How far can you lean?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

How far can you lean??

I just got my first used LT a few weeks ago and getting used to the weight in city driving is a challenge but I'm getting the hang of it. I managed to drop it at the gas station. Touchy front brake brought it to a quick stop while I was attempting a very slow turn around the gas pumps. I knew it would happen eventually.

I've not been on a bike in over a decade and I get a little nervous on the turns. I'm getting over that but I keep wondering... how far will this baby lean on the turn before she lays down?

I've seen comments on other threads that she'll go over pretty far but I'm too much of a chicken to push it too much. I guess practice is the course of action to take but some input from the community would help me out.

Lastly, I'm sure you've all seen the guy popping the wheelie on the LT. He power slides that bike into his right turn. If both brakes are engaged when either is used, how do you get the bias enough to do that??? I don't want to pop wheelies. I do want to learn how to turn confidently in tight areas.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 6:56 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: How far can you lean??

How tight were you able to turn in your EMC class? Oh...

Stop waiting and take the class then you will find out for yourself and possibly learn info that could save your life. If it has been ten years since you have been on a bike you are going to be rusty at best. I had been riding for 35 years without a break, L.E.O. training and logging hundreds of thousands of miles, when I learned I had to take an EMC to be a Road Captain. I went thinking "What are THEY going to teach ME" but spent the entire day with my chin on the ground in shock at what I was learning to do with a bike.

Learn to crawl then walk and that will teach you all you need to run.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 7:17 pm

IT is virtually impossible to get the LT to lean over far enough.
The thing would be better if it had another four inches of clearance without raising the ride height.

AttN Haters: I said four inches WITHOUT raising the ride height. Possibly if it were more narrow at the bottom.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

I should state that I do know about countersteering and use that method. I am taking classes this week and hope to have more insight and valuable practice off the street to help build my confidence.
post #5 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:24 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZ
I've not been on a bike in over a decade and I get a little nervous on the turns. I'm getting over that but I keep wondering... how far will this baby lean on the turn before she lays down?

I've seen comments on other threads that she'll go over pretty far but I'm too much of a chicken to push it too much. I guess practice is the course of action to take but some input from the community would help me out.
Howdy Jim,

The good news with the LT is that it has many ways to communicate to the Rider where you're at in a lean:
- If your shocks are good and the pre-load set properly you'll feel your footpegs start to vibrate and then rise up.
- Lean over a bit more and you'll hear the center stand (even with the rubber stops cut to half their length) and feel the vibration of the scraping through the seat.
- A bit further and you'll hear a loud buzzing type scraping noise that is the lower fairing on the asphalt.

After that, if you keep leaning, then you're in territory I haven't explored

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smaller lean.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	18712  

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Jul 14th, 2008 at 8:34 pm.
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:39 pm

At a recent class on the track, I took the LT into new territory for me. I was very impressed at how solid and stable it is at extreme lean angles. I think the attached is the lap I ground the brake peddle a bit, but I learned in later laps that getting off the seat more allowed higher speed with less lean.

As others have said, take a class, have some fun!

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn 3A.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	18713  

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 9:15 pm
cws

Garage

This far (have audio on) when you've got a little speed up and have already taken out the centrestand edges.
A ride day at a track is great for even-ing out the peg wear on both sides.
and this is too far... courtesy of some sand on the road...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
This far (have audio on) when you've got a little speed up and have already taken out the centrestand edges.
A ride day at a track is great for even-ing out the peg wear on both sides.
and this is too far... courtesy of some sand on the road...
Nice video. My brake lever is bent up like that and my shifter has some road rash on it. The fairing has holes. and my pegs are ground down. Thats as far as I'll lean on it. It would still go a bit further with the ME880 on the back. The Avon doesn't have quit the cornering angle as the 880. I quite leaning so far over because I'm afraid of tearing up the shifter. I wish I had some aftermarket shocks that raid it up 2 inches.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"

Last edited by Steve_R; Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:53 pm.
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I just got my first used LT a few weeks ago and getting used to the weight in city driving is a challenge but I'm getting the hang of it. I managed to drop it at the gas station. Touchy front brake brought it to a quick stop while I was attempting a very slow turn around the gas pumps. I knew it would happen eventually.

