How difficult can the center stand be? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Cool How difficult can the center stand be?

I am a new LT rider and just got my '00LT a month ago. I am still getting used to the feel on the road but I really like this bike. I had a PC800 about 10 years ago and this is like its great big brother. I decided to try and put the bike up on the center stand last night (no power stand) but either I am too wimpy or dont know the trick to it. Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Re: How difficult can the center stand be?

Standing on the left side facing the seat,
on the side stand,
right foot on the center stand lever,
left hand on the clutch grip,
Right hand on the lift handle,
ease the bike up to 90 degrees while gently pressing the center stand down, until both feet of the center stand are in contact with the floor,
press downward with all your weight on your right foot while pulling upward with your right hand, the bike will rock up onto the stand base.

Only use the left hand to balance the motorbike.

A technique or art fore sure.

NomDePlume
Paris
السلام عليكم
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:24 pm

It's all about putting your weight DOWN on the center stand arm and levering the bike up... If you try to lift her you're gonna hurt yourself...Use the Handle to help yourself push down....

If it won't go up you might crank down on the rear shock adjuster to get her all the way into the air. If your bike has been lowered in some way it might be difficult to put on the center stand. I have rolled my RT back wheel up on a piece of 2X6 and then put it on the stand...
My Yamaha also needs the board....

But mostly it's about putting your weight down on the stand lever...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
But mostly it's about putting your weight down on the stand lever...
As Sammy Sosa would say, "Assoluly".

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:50 pm

... and if, using the proper technique, the bike is STILL very difficult to put up on the center stand, consider having shock fluid added to the rear shock absorber (or replacing the shocks - much more expensive).

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Yes it's not easy even with the correct technique. I'm 220lb and I've been lifting weights for 10 years, it's still hard for me.
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

I once took Ron Miller's suggestion of using your left foot and faced to the rear of the bike, right hand on side case and left on handlebars, step down on center stand and ensure it's resting on both feet. With a firm step up on the stand she pops right up. Been doing it that way ever since.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:15 am

Talking Re: How difficult can the center stand be?

It also helps to weight 230#! When all else fails, the side stand works!

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDePlume
Standing on the left side facing the seat,
on the side stand,
right foot on the center stand lever,
left hand on the clutch grip,
Right hand on the lift handle,
ease the bike up to 90 degrees while gently pressing the center stand down, until both feet of the center stand are in contact with the floor,
press downward with all your weight on your right foot while pulling upward with your right hand, the bike will rock up onto the stand base.

Only use the left hand to balance the motorbike.

A technique or art fore sure.
This is a perfect example of how NOT to do it - and a great technique for injuring yourself - as many already have over the past 9 years...

To elaborate a bit on Jerry's description:

Put your left hand on the left handlebar grip, full lock to the left, LEFT foot on the centerstand pad, face the rear with your left hip touching the seat, right hand on the sidecase grip - not the grab bar under the seat.

Stand up straight with your back arched (instead of hunched over) putting equal force on both arms and your left leg. At this point you will be standing with all of your weight on your left leg on the center stand pad with your right foot dangling in the air.

It will almost fly up by itself...

Any other method is guaranteed to mess up your back.

If it is still difficult to get up you need to add some fluid to the rear adjuster as Bob mentioned - this is a huge factor in making it easier...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 15th, 2008 at 8:42 am.
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:29 am

Can't wait to get home now and try Rons way. I rarely use the stand due to it being a royal PITA

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #11 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:53 am

Garage

Considering it is an "00, make sure it is lubricated...with it on the side stand, check the center stand for free movement....may have to take it apart for a complete cleaning...TIP: with bike on center stand, put pennies between all the spring links?, then take bike off center stand...pennies will keep spring stretched...spring will come off much easier....I could get mine up with ease, then it started getting harder to due, lubed it & problem solved.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:32 am

I am 230# and I could NOT get her up on the stand at first. I bought the bike used and when I began to look at maintenance items, I found that a lower profile tire had been put on the rear. That made it impossible for me to get it on the stand. After replacing with 880's, she hops right up! I do it with the left foot, mostly facing forward, and rock it a couple of times before going for the real lift. I was timid at first, afraid I would drop her. You can feel it when both "feet" of the stand are on the ground - then "go for it".

'08 Goldwing Comfort/GPS
'03 Silver LT
'93 Harley FLHTC
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'59 Excelsior
'60 Cushman Super Eagle (for my paper route)
Reg Gosnell
Cypress, TX
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggosnell
I am 230# and I could NOT get her up on the stand at first. I bought the bike used and when I began to look at maintenance items, I found that a lower profile tire had been put on the rear. That made it impossible for me to get it on the stand. After replacing with 880's, she hops right up! I do it with the left foot, mostly facing forward, and rock it a couple of times before going for the real lift. I was timid at first, afraid I would drop her. You can feel it when both "feet" of the stand are on the ground - then "go for it".
Going for the "real lift" and "going for it" is going to get you nothing but an appointment with a surgeon for a hernia repair.

Read my post above and save yourself a lot of grief. There is absolutely NO hard lifting or jerking required to get an LT up on the center stand, especially at 230 lbs.

When I first recommended this technique years ago I was roundly bashed by all the old dogmas on the site that assured me there was only ONE proper way to get the LT on the centerstand - and that it required brute force, rocking and straining, and that no one short of Hercules could do this without busting a nut. They recommended abandoning the center stand and just using the side stand since it was so much hassle.

Then I demonstrated that a 120 lb, 5' 4" woman (my wife) could do this without breaking a sweat...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:35 pm

I actually find the LT to be very easy to put on the center stand. It is surprisingly easier than with my 750 Magna which is a much lighter though.
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 3:07 pm

I have found that it makes a big differnce if the side case handle is used rather than the one intended for lifting. With right foot pushing down on the center stand pad, left hand on the handlebar guiding, and right hand gripping the side case handle, I'm able to put it on the stand a lot easier than if I use the lifting handle under the seat.
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberay
I have found that it makes a big differnce if the side case handle is used rather than the one intended for lifting. With right foot pushing down on the center stand pad, left hand on the handlebar guiding, and right hand gripping the side case handle, I'm able to put it on the stand a lot easier than if I use the lifting handle under the seat.
I agree, I found it easier when the side case handle is used
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:47 pm

Garage

Maybe it's just years of experience with various bikes, but putting the LT onto the main stand is fairly easy if you decide that it's going up. Decide that it's a problem, and guess what....

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right" Henry Ford

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBass
Maybe it's just years of experience with various bikes, but putting the LT onto the main stand is fairly easy if you decide that it's going up. Decide that it's a problem, and guess what....

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right" Henry Ford
With a worn rear tire, pre-load adjuster low on fluid and tired OEM shock spring it can be a major pita. I remember when I put my new shock on it was soooooo easy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:22 pm

Does this method work with the GT too? I won't pull the side case off, will I?

I don't have much problem getting the GT up, but I'm still a little nervous getting it down. I turn the wheel away from me a little so it leans toward me when it "lands", but there's always a concern that it'll get away. The LT must be even more fun.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:47 pm

I don't find getting the LT off the centerstand an issue at all. I straddle the bike and drop it off. If I'm clear on front, sometimes I just ride it off.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:06 pm

It's all about using the weight of the bike and momentum to put it on the stand. I weigh 165 pounds and have no difficulty putting it on the stand.
Just Don't try and do it on a hill where taking it off the stand is up hill.
Talk about a tough situation. lol

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in