets' that need changed on ole Toad. 'Sides, Grif chef's a mean lunch, so bring yore hongries. And there is always PIE to wash it down with!!

Ride safe, Fernando.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:46 am

Hey FJR,

I'm planning to do the same myself (recently bought a 2000 LT).
Can you post a couple of links to the topics you reviewed. I'm wandering what kind of oil to use as well.

Thanks,
Andrey
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:53 pm

When you removed the gas tank did you install quick-release fittings or new/re-used compression fittings? If so which ones? Thanks. Tom H. via: CDRPRN

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Good for you Fernando, I will be doing my 1st self maintenance this winter on my 02 LT. I have 62k on it and am tired in paying big labor costs. Everytime I took it in, the BMW guys would say how long it takes to take off the fairing etc. Last year on the return of a Xcountry trip, I needed a new radiator (long story) I was a Blue Moon Cycles in WI (Great place) and watched the master Mechanic Earl take off my fairing in about 10 minutes. I then realized I could do this also.
I know that it will take me alot longer, but when you see that most of these 12/24 check consist of changing sparkplugs and filters, I figure that if I can do it myself, I would save alot of money.
Addionally, regarding the clamps for the full pump. The reason my radiator broke was that My fuel pump line came off in Oregon, during the resulting tow, the tow truck guy dropped my bike, breaking several parts. At BMW of Western Oregon, They stated that often times the clamps which are ONE TIME ONLY USE are re used by mechanics and they can fall off rather easily if they are reused. They said that they always bolt on the clamp to prevent that and also it holds better.

I will be looking around this site for ides and might be writing in later for assistance. Received my Clymers book yesterday. Wish me luck
Again, Fernando, good job, bet you feel good about that
Hammer
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
fjr

I intentionally did not mention brands in my post because my readings have shown that these topics border on religious/political convictions. You can Search the forums for “oil/spark_plug replacement’ and similar to uncover all the threads and opinions. For me, Wolfgang said it best (paraphrased): “Major brands will not put out an inferior product – stick with a major brand”. Just be sure you stay within the specs.

With that said, I went with Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 15W50 for the engine and Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 75W90 for the transmission and rear drive. The oil filters were from beemerboneyard.com as the Bosh K-Bike Master Oil Change Kit. This includes a filter wrench, which will be required. I subsequently learned the filters can be purchased more cheaply from rockauto.com. I bought the NGK 6046 (Iridium IX) plugs from RockAuto as a 4-pack.

My bike already had the gas tank quick-release fittings so I did not pursue this much. BeemerBoneYard offers what seems to be a nice set and you can search the Forums for other opinions.

I have not figured out how to post other links yet. If you search my previous thread “Rookie questions about fluid changes”, scroll down to the post from JOEGOTTBERG. He provides a terrific link that has details and pictures on how to perform fluid changes.

I already had most of the sockets and TORX sockets for the job. The additional ones (for example 14MM & 8MM Allen sockets) I got at the local Sears Hardware Store as I am an old Craftsman believer. You will also need a funnel with a hose or one of those “curly funnels”. You MUST have a torque wrench. To convert NM to foot-pounds, multiply NM * .7376 (http://www.boltscience.com/pages/convert.htm).

Thanks to the others about the local rides and tech sessions. Dick -- Is Grif the “lubricant sniffer”?

Fernando J. Rueda
2002 K1200LTE
Magnolia, Texas
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr

Thanks to the others about the local rides and tech sessions. Dick -- Is Grif the “lubricant sniffer”?
Sniffer?? Nah, he's the taste-tester and chugga-lugger. Boy does have his favorites in the lube family. Wait'll you see his 'gearage', as he calls it. And btw, if he ain't got a tool you're lookin' for, then you really don't need it. I think there are some shop mechanics that'd be jealous of Grif's shop inventory!!
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
fjr

Perfect! New Braunfels is one of our favorite rides. Nice riverside restaurant (Gristmill) with decent food. Please ping me so I do not miss the session. Do wives also attend these things or is it a guys-only thing?

Fernando J. Rueda
2002 K1200LTE
Magnolia, Texas
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:11 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr
Perfect! New Braunfels is one of our favorite rides. Nice riverside restaurant (Gristmill) with decent food. Please ping me so I do not miss the session. Do wives also attend these things or is it a guys-only thing?
Wives are encouraged to come. this was the last one we had last month. Look at post #117 and down. for pics.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...4&page=3&pp=50

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr
Prolly pretty boring for the wives, Fernando. On occasion, one or two SOs have bravely stayed the course, butt I know they'da rather been somewhere else!! And they don't usually make a return appearance!!

Of course, Gruene is just down the road, and there is plenty to do there in the way of shopping and ogling in all the shoppes.

Someone will ping ya when the tech session happens. Might be awhile, cuz CCR is just around the corner and after everyone returns from that event, it'll prolly be time for some wrenching. Stay tuned to the South Central forum for any indications.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 3:31 am

FJR,

It is just perfect answer.

Thank you!

Andrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in