Lastly, I'm sure you've all seen the guy popping the wheelie on the LT. He power slides that bike into his right turn. If both brakes are engaged when either is used, how do you get the bias enough to do that??? I don't want to pop wheelies. I do want to learn how to turn confidently in tight areas.

Thanks.
One thing to learn when you're riding the big girl is to avoid using the front brake when traveling under 5 mph, especially in turns. It makes a world of difference in slow speed control.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie
At a recent class on the track, I took the LT into new territory for me. I was very impressed at how solid and stable it is at extreme lean angles. I think the attached is the lap I ground the brake peddle a bit, but I learned in later laps that getting off the seat more allowed higher speed with less lean.

As others have said, take a class, have some fun!

-Scott
Scurrie...I remember you attending the class at Pacific Raceway. I was working corner #3....you were doing a nice job handling those twisties on the big girl!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #11 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Yup.

You will start scrapping plastic before you get into unsafe territory.

If you lower the pegs, you probably never hear the center stand or plastic scrape.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:59 pm
fjr

My experience has been that I will first drag my one of the boots (toes) and then one of the pegs. I try not to go past the toe dragging as the peg drags have detrimental influence on the turn. It may just be my bad posture, but my toes do go first.

Fernando J. Rueda
2002 K1200LTE
Magnolia, Texas
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Scurrie...I remember you attending the class at Pacific Raceway. I was working corner #3....you were doing a nice job handling those twisties on the big girl!
And loving every minute of it! Thanks for watching over us, it was a great class! I'll be back next year.

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:39 am
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks.
You should ride within your limits AT ALL TIMES. You will achieve a comfort level with the bike over time, but allow that time to occur. I also highly recommend you ge to he MSF Experienced Rider Course to help get your skills brushed up.

As for lean, I had the pegs dragging the ground regularly on all of my LTs (99, 02, 05) at speed trough corners. On my 99 LT I was able to drag the lower portions of the bottom fairings a few times as well, and once dragged the tip-over wing on the top of a 6 inch curb going through a corner, taking the pointy end of it off. I backed of a little to a slightly more sane pace on my other 2 LTs, but these are some indications of what the bike is capable of.

As for the LT popping a wheelie and sliding the tires around, it was a specially prepared bike as far as the brakes go for his stunt show.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #15 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:53 am

Quote:
I managed to drop it at the gas station. Touchy front brake brought it to a quick stop while I was attempting a very slow turn around the gas pumps. I knew it would happen eventually.
The brakes are linked, but at low speed the peddle favors the rear brake. Stay off the hand brake around the pumps, parking lot, etc. Most folks will tell you to keep the front wheel straight when you come to a stop, but if you use the brake peddle, you can stop with the bars turned and not drop it. I do it all the time.

Leave it in first when you turn off the engine, put the side stand down and let roll against the gears, then lean it over onto the stand (in fact, I kill the engine by putting the side stand down in first). Keeps it from rolling off the stand.

Practice practice practice.....

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:57 am

Like the others said, you will scrape lots of stuff before you lean too far. I have left quite a bit of metal and maybe a little plastic on corners without the bike even coming close to feeling unstable. I don't even worry about leaning too far anymore.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #17 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:02 am

Wow! CWS, you are some kinda thrill seeker driving on the wrong side of the road like that!!.........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
You should ride within your limits AT ALL TIMES.
There is a problem with that for me. My comfort level is a LOT different then my wife's comfort level. When I scrape, she pops me on the back of the head. The second time I scrape, she gets scared and gets tense. That throws everything out as far as handling.
Might be a long way to Utah.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Jim,

The good news with the LT is that it has many ways to communicate to the Rider where you're at in a lean:
- If your shocks are good and the pre-load set properly you'll feel your footpegs start to vibrate and then rise up.
- Lean over a bit more and you'll hear the center stand (even with the rubber stops cut to half their length) and feel the vibration of the scraping through the seat.
- A bit further and you'll hear a loud buzzing type scraping noise that is the lower fairing on the asphalt.

After that, if you keep leaning, then you're in territory I haven't explored

...then a bit further and you take the front tire all the way to the edge and get rid of the wobbly bits on the 020's.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #20 of 29 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 4:48 pm

The bike will go over to the point to scraping driver pegs, center stand, brake or shifter lever, front plastic, passenger pegs and at the max will scrape the tip over plastic.

I once went into a turn to fast and took it to 10 tenths of it lean and it handled great. The biggest thing was to ride it out. I very rarely scrape today and hope to never do what I did the one time.

As for scrapping the passenger pegs, my wife didn't like it when I did that. I still have scares from that one.

Lean will not be an issue with this bike. Learning to drive it smartly can be. Have a good one.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 5:52 am

How about lean on wet roads? What's the limit there? Did not like the way my Metz worked in the rain last weekend. Have about 4K on them.

Ultra LT

Ultra LT
post #22 of 29 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:56 am

I suggest riding the speed limit on wet roads.

The LT with any tires is not a sportbike.
Mine slips and slides with all tires when it rains.
On wet pavement is no time to be trying any agressive lean angles.
This goes for frigid conditions as well.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 7:31 am

As it says below, "things that have never ......."

My concern on leaning or even riding a little too fast in a curve is the unexpected. Guess I'm timid, but I have been surprised a few times growing up and learning to ride in the mountains of WV and was lucky. Lots easier to slide on 4 wheels than two and the outcome is generally better. This bike will lean till you hear grinding plastic, but if you come upon sand, dirt, wet spots, 4X4's or other assorted trash ( I have) you'd better be ready for the pucker factor. Riding blind will occasionally wake you up real quickly!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #24 of 29 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:41 pm

not to be a party pooper.... but if ya wanna lean, maybe you should get a bike more suited for it.....and if you're grinding your bike away one mm at a time, perhaps you should check the clearence before you buy. do they teach that in the safe riders course?
post #25 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi_n_ami
not to be a party pooper.... but if ya wanna lean, maybe you should get a bike more suited for it.....and if you're grinding your bike away one mm at a time, perhaps you should check the clearence before you buy. do they teach that in the safe riders course?
If you don't enjoy riding and pushing the bike a little, then try a Goldwing, I hear they are good touring bikes...and really enjoy Cracker Barrel parking lots. It's all in fun and what you feel comfortable doing.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #26 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 2:36 pm

I had a GW following me on the Gap today.

I let him feel superior for a few turns... Then I dialed it up.
I never saw him again.

Visit
post #27 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 3:22 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzi_n_ami
Howdy Izzi,

I'm not sure if you were referring to my post, but the line connecting responses is connected to my post so I'll reply.

I do agree with you that it is better to have another bike better suited to the high speed cornering stuff. As you can see in sig line, I've done that with the addition of the K-R and will confess that my general pace set on the LT in the mountains has come down a bit. Usually peg scrapes only now and not all the time.

My original post was in response to a question from a forum member about how far the LT can lean. Sharing the knowledge is important, the essence of what this forum is about.....most of the time.

Lastly, for those with a certain disposition (not sure what to call it) knowledge of the physical limits of the machinery being used, in this case the LT, is important to them. With that understanding a rider can use more of the bikes potential when situations require......even if most the time it's used is only in "spirited" practice in preparation.

PS: I don't recall any mention of lean angle during MSF Basic except for a comment by the instructor about witnessing a student who was a moto-cop on his personal LT during a an experienced course scrape his pannier during a high speed turn drill. The instructor thought sure he was going to low-side, but the rider and the bike made the high speed turn just fine.

The reason I bring this up is that my personal belief about single vehicle, motorcycle, accidents is that many of them are situations in which the rider failed to ask the bike to make the turn. Too many believe they are entering a corner too fast and instead of braking as hard as possible and then getting off the brakes and pushing the bike over to make the turn, ignoring "hard part" scraping, they simply stand the bike up, hit the brakes and go straight off the road without even asking the bike to make the turn.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:52 pm.
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
H
The reason I bring this up is that my personal belief about single vehicle, motorcycle, accidents is that many of the are situations in which the rider failed to ask the bike to make the turn. Too many believe they are entering a corner too fast and instead of braking as hard as possible and then getting off the brakes and pushing the bike over to make the turn, ignoring "hard part" scrapping, they simply stand the bike up, hit the brakes and go straight off the road without even asking the bike to make the turn.

Here is a perfect example of what you are talking about. Straight as an arrow, right off the edge! Click Here
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #29 of 29 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 7:37 pm

I remember that, it was a good video...
The guy easily had it, if only HD riders knew what that front right lever is used for.

Visit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in